Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2011, 11:06 PM

13 posts, read 62,003 times

Advertisements

The best I have found (meaning it is readable) is School District Demographics System - Map Viewer

But I don't know how accurate it is.
I am particularly looking at the Plano/Garland/Richardson/Wylie convergence in the Firewheel area. Can anyone confirm that the boundaries on that site are current/correct. It looks like RISD goes east to Jupiter (then GISD begins) and North to collin/dallas county line where PISD begins. Collin county east of maxwell creek shows to be wylie.

I am assuming that most would choose PlanoISD or WylieISD over Garland or Richardson (at least this part of RISD). I would appreciate any input. We are trying to find the best place we can afford to raise our daughters and still be within 30 minutes of NW Hwy and Preston where I work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 11:52 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,253,696 times
Your most accurate boundaries would come from the school district website itself. 3rd party sites may take a while to get updated sometimes.

Naima

Old 08-26-2011, 06:19 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,925,425 times
I can confirm that the boundaries you cited for Plano ISD are correct - the Dallas County line and Maxwell Creek. PISD's webiste has a "School Finder" that will allow you to quickly verify whether or not a given address is in the district.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:56 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,460,676 times
What kind of demographics are you looking for?

Old 08-29-2011, 02:53 PM

13 posts, read 62,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
What kind of demographics are you looking for?
Wwe are both in our 30's with two girls-3 years and 2 months. We would like to be in a place where our daughters can go to our neighborhood school and have other friends in the neighborhood as well. I love the firewheel area--more so that plano/carrolton/frisco just because there are more trees and more nature--it doesn't feel as crowded and paved to me. We had been thinking about trying to find something just north of 190 around Garland Rd./Brand Rd but now starting to look we see that Plano ISD is only a mile or two north of there and it might be worth the extra distance away to get into Plano schools versus Garland ISD. We had been looking at houses in the neighborhood of Abett Elementary (GISD). Just north of there is Stinson Elementary (PISD). Does anyone know about the middle schools in that part of PISD? We have heard that the elementary schools in Garland are good but the middle schools/junior highs are not as desireable.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:10 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,530,974 times
People will scream at you about Plano East vs Plano West. Garland ISD have good schools- good academics and great IB programs.

GISD - IB Program

I love the firewheel area- I live right on the edge of Rowlett and North Garland. If MomofDfw was on she could give you tons* of info on GISD and all they offer as she has several children in the GISD district. I have one child in GISD- and I love it.

I am not sure about the East vs West at Plano school districts. But I know a lot of people had some concern in regards to which side of the tracks to stay on. Personally - it's like whatever to me. If you raise a good child at home- you get a great child at school too.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:03 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,744,800 times
Abbett Elem is GISD, Garland and Dallas Co. Good school, good neighborhood. Mom can definitely fill you in.

Stinson Elem is PISD, Richardson and Collin Co. That school feeds to Otto MS, just a couple of minutes past Stinson going north on NorthStar/Garland Rd. It opened last year. It is listed as Acceptable but the parents I know there LOVE it. From there it feeds to McMillen HS (9-10) which literally opened last week. But did also make Yahoo's news page today because of the construction of the building being so state of the art. All schools east of 75 in PISD feed to Plano East Senior High. (11-12)

There's also Schell Elementary on Renner that you might be interested in those neighborhoods. It has the same feeder pattern.

Miller Elem is closer to Murphy Rd and it will feed to Murphy MS then to McMillen HS and PESH.

As far as any debate over east/west in PISD, please take with a giant grain of salt. All three clusters do a very good job of educating students.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:46 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,153,975 times
From a cursory look, some of that data is out of date. A good Dallas school area very close to Preston and NW Highway (about 10 minutes) is the Stonewall Jackson Elementary area. This area is known for its small-town feel and kids who are life-long friends.

J.L. Long Middle School is an IB candidate and will offer the curriculum starting September 1st. Woodrow Wilson High was designated as an IB World School in March and is phasing in IB grade-by-grade. Pre-IB is taught in 9th and 10th and a smaller number of Juniors are starting the IB Diploma Programme (seniors are also taking some classes but will be inelegible for IB Diploma this year, as it is a two-year programme). Here is the cluster map:

http://www.dallasisd.org/cms/lib/TX0...wilson2011.pdf

Last edited by Lakewooder; 08-30-2011 at 02:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas