Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 09:12 PM

101 posts, read 119,596 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am looking to get some input on Dallas. We have already done a lot of research on the area including rent, employment, etc. We are a young diverse family and looking for a place to live that fits us, currently we reside in Arkansas. I am looking to get some input on the below mention things. Thanks in advance.

1. How are the theaters, museums,etc.?

2. How is the food?

3. What is your favorite things about Dallas?

4. What is one thing you wish someone told you about Houston before moving there?

5. How are the winters and summers ?

6. I see a 7.5% unemployment rate, does that reflect the job climate that you see?

7. What should we prepare ourselves for?

8. If given the opportunity to move away would you or do you love Dallas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 09:22 PM

19,798 posts, read 18,085,519 times
The BLS shows DFW unemployment at 6.8%.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:32 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,355 times
1) The arts and theater scene is wide and varied, especially when you throw in what's going on in Fort Worth. The Dallas Arts District, which some accuse of being sterile architecturally, nonetheless sees some phenomenal performances and is one of the largest arts districts in the country. You've got the Meyerson Symphony Center (home of the Dallas Symphony), the Winspear Opera House (Dallas Opera, some of the larger musicals), The Wyly Theater (Home of the Dallas Theater Center, Dallas Black Dance Theater, Ballet Folklorico), the new Performance Hall (for smaller arts groups), The Dallas Museum of Art, the Nasher Sculpture Center, Crow Collection of Asian Art, and Booker T. Washington High School for the Performing Arts. The new Perot Science Museum, opening next year in Victory Park, looks like it's going to be amazing. Then over in Fort Worth you've got Bass Hall (Fort Worth Opera, Fort Worth Symphony, touring stage productions), the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth, The world-renowned Kimbell Art Museum, the Amon Carter Museum, and the Fort Worth Community Arts Center. Plus, there are a variety of smaller arts organizations all around the Metroplex like Theater 3 in Dallas, Stage West in Fort Worth, and WaterTower Theater in Addison. There's more than enough to keep you busy.

2) What kind of food are you looking for? Yes, there are lots of chains here (some, like Macaroni Grill and Fuddruckers, even have their roots in Dallas) but there are more than enough mom and pop eateries as well as celebrated chefs doing interesting things. You can't walk outside your door without running face-first into a food truck. Though one shouldn't take anything from reality TV too seriously, it's not an accident that the last season of "Top Chef" was done in Texas and partly in Dallas.

3) Whether you love or hate Dallas itself, two of the best things about it are: a) it's relatively cheap for a big city with big city amenities and b) it's in the middle of the country so it doesn't take long, by plane, to get somewhere else. Outside of the heat in summer, it's a very comfortable city to live in.

4) I assume you mean "Dallas" here where you typed "Houston." Actually, there wasn't much anyone could tell me as I'd been here many times before moving.

5) Generally, winters aren't bad. Usually, there are a couple of light snowfalls. Some years (like this one) there's no snow at all. But then, as the whole country saw during Super Bowl, we can get hammered occasionally and the whole city seems to shut down -- but that's rare. Worse than snow is when it gets icy. If possible, stay off the roads when that happens. Overall, fall and winter are the nicest times to be here. Summers are the most grueling and springs can be as beautiful as autumn though that's also prime tornado season.

6) As mentioned above, the unemployment rate is just under 7.0%

7) You should be prepared for high property taxes

8) In a perfect world, I would move every few years, just to be in a new environment and experience a new place, especially if it were overseas. That would have no reflection on Dallas, which I like. But, in the real world, being a vagabond doesn't pay the bills and isn't good for family life.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:34 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
favorite things about the DFW area is relatively low cost of living, the great airport, the relatively low unemployment rate. Winters are pretty mild. Summers are punishing.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:57 PM

Default Great parks in Dallas

My family and I are moving to Dallas and want to know about some popular or top notch parks in Dallas. We are looking for safe, enjoyable areas in which to bring our child and enjoy the outdoors.I appreciate your help in advance.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:07 PM

Default Moving to Dallas and looking for input

My family and I are moving to Dallas. We are excited about the move and are waiting any info about the city we are about to call home.

Areas we are interested in:

Shopping

Arts and Theatre

Food

Climate

DFW

Six Flags

Car Inspection(that's new to us)

Any other fees as a new resident to Texas

We appreciate your input in advance

Old 08-04-2012, 09:19 PM

104 posts, read 164,763 times
These are very broad areas. Did you just decide to move here blindly not knowing anything about DFW, the climate, food, etc? I am not trying to be rude but I don't understand what you need to know.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:22 PM

I have done plenty of research and have everything lined up, just looking for a residents' input on things.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:27 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,846 times
What area of Dallas? It is big and things such as shopping vary by areas.

What types of arts interest you besides theater?

Old 08-04-2012, 09:28 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,846 times
White Rock Lake is the best park in Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas