Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 04:41 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Plano off and on for 22 years and summer 2011 was the first one during which I couldn't bear to do stuff outside because of the heat.

Otherwise, the summers are usually just fine.

In fact, it's gotten dry recently, so even the humidity isn't bad anymore.

Went to NYC in July and nearly fell over with the humidity!

Old 12-19-2011, 07:55 PM

4 posts, read 10,647 times
Plano frequently tops lists of the safest cities. Few random incidents happen ever year but mostly it's VERY safe.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:36 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,475,771 times
Watch out for those fire ants!

Old 12-21-2011, 01:46 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,665,685 times
My rule of thumb is if you live within a 100 miles of a ghetto, your part of it

Old 12-21-2011, 02:26 PM

662 posts, read 1,451,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
My rule of thumb is if you live within a 100 miles of a ghetto, your part of it
Yes, so Plano is a ghetto!

Old 12-21-2011, 02:45 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Frank Parnell View Post
Plano is far from being a crime-ridden hellhole but it's also not the lily-white bedroom community that many people believe it to be. The far west side of the city skews the statistics for the entire city's home values, household income, and race/ethnicity. The middle 1/3 of Plano is solidly middle class with a population that is largely Anglo and Asian. The far east side of Plano (i.e. everything east of I-75) has a large Spanish-speaking population with household incomes and home values that are significantly lower than the mean and median of Plano and surrounding cities.

Plano is a large city with areas that are unbelievably wealthy and others that are truly poverty-stricken. Overall, Plano is a regular city with regular big-city problems.

Here's a small sample of crime news in Plano during 2011 only (cut-and-paste the links into your browser to read the stories):

Rise in Violent Crime Concerns Plano Police
Rise in Violent Crime Concerns Plano Police | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

One Dead, One Wounded in East Plano Shooting Wednesday Night
One dead, one wounded in east Plano shooting Wednesday night | Crime Blog | dallasnews.com

Woman Killed, Man Shot Near Downtown Plano
Woman killed, man shot near downtown Plano | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

Police Issue Warning After East Plano Homes Struck by Bullets
http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/20111129-police-issue-warning-after- (broken link)
east-plano-homes-struck-by-bullets.ece

Gunfire Hits Homes in East Plano
Star Local News > News Update > Gunfire hits homes in east Plano

Plano Police Arrest Suspect in Changing Room Video Recordings
Plano police arrest suspect in changing room video recordings | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

Plano Fire Station Hit by Gunfire
Plano Fire Station Hit by Gunfire | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Plano Rapist Targets Sorority Members

Plano rapist targets sorority members | KXAN.com

The Texas Sorority Rapist's Bizarre Obsession
Texas Serial Rapist's Bizarre Obsession - ABC News

Plano Man Arrested in Wife's Shooting Death
Plano man arrested in wife's shooting death | Dallas-Fort Worth Communities - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Plano Police Apprehend Robbery Suspects
http://www.planostar.com/articles/2011/08/05/plano_star-courier/news/8903.tx (broken link)

Two Jailed for Holding Plano Family Hostage After Robbery
2 Jailed For Holding Plano Family Hostage After Robbery « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

Plano High School Teacher Arrested on Sexual Assault Charges
Plano H.S. Teacher Arrested On Sexual Assault Charge « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth
I get your point, but I hope you know that you've posted multiple links regarding single stories? And - I've been traveling - is the sorority rapist turd from Plano? I hadn't herd that.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:16 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,748,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Frank Parnell View Post
Plano is far from being a crime-ridden hellhole but it's also not the lily-white bedroom community that many people believe it to be. The far west side of the city skews the statistics for the entire city's home values, household income, and race/ethnicity. The middle 1/3 of Plano is solidly middle class with a population that is largely Anglo and Asian. The far east side of Plano (i.e. everything east of I-75) has a large Spanish-speaking population with household incomes and home values that are significantly lower than the mean and median of Plano and surrounding cities.

Plano is a large city with areas that are unbelievably wealthy and others that are truly poverty-stricken. Overall, Plano is a regular city with regular big-city problems.

Here's a small sample of crime news in Plano during 2011 only (cut-and-paste the links into your browser to read the stories):

Rise in Violent Crime Concerns Plano Police
Rise in Violent Crime Concerns Plano Police | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

One Dead, One Wounded in East Plano Shooting Wednesday Night
One dead, one wounded in east Plano shooting Wednesday night | Crime Blog | dallasnews.com

Woman Killed, Man Shot Near Downtown Plano
Woman killed, man shot near downtown Plano | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

Police Issue Warning After East Plano Homes Struck by Bullets
Police issue warning after east Plano homes struck by bullets | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Gunfire Hits Homes in East Plano
Star Local News > News Update > Gunfire hits homes in east Plano

Plano Police Arrest Suspect in Changing Room Video Recordings
Plano police arrest suspect in changing room video recordings | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

Plano Fire Station Hit by Gunfire
Plano Fire Station Hit by Gunfire | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Plano Rapist Targets Sorority Members
Plano rapist targets sorority members | KXAN.com

The Texas Sorority Rapist's Bizarre Obsession
Texas Serial Rapist's Bizarre Obsession - ABC News

Plano Man Arrested in Wife's Shooting Death
Plano man arrested in wife's shooting death | Dallas-Fort Worth Communities - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Plano Police Apprehend Robbery Suspects
Star Local News > Plano Star-courier > News > Plano police apprehend robbery suspects

Two Jailed for Holding Plano Family Hostage After Robbery
2 Jailed For Holding Plano Family Hostage After Robbery « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

Plano High School Teacher Arrested on Sexual Assault Charges
Plano H.S. Teacher Arrested On Sexual Assault Charge « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth
First of all, the furthest east portion of Plano is referred to by many as Deep East or the Los Rios area. Not Far East Plano. The furthest east portion is not predominately spanish speaking.

The median home value of the neighborhood that had the gunfire is probably close to $250K. Not exactly my idea of poverty stricken.

The Plano fire station hit by gun fire sits on the very edge of Plano near the Oak Point park nature preserve and next to Parker. Also an area most would describe as solidly middle class.

The sorority rapist's victims were not in Plano and they do not even have a suspect in mind.

However, the person that put the camera in the changing room at Oak Point Rec Center was caught. He's from Garland. So is it Garland or is it Plano that is unsafe.

Plano is larger than many other states' 10 largest cities, so it actually says a lot that you don't have more links to post.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:18 AM

662 posts, read 1,451,103 times
I can't believe this thread won't die. To say Plano is unsafe is hilarious. I have lived many places, and although Plano has its faults being unsafe isn't one of them. OK. Now I'm guilty of keeping this thread alive. But seriously anyone thinking of moving to Plano and reading this thread will get the completely wrong idea, and that's crazy.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:30 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,475,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
I can't believe this thread won't die. To say Plano is unsafe is hilarious. I have lived many places, and although Plano has its faults being unsafe isn't one of them. OK. Now I'm guilty of keeping this thread alive. But seriously anyone thinking of moving to Plano and reading this thread will get the completely wrong idea, and that's crazy.
Besides dodging bullets I find that all the rattlesnakes everywhere are downright scary.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:02 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,461,271 times
I saw a coyote a few nights ago. I've seen more bobcats before. Definitely not safe for the local rabbits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas