Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 11:09 PM

5 posts, read 25,925 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to Dallas for work at the end of April. I posted about a week ago asking whether or not it was worthwhile to use an apartment locator service. I contacted 3 different companies, but it's mostly been a waste of time-- one ignored my budget, and the other two have been really pushy about me signing a lease right now, sight unseen, which I am not comfortable with.

Anyway, I'm heading down to Dallas in about a week for a house-hunting trip. A friend who used to live in Dallas suggested the Lakewood neighborhood-- she said she knew people who rented duplexes there that had some character, and it was close to parks/White Rock Lake. I'd be all about a duplex or small apartment building rather than the massive complexes that seem to be the norm in Addison or Plano. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find much of anything online. So I'm wondering if Lakewood is an area where most rentals just get a "For Rent" sign but aren't posted online anywhere?

Also, if anyone else has any other suggestions of areas within Dallas that are close to the intersection of LBJ freeway/Dallas north tollway (where I'll work), that would be awesome. My ideal area would be close to parks/green spaces of some kind. I'm single/no kids, so 1 bedroom is fine, and I'm looking to spend a max of $850 a month.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 07:35 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
Most rentals are just a sign in the yard. You'll probably be looking at streets off Skillman, Matilda and Greenville.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:58 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,559,658 times
Rents have gone up quite a bit, and that budget is tough for Lakewood/Mstreets anyway. We're paying $950/month for a redone duplex that will be renting for $1050 month (2 year lease) or $1150/month (1 year lease) when we move out. This in the M Streets area.

We found the homes near Bryan/Ross etc. were cheaping when we were looking, but the areas didn't feel safe enough to me. When we were driving around looking, we talk to one lady in her yard who told us to stay north of Richmond or Belmont when looking in the MStreets and that turned out to be good advice

Old 04-08-2012, 01:37 PM

937 posts, read 2,907,542 times
I have lived south of Richmond for many years a haven't ever had a problem with crime. But I do agree there probably is a little more than north of Richmond.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:45 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,559,658 times
Quote:
I have lived south of Richmond for many years a haven't ever had a problem with crime. But I do agree there probably is a little more than north of Richmond.
I should note I was basing my opinion on how I would feel being alone some evenings when my husband was away. I don't know...it really seems to depend on the specific block. Some south of Richmond look pretty nice...some look downright scary.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:50 PM

937 posts, read 2,907,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
I should note I was basing my opinion on how I would feel being alone some evenings when my husband was away. I don't know...it really seems to depend on the specific block. Some south of Richmond look pretty nice...some look downright scary.
Yes I agree some do look a little scary. I actually lived on one of the streets I thought were a bit sketchy and it turned out to be very safe with great neighbors for the most part. But I understand what you are saying.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:16 AM

5 posts, read 25,925 times
Does anyone have any thoughts about the area just to the east of White Rock Lake in terms of safety?

I found a 1 bedroom duplex there that looks great and is in my price range. It's a couple of blocks away from Lake Highlands Park.

Thanks!

Old 04-09-2012, 09:21 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
did you Google for one of the crime maps that are online to check that area?
or call the local police

Old 04-09-2012, 09:24 AM

My babysitter lives there off Lake Highlands Dr - they have no issues except for all the sports teams that park along their street to use the fields at the park.

The area between the park and Garland Rd is Lake Park Estates - a nice active neighborhood with great ranch homes.

On Harter is St Johns - you can get a lot of traffic there with school drop off and pick up times.

Just up Buckner and Northcliff is Green Spot where they host the White Rock Local Market.

On Peavy just north of Garland Rd is Good2Go Taco and Goodfriend - where you'll find everyone is the neighborhood has embraced these local businesses - they are packed!!

It's a great area and so close to the lake!

Old 04-09-2012, 09:27 AM

Btw - I heard from my friend's nanny who has been looking in the same areas as you - make a decision FAST! The lost out on many great places that they wanted to think about before signing the lease. When they went back to make contact, they found out that a day to look around more made a huge difference!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: