Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 10:33 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,620,170 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a 28 year old white female professional thinking of moving to Dallas for my job. I was raised in Boston and now live in Atlanta.

I know this is pretty vague, but what can I expect from life in Dallas? I have pretty liberal leanings and, frankly, am hesitant of moving to Texas. I can barely stand living in a red state like Georgia anymore.

Are the schools good? What are the demographics like? What are the good areas of Dallas to live in? Any insight is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 11:03 PM

5,545 posts, read 2,037,685 times
Hello, and let me be the first to give you a warm welcome to Dallas (when you do move)!

People in the northeast tend to have very stereotypical, flawed views of people in Texas, because they lack knowledge about Texas in general (I currently split my time between Dallas and NYC, and I am a native Texan). There's no need to be hesitant in moving to Texas, as there are plenty of liberals.

First things first, do you have a job lined up already, or are you just wanting to possibly move to Dallas and then find a job afterwards? My advice would be to get a job first before moving to Dallas, then find a place to live that's close to where you work, as Dallas is notorious for horrible traffic and long commutes.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:30 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,647,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photography View Post
Hello, and let me be the first to give you a warm welcome to Dallas (when you do move)!

People in the northeast tend to have very stereotypical, flawed views of people in Texas, because they lack knowledge about Texas in general (I currently split my time between Dallas and NYC, and I am a native Texan). There's no need to be hesitant in moving to Texas, as there are plenty of liberals.

First things first, do you have a job lined up already, or are you just wanting to possibly move to Dallas and then find a job afterwards? My advice would be to get a job first before moving to Dallas, then find a place to live that's close to where you work, as Dallas is notorious for horrible traffic and long commutes.
I will say that compared to Boston or many other cities, I don't find the traffic or commute TIMES to be worse in Dallas. However, the DRIVERS here are the worst I've encountered (yes, even worse than in Boston) and the DISTANCES for commutes are often quite long.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:31 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,415,814 times
Welcome to Texas... when you look back on it in 5 years you will consider this the biggest promotion ever. Texas is a huge diverse state with a population to match. You will find all kinds in abundance in DFW and not living in ethnic enclaves like some cities. You can find what you want in DFW other than mountains, cold long winters and refreshing summers. Welcome and come on down, I agree with the job point above though while the economy and job market is better than most, the word is out so we are seeing transplants of very talented people from all over coming to Tx to find a high end job..its not all min wage jobs as some papers and new organizations would have you believe. However those making lower wages can live in Tx on it much easier than most cities. Welcome and come on down!

Old 04-21-2012, 08:00 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,923 times
If you are moving here with a job, where is it going to be located? The Dallas-Fort Worth metro is huge and you don't want a killer commute if you don't have to have one.

Are you looking to rent in a more urban environment or do you want a single-family home in a more suburban environment? That will dictate where you want to live as well.

In terms of politics, you shouldn't have any problems, especially if you live in more central Dallas areas like Uptown, Lakewood, Knox Park (aka Knox-Henderson), East Dallas, Deep Ellum, Little Forest Hills, Oak Cliff, and Oak Lawn. Dallas itself is an island of light blue in a sea of deep red but if you survived Atlanta, you can survive here.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:03 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Anyone is allowed to have whatever politics they like here.

Unlike many people up north, Texans don't ruin entire dinner parties having to argue politics to death.

It's considered rude here.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:12 AM

613 posts, read 1,055,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Hi, I'm a 28 year old white female professional thinking of moving to Dallas for my job. I was raised in Boston and now live in Atlanta.

I know this is pretty vague, but what can I expect from life in Dallas? I have pretty liberal leanings and, frankly, am hesitant of moving to Texas. I can barely stand living in a red state like Georgia anymore.

Are the schools good? What are the demographics like? What are the good areas of Dallas to live in? Any insight is much appreciated.
I just moved here from Boston. I grew up in walpole. I love it here its not as red as you might think. PM me with any questions you have. Im a 30 year old white male I was in the same spot you were Im sure you will like it. Best decision I made

Old 04-21-2012, 08:26 AM

764 posts, read 1,657,579 times
Dallas doesn't have that "southern" stuffiness that folks in Altanta have or that love of all things southern. I suppose it's more of a love of all things Texan, but it doesn't seem as in your face as it was for me in Atlanta. While I lived in Roswell, we had friends in Buckhead and Virginia Highlands. If you're the VH type, east Dallas is the place for you. Buckhead is Uptown/University Park - expensive and old money. If you can barely stand living in Atlanta, I'm not sure Dallas is going to be much of an improvement. It's really not that different - rich suburbs to the north, poor areas to the south, a huge airport, lots of universities SMU, UNT, UTA, TCU (although I'd have give ATL a nudge on that one with Emory and GT - thinking of research/engineering), lots of cultural offerings, low cost of living. In Texas you won't pay income taxes, so you'll have more disposable income (vacations to CO are closer). What are the things you can't stand about Altanta? It's too green and hilly? Too close to the mountains and the ocean? Too much traffic? People are too fake?

Old 04-21-2012, 09:26 AM

219 posts, read 609,058 times
There have been many threads on "I'm liberal, should I move to Dallas?" I would search and read through those first. I guarantee you they will answer any question you have.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:34 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Many of us are conservative monetarily but liberal to moderate in our acceptance of people and Ideas. DFW has so many cultures and probably one of the most diverse and accepting you will find anywhere in the world. We have one of the largest gay, hispanic, Indian, Russian, on & on...

We are very independent and proud of our state. You'll develop a certain attitude once you've been here awhile.

Thought I'd share....

********* We're From Texas - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas