Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 03:22 PM

4 posts, read 5,077 times

Advertisements

We have been living in a small town about an hour northeast of Lake Ray Hubbard. My husband took a job in Arlington so we will need to move to the metroplex. I need a advice on good communities to move to. I have small children so schools will be important. We have 3 large breed dogs & some other house pets as well so yard size & pet laws are also important. I'm sure there are other things I should think of, but I'm not sure where to begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 03:37 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
Southwest Arlingon has good schools. Make sure the high school that serves your residence is Martin High because all the elementary and middle schools that feed into Martin HS are great schools. Be very sure, because there are other parts of Arlington that are not nearly as good.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:49 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
most people wont rent to someone with 3 dogs and other pets from what I have read--especially if any of your dogs are on the "bad dog" list -- like pit bulls...

depending on where your husband is working in Arlington it is perfectly possible to commute from surrounding towns like Bedford, Hurst, Grand Prairie--

look at a map--
you don't mention budget
every one who comes to DFW is saying how expensive the rental amounts are for a 3/2 house--

check reatlor.com and see what rents are going for
plus the market is tight and not that much to choose from
school starts in August and people are wanting to get someplace settled before it starts
most people who were changing rentals did so in May if they could

good luck

Old 07-24-2013, 07:47 PM

257 posts, read 550,202 times
I have many friends who live in the Mansfield area, just south of Arlington. Good schools, quick drive to Arlington, and some of the homes have large lots that would be great for large dogs to run.

Overall, most areas of the metroplex will allow you to have three large breed dogs if you have a fenced yard that can contain them. However, landlords can be picky, so if it's at all possible for you to buy, you could put all the money you'd spend in pet deposits toward a down payment that would actually be a good investment right now.

Another option, a little further from Arlington, but with good schools and large lots, is Midlothian.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:59 PM

Compare tax rates between communities if you choose to buy. Mansfield is much higher than Arlington.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:38 PM

We aren't looking to rent. We will be selling our current home and purchasing a new one. I have 2 labs and an Australian shepherd.

My husband has been making a 45 mile commute to work for years and just wants to keep his commute under an hour.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:03 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,091 times
Married family with SAHM and two good kids and dad works his butt off. Good luck!

Old 07-26-2013, 10:09 PM

??? Is it impossible to live in the city on one income? We've lived on one income for several years and his new job will be doubling his current income without changing his hours.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:52 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Yes. Many people do this. Just don't buy a huge house that takes up most of your income, and live frugally.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earth mama View Post
??? Is it impossible to live in the city on one income? We've lived on one income for several years and his new job will be doubling his current income without changing his hours.
Certainly you can live a great life on a single income! If you husband is working on the North side of Arlington, I encourage you to look in Grapevine or any burb using Grapevine schools. If in south or central Arlington, look in SW Arlington or Mansfield.

In North Texas, the school district boundry lines don't always follow the towns. Example, my city is served by 3 school districts. So you need to be especially watchful about the schools that serve any house. don't take realtors' listings for granted. Check yourself, you can find district zoning on the web or call the schools.

In Tarrant County Southlake, Colleyville and Grapevine are the clear winners overall in community services, schools, and real estate resale value for when you sell.

I stand a bit alone as a huge fan of Arlington. You will find people posting silly negative remarks regarding road condition (not in SW Arlington), lack of public Transportation (true!), bad schools (some pretty awful, some great). I have owned 3 properties in Arlington and 2 in Mansfield. Prefer Arlington for schools and proximity to so many activities and city services. It is a pretty large city, and as such, has gritty areas too.

Southwest Arlington (cannot stress too strongly any house you consider MUST be served by Martin HS). That area is a wonderful value for home quality, school quality and accessibility to shopping and easy jog into Fort Worth for cultural events.

Mansfield grew from 7,000 to about 25,000 in the early 90's and had a slew of foreclosures during the downturn. Most of its housing inventory is on the newish side. It is not as conveniently located. Its schools are riding on the good reputation it had in the late 90's and don't, IMO, meet the high caliper of schools in SW Arlington. The houses seem a good value as far as prices, but both taxes and insurance rates run steeper....

If you can afford it, you will find a house about $50K more expensive in Grapevine will get you the same house payment as in Mansfield and Grapevine is a much, much better place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas