Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 12:23 PM

539 posts, read 1,923,736 times

Advertisements

I recently interviewed for a job in the DFW area. Though I come from a part of the country equally as conservative as Texas, I have spent the last few years living in New York. I wonder what the overall culture and climate of the DFW area would be for someone like myself, who is a moderate liberal (i.e. not ultra conservative like the stereotypical Texan).

Now, I'm not one to go around beating people upside the head with my political opinions, and I have friends of all political stripes. But at the same time, I have learned over time how important it can be to live in an area where you do not feel like you are constantly at war with everyone around you, or that you're some sort of outcast who simply doesn't fit in.

I am for the most part, a liberal, though I am conservative on some things, including 2nd Amendment rights, affirmative action, and military issues (to an extent). But I'm also pro-Obamacare, pro-gay marriage, pro-choice, and I'm not sure how comfortable I am living in the shadow of Big Oil.

Oh and one more thing, I am not religious. As a matter of fact, I'm an atheist. I know the Dallas area is known for its megachurches. How are non-religious people treated in DFW?

Old 10-21-2012, 12:34 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,471,945 times
Have you thought about looking in California (maybe San Francisco) for a job?

Old 10-21-2012, 12:44 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,211,931 times
You'll do okay, especially if you settle into Oak Lawn or Uptown. Nobody is going to care about your politics if you've got a cold beer. Dallas may have a reputation as a conservative city but it's citizens are far more liberal than anyone will say.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:19 PM

554 posts, read 1,196,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
I recently interviewed for a job in the DFW area. Though I come from a part of the country equally as conservative as Texas, I have spent the last few years living in New York. I wonder what the overall culture and climate of the DFW area would be for someone like myself, who is a moderate liberal (i.e. not ultra conservative like the stereotypical Texan).

Now, I'm not one to go around beating people upside the head with my political opinions, and I have friends of all political stripes. But at the same time, I have learned over time how important it can be to live in an area where you do not feel like you are constantly at war with everyone around you, or that you're some sort of outcast who simply doesn't fit in.

I am for the most part, a liberal, though I am conservative on some things, including 2nd Amendment rights, affirmative action, and military issues (to an extent). But I'm also pro-Obamacare, pro-gay marriage, pro-choice, and I'm not sure how comfortable I am living in the shadow of Big Oil.

Oh and one more thing, I am not religious. As a matter of fact, I'm an atheist.
I know the Dallas area is known for its megachurches. How are non-religious people treated in DFW?
All in bold: Me too!

You're safe in Dallas. AND Austin AND Houston AND San Antonio AND El Paso.

http://thepolitikalblog.files.wordpr...-election1.png

I actually live in Frisco (Northern Dallas suburb) right now and my friends and co-workers know my views. When I meet new people who refer to themselves as conservative republicans I soon find out, after talking with them, that they are "conservative republicans" because their parents are conservative republicans. I've noticed the "conservative" part fails to describe many of them when they tell me their views on civil rights, women's rights, gay rights, and even healthcare. They turn out more liberal than perhaps mommy and daddy might like.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-21-2012 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: copyrighted photos require that links are posted only per TOS

Old 10-21-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Have you thought about looking in California (maybe San Francisco) for a job?

I love San Fran, it's one of my favorite cities, but it's actually probably too liberal for me. Not to mention too expensive. The high cost of living is a big part of the reason why I want to leave NYC.

The religion issue is actually what concerns me the most. I'm not a militant atheist by any means, but at the same time, I don't want to live in someplace where I'll be an outcast just because I prefer to spend my Sunday mornings drinking beer and watching football instead of going to church.

Thanks for the info, guys. It's good to have some reassurance. That map looks blood red, but I guess the blue counties are where most of the people live anyway. Keep the feedback coming!

Old 10-21-2012, 01:32 PM

Besides, in this economy, you take what you can get in terms of jobs. At first I didn't want to leave the East Coast, but I have to what I have to do, you know?

Old 10-21-2012, 01:33 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
I've been in the area since July 30 and no one has asked me what religion I am or where I go to church.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:37 PM

933 posts, read 1,532,991 times
You'll be fine if you live in an area like Oak Lawn or Lakewood. However, if you're in the suburbs don't be too open with your beliefs. No Obama bumper sticker unless you want your car keyed. Stuff like that.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:39 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,814 times
Metro cities in general tend to be more tolerant than the more sparsely populated areas.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:50 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,471,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
I love San Fran, it's one of my favorite cities, but it's actually probably too liberal for me. Not to mention too expensive. The high cost of living is a big part of the reason why I want to leave NYC.

The religion issue is actually what concerns me the most. I'm not a militant atheist by any means, but at the same time, I don't want to live in someplace where I'll be an outcast just because I prefer to spend my Sunday mornings drinking beer and watching football instead of going to church.

Thanks for the info, guys. It's good to have some reassurance. That map looks blood red, but I guess the blue counties are where most of the people live anyway. Keep the feedback coming!
I'm sure that you'll find that the religion issue you're most concerned about will end up being the least of your concerns. For all the other 'issues' you addressed - just don't be displaying or too open about those beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas