Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2008, 09:32 PM

261 posts, read 1,515,603 times

Advertisements

Our son just turned 3 on Sept. 09. We were told that he may lose a year of school because Texas or County state law requires that the student be 4 years of age on Sept 1st of their Kindergarten year.

Does or did anyone else have children who birthday falls Sept 1st ? Did they lose a year? Any other options/alternatives to pursue- private school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 09:47 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
I thought they had to be 5 by Sept 1st to enter K.

My oldest son's B-day is Sept 14th. We have never felt that he lost a year.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:09 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
State of Texas is 5 by Sept 1 for kinder and 6 by Sept 1 for 1st grade. You are not losing a year. Plenty of people hold their kids back who are born in May, June, July and August, so your Sept baby won't be the oldest.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:25 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,924,109 times
Default Re:

From the PISD Web site:

Quote:
Children must be five years old on or before September 1 to be admitted to kindergarten.

In order to attend first grade in Plano ISD, a child must be six years old on or before September 1 or have been previously enrolled in the first grade of a public school in another state or have completed public school kindergarten in another state. Children who are underage but will become six between September 1 and December 31 may enroll in first grade through the district's kindergarten acceleration procedures.

The child should be registered during the regular Kindergarten Roundup at his/her school. Parents must attend a district informational meeting in April and apply for kindergarten acceleration. Assessment sessions are scheduled in June. Students who move into the district in July and early August may be considered for acceleration assessment. The deadline for receiving these students is September 1.

For further information regarding testing of underage students for first grade enrollment, contact Plano ISD's Office of Credit by Exam at 469-752-8703.
What all this means:

1) There is ZERO chance PISD will enroll your kid in kindergarten if he's not 5 years old by Sept. 1 of the kindergarten year. They just don't do that for any reason.

2) You can't get around this by enrolling your kid in private kindergarten, then switching him to PISD in 1st grade. They enforce the age rules strictly for all transfers except for public school out-of-state transfers. He'll just get put into a 2nd year of kindergarten.

3) The only remote chance you have of making this work is to apply for kindergarten acceleration (basically applying to skip kindergarten). You would do this in April of the year you think your son should start 1st grade, but PISD thinks he should start kindergarten. Be warned - the standards they apply for this are ridiculously high - I've heard rumors that they expect kids to pass the 3rd grade TAKS test. I have never known of a kid that has managed to be accelerated.

On a positive note, PISD also has (more reasonable) standards in place to allow kids to skip higher grades. In particular, high-performing kids have been known to skip 3rd or 4th grade, and occasionally 2nd grade.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:16 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,924,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
State of Texas is 5 by Sept 1 for kinder and 6 by Sept 1 for 1st grade. You are not losing a year. Plenty of people hold their kids back who are born in May, June, July and August, so your Sept baby won't be the oldest.
No kidding. In the private schools like St. Marks, this is almost expected. The youngest kids in those classes usually have February or March birthdays. Everyone else is held back. Makes for a bigger football team, I guess.

I have some sympathy for the OP. I'm not a fan of holding kids back unless they're lagging academically. But this isn't a case of being held back. I'm guessing he might be from a state with a Dec. cutoff, so it may just be a matter of re-defining in his head what a grade grouping should be.

Age rules aren't enforced in 2nd grade or beyond, so if the OP wanted to let his kid go though a few years of private school, that could work.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 13,980 times
My son is in first grade in private school. He will be 5 as of 1 st September.I was told two years ago by public school and school district that there is no age limitation for second grade. They told me now that he cannot go to 2 grade at the age 6. Looking for texas law on age requirement for 2 grade?

Last edited by mtapiavala; 01-15-2011 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: He cannot go to 2 grade at the aGE 5.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:04 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
I think they were more flexible when you got the first bit of info because they probably did not have crowded classes--

since then--the budget has crashed, the economy has soured--and schools are trying to max out their class size in elementary schools so that they don't have to hire more teachers

that means they are enforcing the rules for age requirements in elementary grades--so that they have the correct age students in each grade level and are not letting some kids who are younger add to that grade level

they know the law--sometimes they will fudge when they have the facilities to allow it w/o causing problems--but now more elementary schools will be asking for exemptions to the size rule for classes under 4th grade--and they need to make sure the kids in those classes are the right ages

my daughter was 4 when she started full-day kindergarten in Shreveport LA public school before we moved here--she did great in full time kindergarten--no problems with behavior or learning--

when we moved to HEB ISD area in Feb --after she had been in school since August--they refused to take her because 1--the kindergarten program was totally full at the school for our neighborhood and the overflow school...and 2--she was not 5 before Sept 1--she has a November birthdate and LA allowed her to start Kindgergarten when she was 4 going to be 5 before Dec 31 of that year--

we moved in Feb--she had to start a 3 day a wk half-day mother's day out program to finish out that year and next year she still did not go to school full time because HEB kindergarten was only half-day--she was so BORED when she did get to full time first grade--
that was a real setback for her--

Old 03-19-2012, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 11,725 times
my son turned 5 on feb 28th 2012. he really wana start school. so can he start school this year? n which grade he is gonna go to?

Old 03-19-2012, 02:43 PM

262 posts, read 564,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zara0215 View Post
my son turned 5 on feb 28th 2012. he really wana start school. so can he start school this year? n which grade he is gonna go to?
He will be 5 on Sept. 1, 2012 so he will be able to start Kindergarden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas