Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,428 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm looking for some input on where YOU would want to live if you were me I'm engaged, 32, no kids (not in the plans at all or would at least be in the very distant future), that makes about $100K a year. My fiance and I love sports so Dallas area is an ideal location because we want to be close to professional teams. I will be working in Lewisville and already know the commute from Dallas is not something I would do. Where is a good place to split the distance to work but still be able to go into the city on the weekends? Read about the rail system to/from Dallas and that sounds great! Pretty much looking for a community that has people our age, neat boutique restaurants/bars. I heard that Farmers Branch is less suburbia then some cities north of there and has a younger, successful working crowd. True?

Thanks for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 01:27 PM

695 posts, read 1,447,570 times
I would look at Addison for a young couple looking for a less suburban feel. You'd be close to bars and restaurants, although the light rail doesn't go to Addison so far as I know.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:27 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
I would not equate Farmer's Brandh with "young successful professionals". Maybe you're thinking of Addison which is a bit north off Tollroad & Beltline Rd?

Shops @ Legacy in Plano (Tollroad & 121) is a 20 minute or so drive to Lewisville. Maybe look there? It's mixed use and has apartments, townhomes, shops, restaurars & nighlife.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:29 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse View Post
I would look at Addison for a young couple looking for a less suburban feel. You'd be close to bars and restaurants, although the light rail doesn't go to Addison so far as I know.
No DART rail in Addison or along the Dallas North Tollroad corridor. It runs up 75 side of town and much further west of Addison through Csrrollton & Las Colinas. But Addison to downtown-uptown neighborhoods for a night out on the weekend is just a 20 minute drive. Not bad!

Old 09-21-2011, 01:36 PM

695 posts, read 1,447,570 times
Yeah, I have known plenty of young singles over the years who have lived in Addison. The location is really good for commuting to Lewisville and into to town for nightlife and cultural attractions.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:38 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,065 times
Where are you coming from? If you are wanting to come "to town" for sports, you will likely still need a car. The Mavs & Stars are at American Airlines Center and the Cowboys & Rangers are in Arlington. We don't have the "center city sports" feel that you find in some other big cities.

From what you posted, I think Addison is worth a look. Uptown might be good but would be a bit of a hike to Lewisville for work. Good luck.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:49 PM

6,820 posts, read 14,034,515 times
Is the OP looking for a house or a apartment/condo/townhome. Assuming it's the latter I would go with uptown. The commute to Lewisville would be a reverse commute so it would not be to bad. I always equate Addison with a younger crowd. Las Colinas should also be on her list.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:05 PM

871 posts, read 2,690,142 times
For those saying OP should consider Uptown, re-read the OP:

Quote:
I will be working in Lewisville and already know the commute from Dallas is not something I would do
So Uptown is out. Addison is probably the best bet according to OP's requests.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:07 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,015,433 times
I mostly agree but a "reverse" commute doesn't hold any water in Dallas. Just this morning, there was a major accident in Lewisville closing off one lane on the highway from Dallas. While Uptown would be a fun place to live, the commute to Lewisville will make you crazy. There is no rhyme or reason to where and when backups happen...total crapshoot.

Live close to work and when you're ready to play, you can go anywhere you like without time constraints. I do think Addison is a great compromise...isn't Addison having an Oktoberfest this weekend? Lots of activities there including Taste of Addison in the spring/summer.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:11 PM

871 posts, read 2,690,142 times
If I were you, I would live in Lewisville (assuming you are renting) because it's cheap and use the combo of Denton County Rail (A-Train) and DART Rail for some things, and also drive into Dallas on weekends (no traffic to worry about on weekends). Plus you are going to have to drive for MLB/NFL in Arlington no matter what. (Lewisville is probably good for that too, just straight down 121 to 360 to get to Arlington sports)

If I was dead set against living in Lewisville, my next choice would be some of those mixed use developments in (mainly West) Plano. I have seen them, but don't remember their names. If you are interested, I am sure there are people here who can name them: If I were you I'd like them because they would have same age range/same type of people along with things to do right at your doorstep, like restaurants and cafes and shopping, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas