Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 01:48 PM

103 posts, read 259,894 times

Advertisements

I'm glad I found this post. I am moving to the Dallas area and looking for a hip area that young professionals live as well. My fiancé and I are 25 she just accepted a position at the North Texas VA Hospital. I'm looking for jobs (hopefully I can stay with Nike or in the Nike company"Converse, Cole Haan, or Hurley") If I can't find a position with any of them I may work at buckle since I interned with them. How is Irving people have told me to check it out as well. Found some really nice apartments there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 10:33 PM

690 posts, read 1,728,811 times
Hello,

Are you referring to the North Texas VA hospital that is located south of Dallas.

To a majority of people; the neighborhood where this facility is located would not be the most appropriate location to move to. It is the type of place unless you grew up in you would know specifically which is good vs okay or not okay.

Irving commute to this area may not be a pleasurable on either depending on location.
North Irving which includes Las Colinas and Valley Ranch is considered the nicer portion of Irving.
Irving has plenty of apartments and company headquarters. It is also close to all major roads.
You can get to any part of town quickly by living in Irving. It is centrally located.
The rail system in Irving runs East to West and is located on the southern side of Irving, South of 183. If you are going to use the rail for your commute you will have to look up the Dart website
to verify they pass the area you want to live or commute to.

There was an additional person looking to work in the same location several weeks ago.
I believe the answers suggested to look in Cedar Hill, DeSoto and points west but stay below Interstate -20 or look towards Arlington or Grand Prairie.

But since you probably do not want the sleepy suburban lifestyle.
Other locations that a professional person in their twenties might consider is:
1.) Uptown:
plenty of different apartments, close to nightlife, cafes, restaurants and entertainment such as professional sports or the latest concert, etc.
2.) Lofts apartment in the Deep Ellum neighborhood East of downtown Dallas or by Baylor Hospital:
close to lower greenville and Deep Ellum has clubs, cafes, eateries with a different vibe
from uptown.
3.) Bishop Arts district: South of Downtown, I personally have not spent enough time in this area
to give a specific opinion but doing some searches on the internet and reading others reviews
This area may be an appropriate to look at as well.

Hope this helps somewhat. Good Luck

Old 03-01-2012, 02:25 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,836 times
Ditto below.

Uptown is hip but pricier. Downtown is closer to the VA by a few miles and a few traffic lights. Same with Deep Ellum. Both Deep Ellum and Downtown are a bit skankier than Uptown. Irving? I don't like it. All those highways 183, 114, 12 they are all a mess. I've never seen an appealing part of Irving but I'm no expert. Seems to me it's all disected up by highways and has no center. I have driven up Irving Blvd from Commerce in downtown anf that's ugly - but at least the traffic is really decongested.

The VA - if RockyJoe and I understand you correctly - is on Lancaster St in South Dallas which is pretty nasty. When I have to go there I prefer to avoid highways and just drive down backroads. Just google map Main St Dallas and choose something that neighborhood or north and you'll have an easy commute plus the best of whatever is actually "hip" about Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyJoe817 View Post
Hello,

Are you referring to the North Texas VA hospital that is located south of Dallas.

To a majority of people; the neighborhood where this facility is located would not be the most appropriate location to move to. It is the type of place unless you grew up in you would know specifically which is good vs okay or not okay.

Irving commute to this area may not be a pleasurable on either depending on location.
North Irving which includes Las Colinas and Valley Ranch is considered the nicer portion of Irving.
Irving has plenty of apartments and company headquarters. It is also close to all major roads.
You can get to any part of town quickly by living in Irving. It is centrally located.
The rail system in Irving runs East to West and is located on the southern side of Irving, South of 183. If you are going to use the rail for your commute you will have to look up the Dart website
to verify they pass the area you want to live or commute to.

There was an additional person looking to work in the same location several weeks ago.
I believe the answers suggested to look in Cedar Hill, DeSoto and points west but stay below Interstate -20 or look towards Arlington or Grand Prairie.

But since you probably do not want the sleepy suburban lifestyle.
Other locations that a professional person in their twenties might consider is:
1.) Uptown:
plenty of different apartments, close to nightlife, cafes, restaurants and entertainment such as professional sports or the latest concert, etc.
2.) Lofts apartment in the Deep Ellum neighborhood East of downtown Dallas or by Baylor Hospital:
close to lower greenville and Deep Ellum has clubs, cafes, eateries with a different vibe
from uptown.
3.) Bishop Arts district: South of Downtown, I personally have not spent enough time in this area
to give a specific opinion but doing some searches on the internet and reading others reviews
This area may be an appropriate to look at as well.

Hope this helps somewhat. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas