Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 06:20 PM

6 posts, read 17,170 times

Advertisements

Ladies and Gentleman,

I would really appreciate some input from folks who have moved from San Diego to Dallas.

If I don't plan to buy a house but just rent a 2 bedroom, will a 15% raise be good enough to cover the cost of living difference and state tax difference if I move to San Diego from Dallas? If not, how much a month will I be hurt? The SD job is better, but I've heard horror stories about making ends meet in Cali!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 06:52 PM

40 posts, read 134,178 times
I have lived in both areas. I really would not mind living in San Diego for the rest of my life, but I cannot justify the cost of living there.

Check out this website. It will show you how much your dollar is worth in each area.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:53 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,677,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboDallas View Post
Ladies and Gentleman,

I would really appreciate some input from folks who have moved from San Diego to Dallas.

If I don't plan to buy a house but just rent a 2 bedroom, will a 15% raise be good enough to cover the cost of living difference and state tax difference if I move to San Diego from Dallas? If not, how much a month will I be hurt? The SD job is better, but I've heard horror stories about making ends meet in Cali!

Thanks
I grew up in San Diego (Carlsbad and then lived in O.B. and La Jolla). My wife and I moved to Dallas from L.A. this past summer. Dallas is a great city and we're happy we are here but if you take housing costs out of the equation I would choose San Diego. The weather is better, the city is gorgeous and I think there is more to do there. With that said, the housing costs in San Diego are obscene.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:37 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,763,614 times
My wife and I just moved from San Diego nine weeks ago and just closed on a home in Houston(Katy Tx.).we made well over 150k combine income and we could not buy a home that we really wanted. we would have had to buy a condo or a fixer upper in City Heights or Southeast SD and even then you're looking at 200k plus for a condo or 500k plus for a 3b/2ba(20yr old) home.

We choose to live the life we wanted and be able to start a family in the midwest . I love telling my friends about our home we paid for (250k) that would have cost us about 700 to 800k for the same type of home and the same type of neigborhood in San Diego.

If Money was not and issuse then I would stay in San Diego, but if you're looking to get the most out of what you have then stay away! Life's too short, Good Luck with your decision.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:42 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,434,332 times
If you are solely looking at housing costs, then San Diego doesn't make sense. Also recall that salaries are lower in San Diego as well.

Median family income in San Diego is around 60k....
Median family income in Plano is around 120k....

BUT.....the 4Bdr/2ba 2,000 sq/ft 600k home in a nice area of San Deigo would cost you sub 300k in North Dallas/Collin County. However, the taxes are about 2.5x-3x those of San Diego here in Dallas. Utility costs are also alot higher here.

In the end, if the salary structure was the same in both places, I think it's a wash personally because most people don't expect a home of similar size/quality when moving to San Diego. Your moving next to the Pacific Ocean, so the tradeoffs are pretty obvious. The weather and year round quality of life there is not comparable to any place else in the US.....so you pay a premium for that as well.

The home prices are also dropping in San Diego, so I'd expect in the next year there will be alot of deals to be had. I'm guessing even well under $300 a sq/ft.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:48 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,677,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
If you are solely looking at housing costs, then San Diego doesn't make sense. Also recall that salaries are lower in San Diego as well.

Median family income in San Diego is around 60k....
Median family income in Plano is around 120k....

BUT.....the 4Bdr/2ba 2,000 sq/ft 600k home in a nice area of San Deigo would cost you sub 300k in Dallas. However, the taxes are about 2.5x here in Dallas.

In the end, if the salary structure was the same in both places, I think it's a wash personally because most people don't expect a home of similar size/quality when moving to San Diego. Your moving next to the Pacific Ocean, so the tradeoffs are pretty obvious. The weather and year round quality of life there is not comparable to any place else in the US.....so you pay a premium for that.
Comparing the entire city of San Diego's median income to Plano's is apples and oranges. A more accurate comparison would be Plano to Carlsbad, Rancho Bernardo, etc. In those communities median income will be similar. Also, property taxes are not 2.5x San Diego in the Dallas area, it's the tax rate that is higher. I'll 2.5% on $250k over 1% on 1 million any day, and that's not even figuring the 9% state income tax CA takes which TX does not.

With that said, I hold by my earlier post. If you come to Dallas I think you will be happy. It's a vibrant big city with lots to do, and the people here are much nicer and friendler than in Southern California. But it's hard to beat life in San Diego overall if you take the cost factor out of things.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:41 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
You can fly to San Diego (or anywhere else in the USA in 2-3 hours) twice a month from DFW on the cheap fares. I know, my sister lives just north of SD. I actually prefer to go to San Diego for IKEA rather than driving to Frisco.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:45 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,069,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Comparing the entire city of San Diego's median income to Plano's is apples and oranges. A more accurate comparison would be Plano to Carlsbad, Rancho Bernardo, etc. In those communities median income will be similar. Also, property taxes are not 2.5x San Diego in the Dallas area, it's the tax rate that is higher. I'll 2.5% on $250k over 1% on 1 million any day, and that's not even figuring the 9% state income tax CA takes which TX does not.
It's important to continue making these points. Property taxes in California cost roughly the same amount of Dollars as in Texas or Dallas. Unfortunately for California, the same amount of Dollars in Cali buys less in benefits, since costs are higher.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:49 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,069,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I actually prefer to go to San Diego for IKEA rather than driving to Frisco.
What's the difference? Is it worth hours in the airport, the hassle and inconvenience of flying, and several hundred bucks? I'm as surprised as if you told me that you'd rather go to San Diego for no other reason than to eat at a McDonalds or a Burger King, instead of one in Dallas.

The stuff I buy at IKEA would be pretty inconvenient to carry on a plane. It's hard enough to heave it onto the roof rack of my car.

Or... let me be a little more blunt. For some reason, it's worth it to you. Why would it be worth it to me?

Last edited by aceplace; 10-16-2007 at 11:03 AM..

Old 10-16-2007, 03:11 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
Well I was kidding a bit but it's just more convenient for me to go to IKEA while in San Diego. I have been to the IKEA up in Frisco only once and if I'm going to spend that much time getting somewhere it might as well be on a fun trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas