Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 01:12 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I believe it depends upon the occupation and industry experience, can you guide me some on these to address yoru question. For example, an engineer in baltimore with 15 years experience in defensive might make $100k. The same experienced engineer with oil and gas experience will make double that in Dallas or Houston.
That's not average correct? My best man at my wedding is Partner in a Oil Gas consulting firm in Houston, thriving company, owns a nice house in River Oaks. ..None of the engineers that work for him make anywhere near $200K per year. That's just totally out of the ball park for average engineers in the oil/gas industry to make that much. As this would tend to support.

http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-Petro...uston,-TX.html

Average Petroleum Engineer salaries for job postings in Houston, TX are 3% lower than average Petroleum Engineer salaries for job postings nationwide.

Average Mechanical Engineer salaries for job postings in Houston, TX are 3% lower than average Mechanical Engineer salaries for job postings nationwide.

Last edited by padcrasher; 03-30-2012 at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 01:23 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
That's not average correct? My best man at my wedding is Partner in a Oil Gas consulting firm in Houston, owns a nice house in River Oaks. ..None of the engineers that work for him make anywhere near $200K per year. That's just totally out of the ball park for average engineers in the oil/gas industry to make that much. As this would tend to support.

Petroleum Engineer Salary in Houston, TX | Indeed.com

Average Petroleum Engineer salaries for job postings in Houston, TX are 3% lower than average Petroleum Engineer salaries for job postings nationwide.
I'm a headhunter in oil and gas. This is what top notch E&P companies pay for top talent. There is a huge difference between for a downstream or midstream company and an E&P. Also there is a huge different between what engineers for a service company make as well. Pet engineers avg will reflect the lower midstream and service company in the avg

Old 03-31-2012, 12:19 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,647,352 times
FWIW, in my field the salaries in DFW are generally lower than in other higher Cost-of-Living ("COL") cities, BUT the COL decrease is larger, so you're effectively making more in DFW than many other places. (note the use of the word "generally" there, every situation is unique. My comp increased when I took my job in DFW).

Also, the "no state income tax" is nice, but be aware that there are other places they get you. Toll roads here are generally quite expensive (~15 cents/mile on most roads, will be more on the "managed toll" lanes when they get set up on 114 and 635), and more prevalent than most other cities. Property taxes are higher than in many other areas (2-2.5% of house FMV), sales taxes are not low (~8.5%). Public transportation is more limited, and depending on what your interests are you may find yourself paying more out of pocket for certain services that were supplied "free" (covered by taxes) in other locales. (I'm avoiding the political issue of which model is better, just saying that there's no free lunch - if you want service X you'll pay SOMETHING for it either through the public or private sectors).

Also, some things are non-quantifiable: my current job is a more "relaxed" environment than it would be on, say, the East Coast, which has a value to me. So really, it all depends on the mix of items that are important to you.

But, in GENERAL terms for my field, I find that the "effective" salary given COL is slightly higher than in many other places.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
That's not average correct? My best man at my wedding is Partner in a Oil Gas consulting firm in Houston, thriving company, owns a nice house in River Oaks. ..None of the engineers that work for him make anywhere near $200K per year. That's just totally out of the ball park for average engineers in the oil/gas industry to make that much. As this would tend to support.

Average Mechanical Engineer salaries for job postings in Houston, TX are 3% lower than average Mechanical Engineer salaries for job postings nationwide.
Note, the Indeed salary data can be confusing some. A completions engineer or a reservoir engineer typically has a Petroleum Engineering degree. Note the higher salaries for those two areas of expertise typically held by a PE.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:03 AM

30 posts, read 63,992 times
After living in Texas and now VA I think you come out ahead tax wise in TX even with the higher property tax. Adding our income tax and our property tax together we come out ahead in TX for most houses. And that's the thing, you can buy a cheaper house and pay less tax. Also you can deduct sales tax in Texas because you are not deducting state income tax. And then add in the personal property tax you pay twice a year on each vehicle and it quickly makes VA cost more. Sales tax is less in VA, only 5% but since most goods cost more its a wash.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:

The salaries are highest close to the revenue, which means E&P and Refining companies engineers have the largest impact so they make the most. After them consulting engineers or engineering or service firm engineers come along each time with a lower avg salary due to their lower impact on the business. Non oil and gas engineers in Houston or Dallas make no more than engineers in other industries elsewhere, in fact due to lower cost of living they may make slightly less in Houston. Your friends data is in sinc with my comments. More questions or comments are welcome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas