Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 10:29 AM

22 posts, read 42,895 times

Advertisements

We'll be moving to Plano over the summer with a 2nd grader & 5th grader. I have read a lot about the different plano schools online, but I know that a school can be so much more than numbers & statistics. Since our home buying trip will probably be after school is out, I won't have much chance to visit individual buildings. I want to make as much of an informed home buy as I can & there are so many schools to choose from!

Are there people on this forum with children currently attending Plano elementary & middle schools? If so, I'd love feedback & information as to the unique personality or character of each school you're familiar with! Here are some questions to guide the kind of info I'm looking for feel free to PM me instead!

what school does your child attend?
What are that school's strengths & weaknesses?
What 3 words would you use to describe your child's school?
How are parents received (welcomed, encouraged to be involved)? And how active are the parents that are there?
What do you think of the school's leadership & teachers?
THANKS A BUNCH!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 01:22 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,748,805 times
Do you know which part of Plano you are looking at?

I'm not a mom with little ones, but I do volunteer at the neighborhood elementary - Hunt in Murphy. It's a very parent involved school. Active PTA, WatchDOG program, great quality teachers. They are also getting a new principal this next year. He's been with the district a long time, and the retiring principal is the one who opened the school several years ago.

One of the coolest things is how attached the community is to staff - including the crossing guards. One of the guard's wife has been battling cancer and the kids and parents went in together to make several gift baskets along with a monetary donation. Which I thought was cool. But it got better - the guard and his wife held a picnic for the kids and parents as a thank you for their generosity - complete with games like tug of war and balloon toss. On a Saturday afternoon up at the school.

Actually I've heard very good things about Boggess as well - very active parents and that is encouraged by the staff, especially the principal.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:46 AM

22 posts, read 42,895 times
Thanks for this awesome feedback! That is exactly the kind of stuff I'm hoping to learn. Does anyone else want to pipe in with their experiences?

Regarding area, that is something we're a little flexible on..want to get in the right schools for our family...

Old 05-25-2012, 04:53 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,863,612 times
PM sent.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:33 PM

56 posts, read 77,006 times
My sister's kids go to Barksdale Elem. and Shepton, her family is very happy with both schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: