Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 01:22 PM

150 posts, read 857,784 times

Advertisements

A couple of months ago there was some discussion about public transportation and McKinney. Many felt DART was not in the city's future. I had attended a few of the city planning meetings and study meetings so I knew there was an interest in some form of public transporation system linking McKinney with Dallas. While it is obviously some years away, there is support for the DART rail system. This article might provide additional information for those thinking about moving north of Dallas.

http://www.courier-gazette.com/artic...ws/nnews01.txt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 04:22 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,067,215 times
I'm encouraged by the appearance of an interest in rail in McKinney. I think that the city definitely needs to connect to the rest of the Dallas-area transit network.

A lot depends on the state implementing better funding mechanisms.

Also, the exact kind of rail in McKinney needs some discussion. Will a McKinney train need to stop at every existing rail station before it reaches central Dallas? Or can the McKinney and DART rail authorities build bypass trackage around certain stations?

Old 01-02-2008, 12:12 PM

50 posts, read 195,077 times
If you are lucky in McKinney you might have a transportation agency other than DART. You can not trust DART. We in Rowlett have been paying a cent of our tax money for DART for more than 23 years. The bus service has actually gone down. Twenty years ago they had a shuttle bus that went around our city. That was stopped many years ago. DART promised that Rowlett would get light rail by 2008. Now it is 2012 if we are extremely lucky. DART is also talking about having only one rail line to Rowlett instead of two everywhere else and wants the city to pay for some of the construction or purchase of right a way. Irving is in the same boat as we are.

DART is the worse bureaucracy that I have ever seen. Someone needs to do an efficiency study on that agency but they don't answer to anyone. The organization is extremely top heavy. They are experts at wasting taxpayer money. They spend millions on HOV lanes that few use and in cities that don't pay the DART "dues" such as Mesquite and Allen. DART spends over $50,000 for ART at each of the light rail stations it opens. Thousands ride the light rail system free because riders aren't required to show tickets to anyone. DART believes in the honor system and people definitely take advantage of that.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:26 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,760,491 times
My husband is taking my son to St Louis for a weekend of baseball and hockey in April. He doesn't even need to rent a car - he's taking the metro train from the airport to the hotel which is right by the venues on the riverfront under the Arch. I totally forgot what a good transit system St Louis had - it even goes into IL about 20 miles to the Air Force base now, making stops a long the way. It's too bad Dallas/FW doesn't take advantage of a rail system like this - given it's suburban expanse.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:36 PM

24 posts, read 81,543 times
mckinneydeb, thanks for the link. That's got some promise.
As for the problems in Rowlett and Irving, I agree that DART has problems. But I believe in this alternative to filling our roads with more and more single-occupant vehicles. Yes, there will be waste, and some people will not pay. They are just asking for trouble. Here are some names to remember: Top NTTA Viotalors
I plan on continuing to be an honest, law-abiding citizen, myself.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlett Resident View Post
DART is also talking about having only one rail line to Rowlett instead of two everywhere else and wants the city to pay for some of the construction or purchase of right a way. Irving is in the same boat as we are.
Irving is doing great. We have three stations already, and we're getting two more in a week and a half. Your station opens at the same time. Although, really, the main value of the line isn't about travelling within Rowlett. It's about getting in and out of town. You may not be excited about it, yet, but wait until you ride it for the first time. If you work in downtown Dallas or somewhere else along the line, it beats rush hour traffic ANY day. Since our rail stations opened, I haven't driven downtown once.

One reason McKinney should go with DART in congruity. The A-train from Denton ends at the county line, and you have to change trains, which often means a wait. Why would you do that when you can get a non-stop ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlett Resident View Post
DART spends over $50,000 for ART at each of the light rail stations it opens. Thousands ride the light rail system free because riders aren't required to show tickets to anyone. DART believes in the honor system and people definitely take advantage of that.
$50 grand for a permanent installation? That's a bargain. It's always local art, too, that is designed to highlight the surrounding neighborhoods' characters. As part of the operational costs for a major transportation system, the cost is a drop in the bucket. I wouldn't worry about a one-time expense like that. It's the variable costs over time that can break the bank.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:22 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icowrich View Post
Irving is doing great. We have three stations already, and we're getting two more in a week and a half. Your station opens at the same time. Although, really, the main value of the line isn't about travelling within Rowlett. It's about getting in and out of town. You may not be excited about it, yet, but wait until you ride it for the first time. If you work in downtown Dallas or somewhere else along the line, it beats rush hour traffic ANY day.
My, how times (and opinions) can change over the years! The posts you quoted were from way back in 2008!

Quite a celebration planned in Rowlett on December 1, 2012, with the opening of the Dart Light Rail Blue Line into their city.

See:
Main Street Fest: Ride the Rowlett Express

Congratulations, Rowlett!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas