Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:00 AM

415 posts, read 1,718,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SepiaZelda View Post
Dallas obviously doesn't have the outdoor activities of Colorado or any other mountainous or even hilly city. Why would you live here if that is your main criteria for happiness, though? Not you specifically, just in general.

Yeah, I miss hiking every day. It remains my all time favorite thing to do in life. However, I am far happier in Dallas than I was in L.A. because I have a kick ass job that is a life more than a job, a gorgeous home and mostly free parking wherever I go.

In the end, it just boils down to what you know is important to you and what makes you happy. If your life is surfing would you move to Kansas?
Yeah, I will never get that. There are two main mountainous areas in the lower 48 and Dallas ain't one of them. (and even US-educated people should know that ) Texas HAS a coastline, but it's a gulf, not an ocean, and Dallas still isn't near it, either way.

If I were only happy doing one thing, I'd make damn sure I moved where that was available...

It's one thing to say it's hot or there's no surfing or mountain climbing, but to move here and then complain you can't do those things? Did you expect the ground to open up because you relocated?

You know, I think I'll move to San Francisco and then ask how to get everywhere without going up a hill....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 01:39 PM

122 posts, read 507,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeLaura View Post
It's one thing to say it's hot or there's no surfing or mountain climbing, but to move here and then complain you can't do those things? Did you expect the ground to open up because you relocated?
A lot of people move here based on the allure of a big house and cheap prices without fully understanding what Dallas is really like. I am not saying people move here expecting to have mountains or coastline, but if you like the outdoors, you do expect some quality parks. Texas ranks 49th out of 50 states on funding parks and given the size of Texas that is pathetic.

Yes summer is supposed to be hot, but in Dallas summer is hell and most folks remain cooped in their air conditioned homes. Fall and Spring are virtually non-existent so if you enjoy Fall with the changing of the colors, forget that. Basically, Dallas is what it is, a big sprawling metroplex with lots of shopping and relatively cheap housing.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:53 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,069,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gokctx View Post
but if you like the outdoors, you do expect some quality parks. Texas ranks 49th out of 50 states on funding parks and given the size of Texas that is pathetic.
The state of Texas does not fund city parks in the Dallas-Ft Worth area. State governments normally do not fund city parks, cities do. You're full of it. And the area does have some excellent municipal parks. White Rock Lake park is great, Fair Park is very good, Turtle Creek Park is very good, the Katy Trail is very good, the Fort Worth parks are great, etc.

The three state parks in the Dallas area are much better in maintenance and facilities than state parks in other states, and the many local parks on the lakes are pretty good. Your gripes have no basis in reality.

Quote:
Yes summer is supposed to be hot, but in Dallas summer is hell and most folks remain cooped in their air conditioned homes. Fall and Spring are virtually non-existent so if you enjoy Fall with the changing of the colors, forget that.
Yes, it is hot in the summer, and on the weekends people are outdoors on the area lakes and water parks, they play golf, they are all over the outdoor cafes in the evenings. Nonexistent spring and fall? I don't think so. Dallas has 8 months of very good weather, which is one reason the population has swelled. Bye bye northern winter weather! America has masses of people abandoning cold winters for lands with hot summers and mild winters. Hot summers are not that much of an issue to them.

The evidence for the quality of life in Dallas, in the way that most people evaluate it, is its rapid expansion in population. People want to move here, and when they stay here a while, they don't want to leave. Thus, Dallas has become the 4th largest metro in the USA, due to the quality of life that it offers. The general public has decided that Dallas is very desirable. And there are plenty of undesirable places in the USA with cheap housing and little or no growth.

Last edited by aceplace; 08-29-2007 at 02:18 PM..

Old 08-29-2007, 02:02 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
I can assure you there will be throngs outside this weekend. High school football begins!

Old 08-29-2007, 03:04 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,597,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I can assure you there will be throngs outside this weekend. High school football begins!
Whew... for a second I thought you said thongs... almost had to burn my inner eye.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:00 AM

415 posts, read 1,718,681 times
Quote:
A lot of people move here based on the allure of a big house and cheap prices without fully understanding what Dallas is really like. I am not saying people move here expecting to have mountains or coastline, but if you like the outdoors, you do expect some quality parks. Texas ranks 49th out of 50 states on funding parks and given the size of Texas that is pathetic.

Yes summer is supposed to be hot, but in Dallas summer is hell and most folks remain cooped in their air conditioned homes. Fall and Spring are virtually non-existent so if you enjoy Fall with the changing of the colors, forget that. Basically, Dallas is what it is, a big sprawling metroplex with lots of shopping and relatively cheap housing.
You base that on fact, or even non-scientific polls, or just your opinion of why people move here? Houses are cheaper in Oklahoma and Arkansas (a LOT cheaper). If people were only moving for real estate deals, they'd go there, instead of here.

And is funding your only basis for the quality of the parks? Have you been to any of the parks? What would you like to see in a park that you're not finding either in or around DFW?

So you think we have Winter and Summer? Spring and fall are excellent times of the year here. There are 5 solid months of good outdoor weather (April, May, June, September, October) and many more times during the year when it can be very nice outside. Or even just tolerable. That's over half the year you can be outdoors. I believe Hawaii is the only place you'll be happy if you need more than that.

As for the fall colors myth. That lasts all of a week. So take a vacation up north for that week if it's that important to you. Seriously, that's all I heard when I moved to Wisconsin, but I missed taking photos because I was busy the one weekend the trees turned (and at work during the week).

If the 2% of the time the trees are pretty outweighs the 50+% you can be outside, then move by all means.

Yes, Dallas has problems and isn't Utopia, but where is? I like it here and can find things to do besides shop (although I do like to shop, too). If you're sitting holed up in your air conditioning, expecting someone to come invite you to everything you do, you're going to hate it. If you get out and explore your world a little, you might find there are things to enjoy.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:50 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,597,112 times
Quote:
Yes summer is supposed to be hot, but in Dallas summer is hell and most folks remain cooped in their air conditioned homes.
Sure wish someone would have told me this when I was training for the Hotter than Hell. And to imagine, I was out riding 4 days per week - putting in 8-12 hours per week of riding OUTSIDE of all places during the summer heat. On my long Saturday rides, I didn't make it home until roughly 1PM. On the weekdays, I was riding after work in the ranges of 4-7pm. So I was certainly out on my bike during the heat of the day in the middle of summer (June, July and August). Whew! Glad I lived to tell people about it.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:55 AM

454 posts, read 1,339,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeLaura View Post
Yeah, I will never get that. There are two main mountainous areas in the lower 48 and Dallas ain't one of them. (and even US-educated people should know that ) Texas HAS a coastline, but it's a gulf, not an ocean, and Dallas still isn't near it, either way.

If I were only happy doing one thing, I'd make damn sure I moved where that was available...

You know, I think I'll move to San Francisco and then ask how to get everywhere without going up a hill....
HA! I think you should also consider moving to New Mexico but try as hard s you can never to drive down a dirt road.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:30 AM

122 posts, read 507,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
The state of Texas does not fund city parks in the Dallas-Ft Worth area. State governments normally do not fund city parks, cities do. You're full of it. And the area does have some excellent municipal parks. White Rock Lake park is great, Fair Park is very good, Turtle Creek Park is very good, the Katy Trail is very good, the Fort Worth parks are great, etc.

The three state parks in the Dallas area are much better in maintenance and facilities than state parks in other states, and the many local parks on the lakes are pretty good. Your gripes have no basis in reality.

Yes, it is hot in the summer, and on the weekends people are outdoors on the area lakes and water parks, they play golf, they are all over the outdoor cafes in the evenings. Nonexistent spring and fall? I don't think so. Dallas has 8 months of very good weather, which is one reason the population has swelled. Bye bye northern winter weather! America has masses of people abandoning cold winters for lands with hot summers and mild winters. Hot summers are not that much of an issue to them.

The evidence for the quality of life in Dallas, in the way that most people evaluate it, is its rapid expansion in population. People want to move here, and when they stay here a while, they don't want to leave. Thus, Dallas has become the 4th largest metro in the USA, due to the quality of life that it offers. The general public has decided that Dallas is very desirable. And there are plenty of undesirable places in the USA with cheap housing and little or no growth.
First of all I was talking about state parks in Texas, and I am not full of it. You can verify my claim from the following web-site The Austin Chronicle: News: Will Lege Rescue Starving State Parks?. According to that report, Texas ranks 2nd to last.

Many a Dallas summer has 30-50 days over 100 degrees, which I qualify as hot. Sure there are some cold blooded folks who don't mind the heat, but if you are averse to it Dallas is like hell. Also, folks moving here don't realize the air quality is terrible with ozone alert days, allergens, and pollution. IF you are immune to such things more power to you. If not, Dallas is not a nice place to be. When my relatives come to visit, within a few days all of the allergens, pollution, and ozone really take their toll.

And yes, Spring and fall are non-existent. If you have ever lived in another part of the country you will know what I am talking about. Dallas population growth is primarily due to jobs, cheap housing, and availability of land. Other than that, it is a pretty unattractive place to live based on my definition of a good quality of life which apparently is different than yours.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:42 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,069,093 times
Quote:
Other than that, it is a pretty unattractive place to live based on my definition of a good quality of life which apparently is different than yours.
Your definition is also very different from the consensus of the public, based on the enormous growth in population of the DFW area. Since your attitude is so contrary to the conventional wisdom, what difference do you make?

Quote:
First of all I was talking about state parks in Texas, and I am not full of it. You can verify my claim from the following web-site The Austin Chronicle
Are you one of those fools who believe that if a newspaper prints it, it must be true? You were clumsy enough to try to make a point about DFW city parks by bring up an (immaterial) state park statistic of dubious validity. That proves you to be a rambling curmudgeon with no sense of a rational argument.

The local state parks in the DFW area are clean, well-maintained, appear to be well staffed, all have showers (as opposed to California parks), have plenty of vendor-supplied amenities, have good beaches, have good scenery, have 30-50 volt power for trailers, have plenty of primitive camping, etc., etc. Tomorrow, I'm going back to Palo Duro State Park, with its tons of things to see and do, with some incredible scenery, hiking trails, interpretive centers. Then, I'm going down to Caprock Canyon SP, more of the same. You are indeed full of it.

Quote:
Many a Dallas summer has 30-50 days over 100 degrees
Not that many do. That's an extreme. So far this year, there have been one or two days reaching that number. The average high is 95. BTW, the American public is migrating on mass to places that have hot summers, like much of Southern Cal, Arizona, Texas, Georgia, Florida.

Quote:
And yes, Spring and fall are non-existent
No, Dallas is a 4 season climate, with a pronounced fall season and a noticable spring season.

Last edited by aceplace; 08-30-2007 at 11:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas