Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:48 AM

15 posts, read 19,089 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are a couple, mid 30's, with a 1 year old baby, and are moving to Dallas. Work is in Addison, and would like to know the best places to live around this area.
I would like to have restaurants, shops, facilities for my kid ... any suggestions ? thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 01:58 PM

3 posts, read 3,855 times
Are you looking for an apartment or house?

Old 09-14-2011, 04:09 PM

7 posts, read 7,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalou View Post
Hello,
We are a couple, mid 30's, with a 1 year old baby, and are moving to Dallas. Work is in Addison, and would like to know the best places to live around this area.
I would like to have restaurants, shops, facilities for my kid ... any suggestions ? thanks in advance
I have been in Dallas for seven years -- two of those years we resided in old East Dallas (Munger, Matilda, known as the "M" streets) and the latter part moved to North Dallas (five minutes from Richardson, ten minutes from Addison, fifteen minutes from Plano). The "M" streets neighborhood, in my opinion, are more urban sprawl than North Dallas (more suburban). Personally, I love the M streets neighborhood - older homes and tons of access to eatery and theaters (Angelika) located at Mockingbird Station. If you like shopping, I recommend Mockingbird Station and there are tons of shops in Highland and University Park (which is not far from the "M" neighborhood and SMU is located within that area). 75 is conveniently accessed from this side of Dallas.

We live in North Dallas and we are surrounded by everything -- tons of restaurants, grocery stores, shopping malls (Valley View, Galleria, etc), highways (635, 75, etc.) and theaters. My neighborhood is very safe, diverse and educationally, my brother attends J J Pearce High School (my sister also graduated from there). I previously graduated from UT Dallas in Richardson and the neighborhood over in that area is very nice, mainly comprising of housing communities. There are some apartments located by the university of which I do not recommend.

If you stay somewhere within the North Dallas, Addison, Carrollton or Plano regions I would say you should not have a problem having access to restaurants and other social-like places. Plus, it is not far from Addison!

Happy hunting!

Old 09-15-2011, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisB52 View Post
Are you looking for an apartment or house?
I don't really know !! We have a budget of 1000$ / month ... is it enough to rent something nice (preferably 3 bedrooms)

Old 09-15-2011, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamUnique84 View Post
I have been in Dallas for seven years -- two of those years we resided in old East Dallas (Munger, Matilda, known as the "M" streets) and the latter part moved to North Dallas (five minutes from Richardson, ten minutes from Addison, fifteen minutes from Plano). The "M" streets neighborhood, in my opinion, are more urban sprawl than North Dallas (more suburban). Personally, I love the M streets neighborhood - older homes and tons of access to eatery and theaters (Angelika) located at Mockingbird Station. If you like shopping, I recommend Mockingbird Station and there are tons of shops in Highland and University Park (which is not far from the "M" neighborhood and SMU is located within that area). 75 is conveniently accessed from this side of Dallas.

We live in North Dallas and we are surrounded by everything -- tons of restaurants, grocery stores, shopping malls (Valley View, Galleria, etc), highways (635, 75, etc.) and theaters. My neighborhood is very safe, diverse and educationally, my brother attends J J Pearce High School (my sister also graduated from there). I previously graduated from UT Dallas in Richardson and the neighborhood over in that area is very nice, mainly comprising of housing communities. There are some apartments located by the university of which I do not recommend.

If you stay somewhere within the North Dallas, Addison, Carrollton or Plano regions I would say you should not have a problem having access to restaurants and other social-like places. Plus, it is not far from Addison!

Happy hunting!
Thanks for your suggestions !
I am looking for a "live" area where I can find everything (shops, restaurants, kids facilities ...) and not too expensive ... I'm sure I'll find something

Old 09-15-2011, 06:31 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
I don't really know !! We have a budget of 1000$ / month ... is it enough to rent something nice (preferably 3 bedrooms)
No, it's not enough. You are going to be hard-pressed to find a 2-BR apartment in a safe neighborhood in either the city or suburbs like Plano that are commutable to Addison for $1,000- much less a 3br or a home!!

Old 09-15-2011, 06:54 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,423 times
Quote:
If you can stretch it a $125 more, I don't think you could do much better than this. Google maps puts it 7 minutes form Addison, it is a nice family friendly area, close to parks, close to shopping, Richardson Schools, Convienant to the Library, Rec centers, City swimming pool in summer, etc. I'd go by and check it out.

1229 Dalhart Dr Richardson TX - Home for Rent - MLS #11657930 - Realtor.com®

Old 09-15-2011, 08:29 AM

I've made some research and all I find is above 1000$/month. What would be the budget then for a 2/3 bedrooms apt ?
Thank you all for your feedbacks

Old 09-15-2011, 08:57 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
I've made some research and all I find is above 1000$/month. What would be the budget then for a 2/3 bedrooms apt ?
Thank you all for your feedbacks
$1,500/mo would give you a lot more options. There's a well maintained AMLI apartment complex on Frankford & Coit. I know 2-br's are over $1,000/mo now but call to ask. It's either Richardson or Plano schools (both hooks choices), safe, close to lots of shopping (grocery stores, big box stores like Home Goods, Ross, Target, restaurants), parks, and freeways. About 15 min to Addison.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:58 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
If you can stretch it a $125 more, I don't think you could do much better than this. Google maps puts it 7 minutes form Addison, it is a nice family friendly area, close to parks, close to shopping, Richardson Schools, Convienant to the Library, Rec centers, City swimming pool in summer, etc. I'd go by and check it out.

1229 Dalhart Dr Richardson TX - Home for Rent - MLS #11657930 - Realtor.com®
17 minutes from Addison not 7. Sorry.

As always, I also recommend driving areas you would like to look in. Lots of times finding a house/duplex being rented by an independent landlord, who bought the house when housing prices were lower 30 years ago, will save you a lot of money, but these guys usually don't advertise, they just stick a sign in the yard. I have always rented this way and been shocked how much less I pay for more space in better areas than friends who have rented from complexes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas