Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2011, 07:24 PM

5 posts, read 23,380 times

Advertisements

Hello.

We have a couple of questions:

1) What are folks' opinion/comments about Windsor, the home builder? Would you say that they are as good as Drees/Highland/AshtonWoods or are they are different kind of builder (if so, how)?

2) Anyone have experience with them in terms of negotiations and how did that go?

3) The lot we are interested in has a 5' retaining wall and they will probably give a lot discount for it. However, we are wondering the disadvantages of retaining walls and what maintenance headaches might come out of it? Is there a way to avoid those headaches? Does builder's 10 yr foundation warranty cover retaining wall issues?

4) Are having retaining walls hard for resale?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 02:16 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,258,757 times
Windsor is a fairly new builder, as in <10 years around. They used to built under a different name Wentworth homes (I think) in Garland in the 90s but those were entry level. They then ventured into the luxury market and started Windsor Homes. I got first introduced to their homes in Rockwall and I was impressed to be honestm they recently expanded to Collin county. I would compare them to Darling, as they are semi-custom builders too and have a very nice product. I have shown many of their homes but didn't sell any yet.

Typically the 10 year foundation warranty does not cover the retaining wall, so get clarification in writing with whichever builder you decide to go with.

Usually homes with a retaining wall don't have a problem for resale if they are in good condition. It's all in the upkeep and drainage.

As far as the prices, have your Realtor do a market analysis of the neighborhood you are considering.

Naima

Old 07-31-2011, 09:05 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
Most homes in my area in Mckinney have retaining walls. It doesn't affect resale, unless it has been neglected and not maintained. Some people actually prefer the look.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:48 AM

3,072 posts, read 8,417,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sks1977 View Post
Hello.

We have a couple of questions:

1) What are folks' opinion/comments about Windsor, the home builder? Would you say that they are as good as Drees/Highland/AshtonWoods or are they are different kind of builder (if so, how)?

2) Anyone have experience with them in terms of negotiations and how did that go?

3) The lot we are interested in has a 5' retaining wall and they will probably give a lot discount for it. However, we are wondering the disadvantages of retaining walls and what maintenance headaches might come out of it? Is there a way to avoid those headaches? Does builder's 10 yr foundation warranty cover retaining wall issues?

4) Are having retaining walls hard for resale?

Thanks.
Hello sks1977,

I have not heard of any resale issues on homes with retaining walls, except ones that have retaining wall issues.

A properly designed and constructed retaining wall should not be any issue at all. Any retaining wall over 4' though should be an engineered design, especially with the smaller sized lots we tend to have here. As Naima pointed out make sure that you closely read the warranty offered and make sure it includes foundation issues due to retaining wall failures.

If you have not started building on the retaining wall lot I would highly recommend that you consider phase inspections. At least three phases; pre-pour before the foundation is poured, pre-drywall before the insulation is put in place, the final when everything is finished and before you take possession. For the pre-pour I would highly recommend that you use a licensed Professional Engineer versed in residential foundations AND retaining walls. From there a good licensed Inspector can perform the remaining two phases. Since you are dealing with a retaining wall it is important to make sure the foundation and retaining wall are properly engineered and constructed. If you need a reference for a good PE let me know.

If you ever have any questions feel free to contact me. Good luck on the build!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas