Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2012, 06:54 PM

49 posts, read 75,219 times

Advertisements

Im here at altus ok for training and was going to meet my wife in dallas for a mini vacation and was wondering what area would be best for 25 yr olds. Obviously she will want to go shopping and such but we need a place where we can walk to bars/rest(she prefers wine/sushi bars). Also are there any really nice scenic walking areas (outdoors or even shopping areas?).

i looked at downtown seem like the joule was a nice hotel just now started to look at the uptown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 07:25 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,355 times
Either downtown or Uptown would be OK. The original Neiman-Marcus is downtown for shopping and there are some good restaurants downtown as well as some decent bars. You can take the free trolley from the Arts District downtown into Uptown for more restaurants and bars. Or you can take the DART light rail from the West End to the Cityplace station in Uptown.

If you stay in Uptown, there's the Hotel Zaza if you want more of a boutique hotel, the Ritz-Carlton and the Crescent if you want something bigger and there's some clothes shopping in the West Village.
Uptown Dallas - Main
West Village

As far as scenic walking areas nearby, there's the Katy Trail, a walking and bike trail that runs through Uptown and up towards Southern Methodist University. And, on weekend nights, McKinney Avenue in Uptown is fairly lively to walk around.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:46 PM

392 posts, read 633,867 times
The DART Red line will be an alternate route to the Westp Village for shopping, as well as restaurants. Exit at the CityPlace subway station.

One block after CityPlace is the Mockingbird Station area, which has a few more shops and restaurants, including an Urban Outfitters and a West Elm. The next station is the Lovers Lane station, one block away from a very unique food market called Central Market. Actually, it is incredible, much better than a Whole Foods. The next station after that, Park Lane, has the Northpark Mall on the west, as well as a complex of shops called Park Lane Place.

If you use DART rail, you can visita most of what Dallas has to offer without renting a car.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:57 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,863,612 times
For 25 year olds, I would go with Uptown. The bars and shopping are targeted to that group, though people of all ages like them too. The area is walkable, though being summer, it is hot during the evenings as well as the days. MATA - McKinney AvenueTransit Authority - M-Line is air conditioned though for traveling through the uptown area, as well as being fun.

Other scenic walks could include the Nasher Sculpture Center - Home downtown (though wear extra sunscreen and sunglasses, the new building next door has mucho reflection). Or, Welcome to Dallas Heritage Village - "Living Breathing Texas History" just south of downtown. If you wanted to drive further afield, in East Dallas, there is Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden | Yearly Festivals.

I hope that you and your wife have a great time during your visit.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:38 AM

19,798 posts, read 18,093,261 times
1. Focus on Uptown.
2. Force yourself to checkout the art scene - it'll surprise you.
3. Texas and OK have CHL reciprocity.
4. I'd also scope out Bishop Arts District in Oak Cliff - you'll need a cab or car.

Have fun!

Old 06-23-2012, 03:18 PM

49 posts, read 75,219 times
Thanks! I think i'm going to start looking for the uptown hotels

Old 06-23-2012, 07:01 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,268,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford2fast9 View Post
Thanks! I think i'm going to start looking for the uptown hotels
Uptown is nice on a Friday or Saturday night.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:47 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,306,275 times
Why not both? They connect to each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas