Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 08:55 AM

527 posts, read 2,169,237 times

Advertisements

I will be purchasing an used car in a month or so and have just taken driving lessons. I have a proper driving license of my home country India.
I have heard that a new driver (like me) can put some sort of note etc on back of car to notify others that the driver is a new one etc.
In my home country, we put a red L sign to specify that the driver is a learner.
On searching the net, i found that in USA it is the STUDENT DRIVER sign.
Can anyone clarify whether this thing varies from state to state or is it common accross all states in the US ?
Also need a clarification whether it is legal to put such a sign when the individual is driving alone on a license of another country ?
Help appreciated.

I was thinking of buying these

Student Driver Signs | Student Driver Magnetic Signs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 08:59 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
I believe those signs are for cars owned by driving schools. I have never seen one on a private car and I doubt people would pay much attention anyway.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:06 AM

812 posts, read 2,183,694 times
Yes, I've never seen this here. The driving school cars usually have some kind of decal or identification on their cars.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:26 AM

527 posts, read 2,169,237 times
Yes driving schools do have and i know this because i just took my 2 hours driving lesson 2 days back and it was there all over on that car's back and front. But from that guy told me, he tells that i can put a STUDENT DRIVER sign on my car just to notify other drivers to be more patient with me.
Putting this sign does not harm anything right ? So i can actually put one for a month or so ?
Although i was comfortable driving for the first time but you see it would take around a month or so for me to be well accustomed with the roads and signs here so i though a better way to avoid people getting angry over me is to keep this STUDENT DRIVER sign.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:33 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
No one will know what it means at all. And people will still get angry.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:06 PM

812 posts, read 2,183,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rak007 View Post
Yes driving schools do have and i know this because i just took my 2 hours driving lesson 2 days back and it was there all over on that car's back and front. But from that guy told me, he tells that i can put a STUDENT DRIVER sign on my car just to notify other drivers to be more patient with me.
Putting this sign does not harm anything right ? So i can actually put one for a month or so ?
Although i was comfortable driving for the first time but you see it would take around a month or so for me to be well accustomed with the roads and signs here so i though a better way to avoid people getting angry over me is to keep this STUDENT DRIVER sign.
go ahead and do it.... it can't hurt, and it may work

Old 09-05-2011, 05:07 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
I wouldn't if I were you.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:25 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,254,649 times
The driving schools are the only ones that put that on their cars here. They use them in Europe too for new drivers and it's a great idea.

Here, people still get mad at them if they are going too slow or are in the wrong lane. We don't have many patient drivers in DFW unfortunately.

My daughter just got her license last week but she practiced for 6 months with me b/4 I let her take the test. I feel more at ease with her being on the road alone now and she doesn't get any dirty looks anymore .

I agree with ggolf, put it up but make sure it's visible from a long distance, not after they crawled up behind you.

Be safe,

Naima

Old 09-06-2011, 03:27 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,745,552 times
To be perfectly honest, unless you are a teenager, people will think you are an employee of the driving school and get that much more upset with you.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:54 AM

213 posts, read 865,457 times
@rak: Are you planning on driving on your Indian license here until you get your Texas-issued DL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: