Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 04:19 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,396,382 times

Advertisements

We're forgetting the original budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 11:51 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,751,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
The profit margin on these places in UNBELIEVABLE!
LOL.

Why don't you open one and make some money since you know so much about it?

We pay 210 a week for in-home daycare run by a SAHM who does it out of her house. She gets inspected by the state several times a year and has a lot of costs. She has a total of 12 kids and has one FT and one PT help. She has to pay insurance, supply meals, and pay for the state mandated upgrades, etc. Of course, her home provides the space. My best guess is that she clears 500 a week for her labor.

The site daycare charges 210-250 a week and also have to carry the overhead running the building, taxes, and utilities plus a director, assist director, and cost of working capital. I would guess they clear 20 per child per week for ROI for the owners. With 2 million invested and clearing 100K per year, that is around a 5% true profit for the owners. Not much of a profit.

And with no barrier to entry and a limited supply of kids, the market is probably almost perfectly competitive.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:19 AM

6,827 posts, read 14,047,739 times
I always wondered what is the average liability cost of insurance is for a daycare. I have noticed that the price difference in care is huge depending on what part of town you live in. Years ago my cousin who lives in Frisco played twice as much for daycare than I did living in Mesquite. Our local daycare center owner runs a daycare in Mesquite and one in Rockwall. I'm betting his Rockwall location is more expensive than the Mesquite one.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:43 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,436,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
LOL.

Why don't you open one and make some money since you know so much about it?

We pay 210 a week for in-home daycare run by a SAHM who does it out of her house. She gets inspected by the state several times a year and has a lot of costs. She has a total of 12 kids and has one FT and one PT help. She has to pay insurance, supply meals, and pay for the state mandated upgrades, etc. Of course, her home provides the space. My best guess is that she clears 500 a week for her labor.

The site daycare charges 210-250 a week and also have to carry the overhead running the building, taxes, and utilities plus a director, assist director, and cost of working capital. I would guess they clear 20 per child per week for ROI for the owners. With 2 million invested and clearing 100K per year, that is around a 5% true profit for the owners. Not much of a profit.

And with no barrier to entry and a limited supply of kids, the market is probably almost perfectly competitive.
In home daycare is a totally different animal. The standards and requirements by the state are different. She is also apparently doing it right, employing more staff than state requirements would mandate. The big companies keep it RIGHT at the edge of the regs. The market is less competitive than you might think. You would be surprised how many differently named chains are owned by the same company. Children's Choice, Kinder Care, Children's World, and at least 2 others for example are all owned by one company Knowledge Learning Corporation. The average for a daycare is WAY WAY WAY above 210-250 a week. Last year the Dallas average for a 2 year old was around 475. 12 per teacher state ratio, but they enroll more than that, because some come early and leave early, some come late and stay late. Some come only 3 days a week (but no brake on cost most places for that) so they usually figure they can enroll 15. If too many show up, they take some of the youngest into the director;s office to keep class ratios correct. this is common practice in the industry in Texas - where it is allowed. Knowledge Learning Corporation- the biggest provider - has posted amazing profits, and Texas is their single largest profit center, because it does not require any certifications for teachers, has very minimal ratio requirements, minimal state standards, and a lot of "flexibility" in the definition of a classroom. Unfortunately parents often believe what they are told/shown on a tour which involves some creative "redefinitions", of terms like classroom, curriculum, etc. Pre-school teachers in Texas are generally seen as (and usually are) low skilled, low educated replaceable workers. There are some who out of love for small children make a point of educating themselves, and training themselves, and staying in these centers with more at need children despite the low pay. My wife has been one, until she finally burned out after a decade, and is moving to a higher end, better, and better paying pre-school.

All this is just to say that this has become an industry that is mostly filled with bad actors, do your research before placing a child. Do research just as well as you would before choosing a private school. There are great pre-schools out there, and they often don't cost any more than the bad ones.

Now I feel I we have probably veered this far enough off topic

Not saying all childcar

Old 11-28-2011, 11:08 PM

291 posts, read 675,049 times
If you mean Canarsie in Brooklyn, that would not have been the projects. Maybe to some, but as someone who had to take the train in Canarsie every day for 4 years to get to high school, I can tell you that Canarsie was very working middle-class back in the day and not a poor area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
A true genius doesn't let humble beginnings hold him/her back. He breaks through & breaks out. Want to research the beginnings of some very famous/wealthy Americans who should never have amounted to anything, using the flawed logic in your post?

Howard Schultz- Starbucks CEO- grew up in Cansarie projects in Brooklyn

Jon Paul DeGoria- Paul Mitchell Haircare founder & multip-billionaire- threw newspapers to support his poor family and spent most of his life in a LA gang

Oprah- beat sexual abuse, poverty, etc and built her empire brick by brick

Larry Ellison- Oracle CEO & founder- born to a single teenage girl in NYC, raised by extended family

Steve Jobs- born to a single mother, adopted by a working class family, dropped out of college b/c he couldnt afford to continue

JK Rowling- British single mother who almost killed herself before stumbling onto Harry Potter fame

Tyler Perry, Herman Cain, & the immigrant founders of Forever 21 also came up from NOTHING, as did Mark Cuban and even my friend's father who was born to a housepainter, barely finished college, and is now worth half a billion. There are many other successful business owners and those in the medical/ science/ entertainment fields whose names we'll never know (because they're successful/middle class and not Oprah successful) who were the "ghetto" kids you dismiss.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:49 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,318,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGGirl View Post
If you mean Canarsie in Brooklyn, that would not have been the projects. Maybe to some, but as someone who had to take the train in Canarsie every day for 4 years to get to high school, I can tell you that Canarsie was very working middle-class back in the day and not a poor area.
Yes, Cansarie in Brooklyn and Yes, in the projects there. The NYCHU project there was called Bayview. It wasn't the cess-pool many of the BK projects today, but in Schultz's own words, the family was POOR, not middle class:

"I was three when my family moved out of my grandmother's apartment into the Bayview Projects in 1956.... Still, no one was proud of living in the Projects; our parents were all what we now call "the working poor."..... I felt angry and ashamed when I realized that the sleepaway camp I attended in the summer was a subsidized program for underprivileged kids. After that, I refused to go back."

"By the time I got to high school, I understood the stigma of living in the Projects. Canarsie High School was less than a mile away, but to get there I had to walk down streets lined with small single-family homes and duplexes. The people who lived there, I knew, looked down on us."

Subsidized summer camp and subsidized housing isn't "working middle class"; it's poor. Even in 1956. "Projects" isn't synonymous with crime; it's synonymous with "doesn't make enough money to pay market rate- or in NYC, rent stabilized/controlled rent."

Old 11-29-2011, 09:01 AM

718 posts, read 1,390,703 times
Quote:
No, souleido was saying- as she/he has asserted on multiple threads on city-data- that poor people are undesirable. Undesirable neighbors, classmates, and students. Yuck. Riff-raff. That's exactly what souleido meant, regardless of the pc-spin you want to put on it.

Isn't that the American dream? Start with very little (and throw in the requisiste broken home/single mother) and end up well educated and with a great career?!
I think you are reading a bit too much in my posts and I still think that you do not understand me. I did rush in my post and really should have explain myself .
Again , I think that we do not understand each other because we do not value what makes a good school the same way . Scores do not say everything . It's true , I did complain about my school in PISD going down since it became title one , but for good reasons , one of them was that the school was not teaching curriculum anymore but rather the test to keep their rating as recognized, I'm sorry but that was a problem for me . This is why scores are not always the entire story when it comes to pick a school.
I also totally realize that I may not be the majority in the DFW area but when I look into a school I look at different aspects , for me the racial % is very important , I want my kids in a very diversify school where they are among a large numbers of foreigners with different religious background . I would also not move in an area that would not be diversified politically .
I do not want either my kids to be in an environment where everybody has to be first and best at everything , they also need to take their time to be kids and take their time to learn to love something rather than be the best at it. I hate the Champion mentality that I see often around here.
And in the same vision , I do not not want my kids to be in a school that would not be diversify socially . We were some of the richest in the previous school , and I do not want my kids to have a sense of entitlement that comes with that type of environment . Call me un PC if you want for wanting diversity , but I would not put my kids in neither a very rich or a very poor school if I still have a choice since I realize it is a luxe that I have .
I grew up with parents that went from top to bottom and back socially , I did lived every kind of situation , but I also lived in a very rough and divided
racially environment in Europe , and I learned my lessons on the subject very early.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:56 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,318,799 times
[quote=Souleiado;21901870]....for me the racial % is very important , I want my kids in a very diversify school where they are among a large numbers of foreigners with different religious background . I would also not move in an area that would not be diversified politically .
I do not want either my kids to be in an environment where everybody has to be first and best at everything , they also need to take their time to be kids and take their time to learn to love something rather than be the best at it. quote]

I guess I fail to see how the Frisco schools (80%+ white) you chose are any more diverse than a WT White (80%+ Hispanic). Within the WT White Hispanic community, about 50% are from Mexico and the rest are from a wide array of Latin American countries, particularly a large contingent from El Salvador, as well a few % each from Hondorus and Columbia. "Hispanic" does not automatically equal "Mexican" - there are tons of rich cultures (foods, customs, holidays, etc) in the WT White population.

In additon, the poverty-level kids are exposed to about 20-25% of the school that are middle or upper-middle class, living in $250k up to $1M range homes.

There are also Koreans, Vietnamese, blacks, and other races/cultures present in the neighborhood and the school. There are recent immigrants as well as long-time, established Dallasites.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:44 PM

718 posts, read 1,390,703 times
It's jut a statistic for all of Frisco but It's not true at all for all the southern part of the town TC! I'm in Plano with FISD , my elementary like most in the area is a white minority , and when we say white it means that it includes a large population of Libanese, Israelian,European etc... Americans do not represent and from far 50% of the school population, neither Christianity is the large majority.Same thing for the middle school and the high school where it stands around 50% but where the non white population is moving in at a very fast pace for the last two years .
The social level is also very diversified as well as housing .
As I said in another thread , the North part of Plano, south of Frisco, west of Allen , south west in McKinney and some small pockets in Carrolton and north west of Richardson are becoming fast a multicultural society not seen yet in the area, totally different from other areas where usually one or two groups are the majority.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:01 PM

291 posts, read 675,049 times
Actually, in NYC, rent-control has nothing to do with a person's income. Section 8 would be considered subsidized housing but that is different from rent control. Regarding subsidized summer camp, at least in the 70s, that was based on income but you could be working class and not poor and still qualify. I know this because I went to subsidized summer camp as a kid in Brooklyn. I obviously can't speak to what it was like in the 50s. It's sad that Mr. Schultz felt "angry and ashamed".

I myself went to public high school in Manhattan and there kids from all kinds of backgrounds and no one looked down on anyone else. This was in the late 80's. I believe the percentage of kids that went on to college was close to 100 percent. Parents have a huge influence and not just the school faculty.

Quote:
Yes, Cansarie in Brooklyn and Yes, in the projects there. The NYCHU project there was called Bayview. It wasn't the cess-pool many of the BK projects today, but in Schultz's own words, the family was POOR, not middle class:

"I was three when my family moved out of my grandmother's apartment into the Bayview Projects in 1956.... Still, no one was proud of living in the Projects; our parents were all what we now call "the working poor."..... I felt angry and ashamed when I realized that the sleepaway camp I attended in the summer was a subsidized program for underprivileged kids. After that, I refused to go back."

"By the time I got to high school, I understood the stigma of living in the Projects. Canarsie High School was less than a mile away, but to get there I had to walk down streets lined with small single-family homes and duplexes. The people who lived there, I knew, looked down on us."

Subsidized summer camp and subsidized housing isn't "working middle class"; it's poor. Even in 1956. "Projects" isn't synonymous with crime; it's synonymous with "doesn't make enough money to pay market rate- or in NYC, rent stabilized/controlled rent."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas