Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2007, 09:23 PM

3 posts, read 15,772 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are new to the area. We moved here in January from Louisiana. We have been looking at houses since then, but have notice there is a lot of quanity, but lack of quality.

We are currently living in Plano, TX in an apartment. My husband works in downtown Dallas, and we're looking for a good area to settle. We are interested in a quality house, nice area, good resale value (half bought is half sold), good schools (when have a 11 month old), price range $300- $500, nice size back yard with trees, and a 45 min. or less communting distance to downtown Dallas (my husband doesn't commute during peak times).

Do you have any builder recommendations?

Any other advice is welcome.

Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 09:27 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Are you only wanting to build a new house?

Old 05-22-2007, 09:36 PM

No, we are open to new or old.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:44 AM

24 posts, read 111,386 times
Strongly recommend "Dominion at Panther Creek" in Frisco just off Eldorado East of Preston. Prices exactly in your range. Greenbelt lots available in Phase 3. Darling and Grand homes. Darling is the premier builder, however. Can't say enough good things about them. Stonebriar Mall only 10 minutes away. I work near the Galleria and my commute is 45 - 50 minutes at peak hours using the Dallas North Tollway.

Panther Creek has rolling terrain, terraced lots and curving sidewalks. VERY nice and priced appropriately. Area very likely to appreciate better than average. One of lowest tax rates, good schools.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:12 AM

418 posts, read 1,784,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmannersj View Post
My husband & I are new to the area. We moved here in January from Louisiana. We have been looking at houses since then, but have notice there is a lot of quanity, but lack of quality.

We are currently living in Plano, TX in an apartment. My husband works in downtown Dallas, and we're looking for a good area to settle. We are interested in a quality house, nice area, good resale value (half bought is half sold), good schools (when have a 11 month old), price range $300- $500, nice size back yard with trees, and a 45 min. or less communting distance to downtown Dallas (my husband doesn't commute during peak times).

Do you have any builder recommendations?

Any other advice is welcome.

Please help!
Does your husband mind the commute from Plano to Dallas? If not, then I think you should focus on Plano or Frisco if you want a new build. I have a lot of friends that live out there, and they are all happy with their elementary schools. Both are excellent school districts.

If he wants to be closer to work, I suggest looking into Lakewood, Lake Highlands or North Dallas. Lakewood is DISD, and the two main elementary schools - Lakewood and Stonewall are fantastic. Lake Highlands is Richardson ISD, and White Rock, Lake Highlands, Merriman Park, Wallace (which just got named exemplary) and Moss Haven Elementaries are all excellent. I don't know as much about North Dallas, but I'm sure people on here will have ideas.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the info. We have heard a lot of good things about Darling Homes. Do you have any recommendations on other good builders? In addition, if we purchase an older home we want to know that it was built by a good builder.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:05 PM

549 posts, read 2,193,981 times
David Weekly, Landstar, Sotheby, Drees, Highland

Old 05-23-2007, 03:23 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Lakewood fills the bill and you won't waste half your life and savings (gas money) commuting (how about 10 minutes or less?). Plus the appreciation rate in Lakewood proper is double digits (a prominent Realtor told me 18% last week). And there are forests of trees...the schools are great and it's like a small town, plus you have all the advantages of chic shops, hot restaurants, laid-back pubs and plenty for the kids to do. If you want a new home you can find one, but they tend to be quite expensive for your budget. M-Streets (Stonewall Jackson Elem) average around $400K and Lakewood (Lakewood Elem) around $500K (but has homes all the way up to several million).

See the "telll me about Lakewood" thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...-lakewood.html

If your child is 11 months you should be contacting the early childhood PTAs:

http://www.lecpta.org/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gwra/

Also we have an outstanding YMCA everyone supports:

http://www.whiterockymca.org/index.c...PageID=1000994

Old 05-23-2007, 06:40 PM

257 posts, read 945,911 times
You must be picky, because I am house shopping and I cannot get over how many houses I adore and how great the quality is. Choosing is going to be really, really hard.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:06 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
You might look at the Highlands North neighborhood which straddles Campbell Road just west of Coit. Houses are about $350,000 for about 3,500 square feet, many with pools. There are a couple of ponds you can fish or feed the ducks. Houses were built in the 1970s. There is a Dallas hike and bike trail that runs along the west border. Campbell Greene rec center, splashground and park are nearby. Schools are great - Bowie, Parkhill, Pearce. Dallas city limits, but Richardson school district, right on the border of Richardson city limits. About 15 miles to downtown Dallas. You can also pick up the train downtown at Arapaho/75.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas