Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 03:07 PM

617 posts, read 1,042,207 times

Advertisements

Shaved ice from Doc's Food Store, Aunt Stelle's or TC Shaved Ice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 03:43 PM

124 posts, read 259,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
It's a hot summer. So far the temps have been above the average every day this month.

History : Weather Underground

Also I believe the weather guy said it was the 2nd or 3rd hottest June on record. I wish I was experiencing the same summer you are!!
Two things:

One; those averages are LOW, they always are. I see claims of 95 degree average highs for July and August, but I'm telling you I've lived in Texas for 32 of my 38 years on Earth and most days in July and August reach tipple digits in North Texas. Next year when we have temps in the 100s in June remember that it was this way this year.

Two: I currently reside in Denton and so my average temps are a little lower than those in the heart of the concrete jungle.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:15 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,984 times
There have been many days that were the hottest in at least 15 years. The record high (from all recorded weather history) for today was 106 and we hit 104. I believe at least one of those days when it hit 107 was a record. It's been a hotter summer than usual, no doubt.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:58 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,475,771 times

It's summer - it's hot most everywhere...but far less comfortable the higher the humidity is (e.g. east and southeast or within 300 miles of the Mississippi River)...unless you like to be dripping wet in your own sweat with no relief except seeking A/C.

If you are outside:
#1 Stay hydrated
#2 Seek shade because the direct sun is intense
#3 Wear light colored, loose fitting clothing
#4 Air movement if possible
#5 Don't overdo any work or play

Old 07-22-2011, 12:59 PM

NYC SMASHES RECORD: 103 IN PARK...

NEWARK: 106...

Heat Index Hits 120 in DC...

And some people think it only gets hot in Dallas in the summer...

Old 07-22-2011, 01:11 PM

124 posts, read 259,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post

Just like some people think you only see ice north of the Ohio in winter. Funny how when Dallas gets ice twice a year the Yankees say we're a bunch of idiots, but when they hit tripple digits up north and people effing DIE because they use beer and wine to hydrate that's not stupid it's a tragedy. Again it all goes back to what you know.

Now comes the post from someone saying they have no Ac up north. Well no one had AC in Texas for the first hundred years either and yet you don't read about people of the south dropping like files in the 19th Century summers.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:32 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post

And as I asked a friend in Chicago who was complaining about it being near 100 degrees, how long is it going to last? Two or three days? Then it'll be in the 70s again. Here, the days are rare that it's below 95 in July or August. And this year, anything below 103 has been relatively pleasant. The heat there is like the snow here: rare and short-lived. They're just getting a short taste of what we deal with most of the summer.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:07 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,559,658 times
Quote:
And as I asked a friend in Chicago who was complaining about it being near 100 degrees, how long is it going to last? Two or three days? Then it'll be in the 70s again. Here, the days are rare that it's below 95 in July or August. And this year, anything below 103 has been relatively pleasant. The heat there is like the snow here: rare and short-lived. They're just getting a short taste of what we deal with most of the summer.
Ditto...they're suffering from a HEAT WAVE...wave implying it is temporary. It's a little different from living in the bowels of hell all summer

Old 07-23-2011, 08:47 AM

931 posts, read 2,135,300 times
I have a good window unit in my bedroom. It allows us to have a really nice cool room to sleep in and don't have to run the big a/c near as much.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Ditto...they're suffering from a HEAT WAVE...wave implying it is temporary. It's a little different from living in the bowels of hell all summer
Have you ever spent any time in the southeast during the summer months with the 24/7 dripping wet humidity levels? That's far worse because you cannot escape high humidity unless you go inside with A/C.

Here, if you can seek shade from the direct sun it's tolerable. But in areas of high dew points (high humidity) you cannot escape being soaking wet with sweat unless you go inside with A/C. I much prefer 103 degrees with 25% humidity in the shade than 85 degrees with 70% humidity in the shade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas