Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 01:16 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,819,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I'm curious to know how homeowners in Prosper are faring with selling their homes...homeowners in nearby McKinney (and to a lesser extent Frisco) have been losing money in home sales...
I have been passively watching the home prices in Prosper for the past two years and I have seen them come down noticeably. I don't have any stats gathered on that area, but I can say i have seen an overall trend of getting more for your $$ there.

I am not sure where Crew is getting all these stats, but median home price not the strongest indicator to consider, unless at the very least it is seasonally adjusted.

Personally I like Prosper, mainly because of the larger lot sizes, but it's just too far out, and subject to all the same market conditions as any other town. Therefore, like you I am dubious. : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 02:28 PM

38 posts, read 76,207 times
Funny, just saw this today: Frisco Home nominated for America's Ugliest Home.

Meet America's Ugliest Homes - Yahoo! Real Estate

Would hate to be the neighbors............

Old 07-21-2011, 02:39 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,444,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
I have been passively watching the home prices in Prosper for the past two years and I have seen them come down noticeably. I don't have any stats gathered on that area, but I can say i have seen an overall trend of getting more for your $$ there.

I am not sure where Crew is getting all these stats, but median home price not the strongest indicator to consider, unless at the very least it is seasonally adjusted.

Personally I like Prosper, mainly because of the larger lot sizes, but it's just too far out, and subject to all the same market conditions as any other town. Therefore, like you I am dubious. : )

Now my info is purely anecdotal...too lazy to go digging up stats I attend church in Allen, so have a lot of friends who come down from McKinney,and they tell stories of homes on their blocks going for $50K to $100K below market value...also got parents on my daughter's soccer team who talk about being unable to sell and get out of McKinney due to crashing prices...and we are talking about homes worth well over $300K here...so it's hard to believe all this turmoil is going on in McKinney yet further north in Prosper all is well as Crew indicates...

Old 07-21-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:

for areas with larger lot sizes one could go to Sunnyvale, Murphy, Parker, Lucas, and if you got the real big bucks Southlake...there are just too many other places closer in with equally nice areas for you to go all the way north to Prosper, unless you want to be close to the Oklahoma border

Old 07-22-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
for areas with larger lot sizes one could go to Sunnyvale, Murphy, Parker, Lucas, and if you got the real big bucks Southlake...there are just too many other places closer in with equally nice areas for you to go all the way north to Prosper, unless you want to be close to the Oklahoma border
Closer in to what? Dallas? DFW airport? It just depends on where you work for your statement to be true. As I've stated earlier, I work in Plano. So based on your cities of choice above, I'm looking at the following commutes:

Sunnyvale - 36 miles (30-40 min drive)
Murphy - 18 miles (25-30 min drive)
Parker - 17 miles (30 min drive)
Lucas - 22 miles (30-35 min drive)
Southlake - 28 miles (35-40 min drive)
Prosper - 16 miles (20-25 min drive)

Got no problem with those other cities but I think it depends on where you work, what school district interests you and what kind of house/lot your looking for. So for us and our situation, our choices are really, Frisco (currently live), Plano, Allen, McKinney and Prosper.

Thanks for the input and would love to continue to hear other opinions about those cities if you have 'em!

Old 07-22-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Now my info is purely anecdotal...too lazy to go digging up stats I attend church in Allen, so have a lot of friends who come down from McKinney,and they tell stories of homes on their blocks going for $50K to $100K below market value...also got parents on my daughter's soccer team who talk about being unable to sell and get out of McKinney due to crashing prices...and we are talking about homes worth well over $300K here...so it's hard to believe all this turmoil is going on in McKinney yet further north in Prosper all is well as Crew indicates...
Don't you think that has something to do with population? Prosper at 10,000 vs Mckinney at 132,000? There are some older homes in Prosper (the orig. township) but most of the homes going up are new homes with construction taking place around 2005. The new builders are putting up some spec homes but for the most part are now waiting for the lots to be bought before they break ground. I would think that there just happens to be more homes for sale in McKinney (and older ones) than north. Yes, I do think you can get a "deal" in Prosper on an older home, but not $50-$100K of a deal like what seems to be going on there. Interesting though.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:51 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,681,036 times
Exactly.... "farther out from Dallas" is more convenient for tens of thousands that work no where near Dallas. When we bought a house,looking anywhere past plano would have been a huge drive.We both work on legacy Drive in the corporate area (121 Frisco border)The population of Frisco,Allen,Mc Kinney,Plano and Denton is close to 750,000.That is huge.Dallas is no longer where many professionals work.That right now is becoming a huge problem for Dallas.many corporations and businesses have either signed up for the Collin & Denton county suburbs from the start or moved there.

Dallas and the airport is not a factor for many professionals and non professionals working in the northern suburbs.For example,we have friends that need to commute to hospitals they work out of as well as their offices.Do you know how many hospitals and doctors office are in Collin & Denton counties?Alot.Why would these medical professionals seek a 40 minute plus drive in traffic when they could just live in the Frisco/Plano/McKinney/Allen/Denton area.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:16 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,819,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
Exactly.... "farther out from Dallas" is more convenient for tens of thousands that work no where near Dallas. When we bought a house,looking anywhere past plano would have been a huge drive.We both work on legacy Drive in the corporate area (121 Frisco border)The population of Frisco,Allen,Mc Kinney,Plano and Denton is close to 750,000.That is huge.Dallas is no longer where many professionals work.That right now is becoming a huge problem for Dallas.many corporations and businesses have either signed up for the Collin & Denton county suburbs from the start or moved there.

Dallas and the airport is not a factor for many professionals and non professionals working in the northern suburbs.For example,we have friends that need to commute to hospitals they work out of as well as their offices.Do you know how many hospitals and doctors office are in Collin & Denton counties?Alot.Why would these medical professionals seek a 40 minute plus drive in traffic when they could just live in the Frisco/Plano/McKinney/Allen/Denton area.
How bad is the ride from Prosper to Legacy in peak traffic? When I was there it was a weekend, had no basis to judge. My chances of landing a job in the Legacy area are better than most. I am literally not looking in the city of Dallas, for no other reason I don't want to deal with schlepping into any major city at this point in my life. Where I work now in MA is the equivalent to a Legacy area, or City like Plano in relation to Boston.

Last edited by skids929; 07-22-2011 at 08:25 AM..

Old 07-22-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
How bad is the ride from Prosper to Legacy in peak traffic? When I was there it was a weekend, had no basis to judge. My chances of landing a job in the Legacy area are better than most. I am literally not looking in the city of Dallas, for no other reason I don't want to deal with schlepping into any major city at this point in my life. Where I work now in MA is the equivalent to a Legacy area, or City like Plano in relation to Boston.
380 and Tollway traffic is a non-issue to Legacy. The tollway/121 interchange is set to complete in Jan. 2012. The only real issue I see, depending on when you had to be at work, would be the 380 light to get onto the tollway. I have not yet tested that out yet.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metcalf101 View Post
Closer in to what? Dallas? DFW airport? It just depends on where you work for your statement to be true. As I've stated earlier, I work in Plano. So based on your cities of choice above, I'm looking at the following commutes:

Sunnyvale - 36 miles (30-40 min drive)
Murphy - 18 miles (25-30 min drive)
Parker - 17 miles (30 min drive)
Lucas - 22 miles (30-35 min drive)
Southlake - 28 miles (35-40 min drive)
Prosper - 16 miles (20-25 min drive)

Got no problem with those other cities but I think it depends on where you work, what school district interests you and what kind of house/lot your looking for. So for us and our situation, our choices are really, Frisco (currently live), Plano, Allen, McKinney and Prosper.

Thanks for the input and would love to continue to hear other opinions about those cities if you have 'em!
Prosper is closer to Plano than Parker and Murphy???? You might want to recheck your map

Regardless though let me be clear that ultimately everyone has different wants and requirements...maybe Prosper does appeal to you and your family in a way that no other town does, so if you feel that the benefits outweigh the negatives then by all means go for it.

I think I've said this before but if you are 100 per cent sure that Legacy is the only place you will ever work at then yeah Prosper is doable. But if you are like most people in the metroplex who typically have worked at several different job centers then you are asking for trouble. I and my wife have worked in Uptown dallas, Los Colinas, Downtown Dallas, and Plano...your life would be horrible if you lived in Prosper and had to commute to any of those places other than Plano. But like I said, maybe Prosper is worth the hellish commute. Only you can be the judge of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas