Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 10:33 AM

31 posts, read 77,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
I'm beginning to think that this forum needs a FAQ for public transit in the DFW area, since few, if any, posters, know how to take advantage of it.

There are many cases in which someone's workplace is within walking distance of a rail station, or an express bus station.

The DART website is DART.org - Dallas Area Rapid Transit

Actual address for American heart job

7272 Greenville Ave, Dallas, TX

Sorry for the mistake. Exit is Greenville/Walnut
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 10:39 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,069,093 times
Yvette, the Walnut Hill station is definitely close to that address, according to my Microsoft Streets and trips.

The station is next to the Presbyterian Hospital complex, and the AHA building is across the street, Greenville Avenue, from Presbyterian. Essentially, you'd walk thru the Presbyterian campus to get to AHA.

You're looking at a 2-3 minute walk.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:47 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,597,112 times
7272 Greenville Ave - I think that is walking distance to the Walnut Hill station. The station is just north of Walnut Hill:

If you look at that map, you see the rail come through. The station is basically at Glenville/Greenville. It might take 5-10 minutes to walk from the station.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Yvette, the Walnut Hill station is definitely close to that address, according to my Microsoft Streets and trips.

The station is next to the Presbyterian Hospital complex, and the AHA building is across the street, Greenville Avenue, from Presbyterian. Essentially, you'd walk thru the Presbyterian campus to get to AHA.

You're looking at a 2-3 minute walk.
Thats great! We actually could not tell if there wwas a short-cut through Pres campus, but that makes sense that there would be. So....thanks for the help.
Now, can anyone suggest an electric company in Plano? What about a cable/internet company? I know, the questions keep coming!!

Old 09-20-2007, 11:15 AM

95 posts, read 164,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvette4me45 View Post
Actually, I just looked again at the address for American Heart--this is the real address

I said Walnut and Greenville earlier because that is the exit that we take to get there. That being said, I don't think that there is a rail station that is close.....so, any other thoughts or ways to correct me would be appreciated! LOL!!
ALSO--Has anyone or does anyone know anyone that has worked at AHA? Any thoughts about this? Husband is very unsure about working at a non-profit, We worry that they will suck his life away!! I mean in hours...
Do you which business unit he'll be working for and what he'll be doing? I know AHA has a lot of different business units.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:25 AM

Default Science and Research!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnn View Post
Do you which business unit he'll be working for and what he'll be doing? I know AHA has a lot of different business units.
He will be in the science and Research Department. He is a Biostatistician. Does this help? We ahve heard horror stories about working many, many hours and much traveling when you work with/for a non-profit. He was interested anyway, just to see what the experience would be like. He is early enough in his carreer that he can take this..or get out if it is bad!

Old 09-20-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvette4me45 View Post
He will be in the science and Research Department. He is a Biostatistician. Does this help? We ahve heard horror stories about working many, many hours and much traveling when you work with/for a non-profit. He was interested anyway, just to see what the experience would be like. He is early enough in his carreer that he can take this..or get out if it is bad!
Re: working long hours... I used to tell my boss that if I didn't have time to eat lunch, I definitely didn't have time to work!

I found that there are two incompatible uses of the word "we". One is... "we have to pull together like a team and work enough to make it happen", and "we are having some funding problems and have to make some cuts...". When I was a worker, I was pretty agnostic, but now I'm retired, I thank God for it.

BTW, I don't know for a fact that there is a short cut thru the Presbyterian campus, but from the times I've been there it looks like there would be. Personally, I'd rather walk around it to AHA, if I had to, then drive down US75 from Plano every day.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:02 PM

Yvette, I went by the Pres hosp/ AHA site today and looked for a path thru the hospital. There does seem to be a reasonable path thru the hospital, but it does look like several blocks, not just a few steps. You probably want your DH to check it out before making a permanent decision.

You might consider a rail/bus transfer. DART gave this routing...

Your trip has 1 transfer and will take 30 minute[s]. Depart 8:05a from stop PARKER ROAD STATION on line "S - RED LINE - WESTMORELAND". Arrive 8:26a at stop WALNUT HILL STATION. Transfer 8:31a at stop WALNUT HILL STATION to line "501 MOCKINGBIRD STATION". Arrive 8:35a at final destination stop GREENVILLE @ PHOENIX - S - NS

Last edited by aceplace; 09-22-2007 at 08:12 PM..

Old 09-23-2007, 07:51 AM

Default Thank you!!

I really appreciate the thoughtful advice. It is really helping us to try and figure out how to do things, and navigate in Dallas.
I guess we are in for an adventure...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas