Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 07:29 PM

32 posts, read 136,074 times

Advertisements

My friend and sister are planning a move to Dallas soon. I am a recent college graduate from a school here in Michigan, and like many people in Michigan, I am ready to jump on the train riding out of this state!

We would like to stay as close to downtown as possible and probably will rent an apartment. we can probably afford $550/person assuming the job market is what i've heard it is. (all positives).

I have never been to Dallas so, I have some questions:

1) is downtown a good/safe area?
2) my degree is in International Relations, what are some businesses/corporations in the Dallas area would fit this degree?
3) what are the positives and negatives of moving to Dallas and what are some of the main attractions in Dallas?

I'd appreciate any and all feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 07:51 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
1) is downtown a good/safe area?
Yes. I'm a female and I feel safe down there. I don't live there but I go there for many functions or whatever I need to. I have worked downtown before and felt plenty safe. We attend almost all of the Dallas Stars home games at AAC and I will even go w/ one of my kids (girls) w/o my husband.

2) my degree is in International Relations, what are some businesses/corporations in the Dallas area would fit this degree?
You might try giving the Dallas Convention Center a call along w/ the the Dallas Convention and Visitors Bureau. The Chamber of Commerce would be another good source.

3) what are the positives and negatives of moving to Dallas and what are some of the main attractions in Dallas?
Positives: Cost of Living (although not as "cheap" as some find out it is still much better than many other places). If you are in the market for a job at any time in the future you will probably be able to stay local and not have to move. Job growth has pretty much always been steady in the Dallas area. Being able to purchase a home at some time. Even singles are capable of purchasing a home and still living very comfortable. Good schools. Good weather overall to enjoy outdoor activities. Sports, that could be attending a sports game be it major or minor league or participating yourself. Adult leagues are BIG around here for most sports. When it comes time to buy that house your options of locations are endless. Travel: Easy to get anywhere from the airports here. You will find most of us take summer family vacations to all kinds of places along w/ a trip at Spring Break and many during the Christmas holidays. Many even have second homes be it a lake house, farm, condo or beach house, etc. There are plenty of other positives but you would be more interested in those at a lil bit of an older age (things like buying a lake house, retirement activities, etc).
Negatives: I'm going to assume your all females. This COULD be a negative as the ratio of available men to women is not to your advantage. That is when it comes to males that you would ACTUALLY WANT to date seriously or settle down with. There are PLENTY of the types that would be okay to go out and have fun with . Some say it is too hot and humid. That is subjective. Like any place there are going to be negatives but if there are enough positives to make them worth it where you can overlook those hiccups.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:25 PM

150 posts, read 857,867 times
Fluency in one or more languages would certainly up your marketability in certain positions. Do you speak another language?

Old 01-17-2008, 09:31 PM

I am currently at an intermediate Spanish level. I'm working on becoming more proficient.

In addition, me and my friend are single males, so i guess it actually looks good for us then?

Old 01-17-2008, 09:34 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,801,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readytojet! View Post
In addition, me and my friend are single males, so i guess it actually looks good for us then?
LoL... I'd say you're in the money!

Old 01-17-2008, 09:38 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
YES!!! Two young professional males, with good jobs........ YES, you hit the jackpot.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
that sounds about right!

i'm considering Camden Farmers Market (apartments), does anyone have any feedback on these? (location, quality, friendliness, etc.)

also, what is the racial diversity make-up of Dallas? I am an African-American who grew up in a largely Caucasian community but I am looking for a much more diverse culture. What does Dallas offer?

Old 01-17-2008, 10:31 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,481,511 times
Double check on those apts - a friend of mine lived there on a first floor after they were built - he had homeless people sleeping on his patio...not sure if they've fixed that problem...he moved out quickly.

Also don't rent a place (at Camden Farmer's Mkt) facing the highway. I believe this is the bldg where a pregnant woman was shot and killed when a gunmen shot towards her window from the highway. Does anybody else remember this?...it was a few months ago.

Personally, I'd look elsewhere. Like up near Henderson or Fitzhugh off I-75.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:58 AM

Well, is crime a regular occurrence downtown? I guess if gunmen are frequently shooting from the highways, maybe i should re-think the whole idea.

How close to downtown can i get a 3bdr. 2bath apartment or townhome for about $1500-1600? can anyone give me examples for me to check out?

Old 01-18-2008, 09:15 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Not common, that's why it was big news:

You might do some searching at:

Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum | 7 Years Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas