Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 02:52 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Or the OP could move somewhere else and get both.
California or Seattle perhaps. They cost a lot more and if the OP wanted other suggestions she would have asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 03:16 PM

27 posts, read 77,785 times
I think you hit the nail right on the head. Dallas is mega-city with all that entails, and with a lower cost of living. From your words it also seems that it would more suit your lifestyle. Austin on the other hand, is a more of a second tier city, albeit a state capitol (state capitols usually are smaller cities), a university town, and the the high tech capitol of Texas. It is the music capitol of Texas as well, and as you have noted, a more outdorsey, funky, more expensive place to be. That said, from what I'm reading from you, Dallas would more suit what you're looking for.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:07 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
I think you have a pretty good grasp on the pros & cons of both cities- except for the comments about Dallaa being overrun with fat & out of shape people. I have spent almost all my life in the general "box" of real estate you'd be considering in Dallas (Park Cities growing up, Turtle Creek / Uptown in my single 20's, and now married in East Dallas). I RARELY ever see an overweight / obese person in my daily life. If anything, there seem to be more people who move here and are overwhelmed by the pressure to be thin and "compete" with all the thin/ tan/ blonde single women.

There are tons of runners and cyclists in Dallas- especially in East Dallas around White Rock. Seems there is always a 10k or other race going on. Lots of country clubs means lots of tennis & golf. Then there are tons of boot camps and cross fit / tread type places, yoga, adult dance / zumba classes, the major NYC gyms like Exhale & Equinox, gazillions of gyms (Gold's, 24 hour fitness, Lifetime, etc) on every other major corner, etc.

The further out from city center you get, the more you are likely to see overweight/ big hair/ etc Texas stereotypes. But in Uptown or surrounding areas, you're more likely to see hot thin/ tight women walking home on the Katy Trail after spin class or yoga or boot camp.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:21 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,408,992 times
Dallas hand down. Austin is a nice town, Dallas is a city. The odds of finding a mate, who is not overweight is better in Dallas. The job prospects are broader in Dallas.....the life experience is broader in Dallas as well.

I like to visit Austin on occasion but couldnt not live there.. It is small and narrow in its economy and breadth of diversity. I think your experience of Dallasites being more obeses than Austin residents does not match my experience with both cities.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:58 PM

4 posts, read 6,519 times
Based on all your preferences I would definitely choose Dallas. You will find the majority of the things you are looking for all wrapped up in one place here. Austin definitely has more of the outdoor scene, but you can get pinches of that in Dallas as well especially around White Rock Lake, where you can get in your cycling, walking, running, fishing, boating, water sports, etc. Also, people underestimate (or just dnt know about) the great outdoor experiences that can be had at Cedar Hill State Park, just a short drive from Dallas, especially on weekends.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:21 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilarDLS View Post
Hi Everyone,

After my divorce last Spring, I spent the summer "test driving" some cities, among them Dallas and Austin. I lived for two weeks in each one in a rented, furnished apartment, and I liked them both, so much so that now I can't decide where I want to live.

About me: I'm an entrepreneur/attorney, 42, single, very active, and love art, culture, symphony, ballet and fine dining; those are the amenities that I seek in my new city. I"d like to marry again eventually, so a pool of quality single men is important to me. I enjoy sophisticated and educated people.

My impressions so far:

Dallas is bigger and more polished than Austin. Traffic isn't bad if I choose to live in the areas bordered by downtown to the south, White Rock Lake to the east, Love Field to the west, and Northwest Highway to the north. Real estate prices are reasonable, and there seem like lots of art and cultural events. I perceive that there are probably more available men here. Outdoor activities seem plentiful, and the weather is good. There is access to good food (central market, Trader Joes) and health care seems to be high-quality (although my health insurance is going to about double; seems that there are lots of fat people in Dallas, I'm told.) So Dallas seems to suit me.

Austin is more expensive to live in due to housing prices that seem to be about 30-50% higher than Dallas for a comparable house. I thought Austin was beautiful, and loved the outdoor activities there, running around Town Lake in the summer time, and there seem to be lots of outdoor concerts. Not sure about the art opportunities, though. Traffic seems to be much worse than Dallas. There seems to be kind of a "funkier" vibe in Austin, which I kind of like. People are friendly and outdoorsy and open, and less polished than in Dallas. The neighborhoods in Austin seemed a little "shaggier" with no sidewalks or curbs, which I thought was a little strange given the high price of real estate there.

So, I just can't decide. Money isn't really an issue for me, and I can afford to live a very nice life in either place. Austin reminds me of Portland, where I grew up, which seemed a little casual and provincial at times. I'm more of a "dress up and go out to dinner" type girl. But I'm also very athletic, and wonder if Austin might suit me better on that account; Dallasites didn't seem very athletic as a whole.

Does anyone have any thoughts about Dallas vs. Austin, given what I've mentioned that I like?
So first of all, I've lived in both and I have to say your perception is pretty good and you seem to have a good sense of both cities.

I like both. But I would be very picky about where I live in either. Austin is definitely more expensive in the neighborhoods you'd want to live in (exclusive of the park cities). If your career opportunities were equal in both I'd lean toward Austin as a personal preference, but you wouldn't make a mistake by choosing Dallas. You seem to have a good sense of the places, in your case I'd recommend trusting your gut.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:08 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
If you want something "Austin-ish" in Dallas, then try M-Streets, Vickery Place, Cochran Heights, Junius Heights east of Central Expressway - you are also very convenient to the things you named that you like about Dallas, plus you can get to White Rock Lake quickly. The first three neighborhoods are also convenient to the Katy Trail, and also somewhat walkable (many restaurants and shops in Knox-Henderson and along Lower Greenville). In Junius Heights you can walk to Lakewood Shopping Center - which you should also check out...have a glass of wine at the bar at Times Ten Winery and ask around, I think you will get a good feel for the area there.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:57 PM

986 posts, read 1,272,386 times
Lots of lawyers are looking for work in Austin, if that matters.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:24 PM

551 posts, read 1,098,880 times
I'd say Austin hands down. Tons more outdoor stuff to do with the hill country, Lake Travis, Barton Springs. Austin downtown is way better, music seen kills Dallas, and people are more laid back.

Dallas wins on sprawling generic suburbs, big box retailers and chain restaurants. Although Austin is quickly getting the same way.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:29 PM

743 posts, read 1,320,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
I'd say Austin hands down. Tons more outdoor stuff to do with the hill country, Lake Travis, Barton Springs. Austin downtown is way better, music seen kills Dallas, and people are more laid back.

Dallas wins on sprawling generic suburbs, big box retailers and chain restaurants. Although Austin is quickly getting the same way.
I find that most people that love Austin and hate Dallas are comparing the immediate area around downtown Austin to the DFW suburban hinterlands. Round Rock is just as plain-o as Plano. The OP isn't considering Plano or the generica north of there. You really think that the west campus area is better for a 40 year old single woman than Oak Lawn? Then tell us why. But comparing the Dallas burbs to the small, cool area of Austin is just lame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas