Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 08:20 AM

11 posts, read 15,960 times

Advertisements

Planning my escape from Los Angeles (Pasadena). I have a 1930s Spanish home which I am in the process of remodeling and then selling.

My long-term plan is to move to Dallas (went to college there and lived there a long time ago) and take the capital from my Pasadena home to start doing the same thing in Dallas.

When I lived there lower Greenville was starting to get remodeled and Central Expressway was not redone.

My sense is that real estate is finally getting better and the Texas economy is much better than it is in California - so it's a good time to escape.

Gay male, late 40s. Live in a neighborhood with upscale young families - a few gay families - but don't have to live in the gay ghetto.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 10:16 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
North Oak Cliff is prob the first neighborhood I would point you towards. It has just exploded over the past 5-7 years in terms of being "rediscovered". A lot of the "cool" gay guys have migrated there from Oak Lawn- drawn into the charming homes built between 1910-1950 (quaint craftsman bungalows, charming Tudors and Spanis style cottages and mansions, and really cool mid-centur moderns) as well as the huge restaurant scene. The last few years have seen multiple "best new restaurants" which are located in NOC.

It's a beautiful area- hills & winding streets, and just 10 minutes from Downtown / Uptown via surface streets. The new bridges and redevelopment along the Trinity will continue to drive growth in NOC for decades.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:40 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
Lower Greenville still has a lot of renovations but now there are teardowns and new homes going in - Vickery Place, Belmont and other sections have conservation districts to regulate new construction. Cochran Heights off Henderson is an interesting neighborhood if you haven't seen it, and it's off Henderson Avenue, which is booming.

I live in Junius Heights and I think it's an excellent place to renovate. We are now a historic district and we have an annual tour - there were a couple of homes on it this year with renovations in progress. We have mostly Craftsman Bungalows somewhat like the northern parts of Pasadena and we also have some Tudors and Spanish style homes (a few) that were built mostly in the 20s. Mine is a 1916 actual Sears kit home.

See http://www.juniusheights.org/publici...ghts-best-2010 which also cites the schools as a reason to buy in the neighborhood. However, it's not all families, there's quite a mixture.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:06 PM

27 posts, read 47,781 times
I agree with posts above. Those are very good areas for flipping. I have a neighbor who flipped few homes in West Plano's Glen Eagles & steeplechase. Not major renovation but more like cosmetic, roof & appliances.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:18 AM

11 posts, read 15,960 times
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Those sound like great neighborhoods. What do you think about East Dallas, White Rock Lake and Northwest?

Old 12-01-2012, 06:28 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,864,685 times
Check out the M Streets and Lakewood as well.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:06 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,749,453 times
Given your expertise and patience level, I'd consider using your capital to become a landlord as the rental market here is really good and will be for a very long time. And property values will grow over time. Renting is flipping but on a 20 year cycle.

Depending on your capitalization, you might be able to do this full time, depending on the number of homes you can get and what kind of relationship you can get with a local bank. Since there is no income tax in TX, and if you can do it full time and pay yourself a salary, its lucrative if you can get the property at the right price and can do the improvements/repairs yourself.

The major underserved market for home rentals here is the upwardly mobile hispanics who are looking to move up from apartment living and into the better suburbs. Richardson, Carrollton, and parts of Plano...

The economy is MUCH better in TX. Between oil, technology, and the expansion of the port facilities, there will be another 500,000 to 1 million jobs created in the next five years.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:14 PM

69 posts, read 238,357 times
I'm currently living in a duplex in East Dallas 75228 (renting) and the landlord is putting it on the market. I'm looking at purchasing and living in one side and renting out the other. The house is in good shape and in a good neighborhood. It would be my fist time buying and being a landlord. Should be an interesting experience.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:19 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhugh View Post
I'm currently living in a duplex in East Dallas 75228 (renting) and the landlord is putting it on the market. I'm looking at purchasing and living in one side and renting out the other. The house is in good shape and in a good neighborhood. It would be my fist time buying and being a landlord. Should be an interesting experience.
Read up on what your rights and responsibilities are first. It'll make it much more pleasant for you and your future tenants.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:53 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
The first property I bought was a duplex in East Dallas 75206 (Knox-Henderson/Cochran Heights/Vickery Place area) i didn't live there when I bought it but I did live there for 8 years, moving in about 4-5 years after I bought it... paid it off while renting out the other side and buying other properties - one every few years. Then paid those off...

Did this while working full time and it worked well for me. For instance, the orignal duplex was about $50,000 - now it's worth around $250,000. A California developer recently bought a lot of property along Henderson for $50 million - so maybe there is more upside!

Be careful about renting to friends and getting too involved with your tenant. Go by the book (see Texas Property Code).

Good luck, I think you are off to a great start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas