Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 10:49 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,190 times

Advertisements

I'm a single male who's lived in central Texas for too long and wants to make that transition to life in a big city. I've lived in the San Antonio area but that hardly counts as a major city to me. I'm ready for more opportunities and a fuller lifestyle with an endless amount of things to get into.

The problem is I can't decide what city is a better fit for me. Atlanta is also an option (I'm saving that for their forum), but I'd much rather stay in Texas if I could. And I told myself that wherever the most money was is where I'll go, but I don't think the decision is that simple.

Of the two, Houston honestly seems like the more exciting city and a better fit for myself but I've heard too many bad things to be completely comfortable moving down there without more information about the bugs, the heat (I work outside), the ugliness, etc. Some have told me great things about Dallas, but I've also heard that it's bland. And considering the fact that it's smaller than Houston, I would assume there's less to do.

I've driven thru both countless numbers of times, but never got a real feel for either city. Which is why I need your help in choosing Houston over Dallas or vice versa. I'm hoping you all can assist me with this.

Here are some other questions to go by:

1. Which city usually has the cheaper rent for apartments
2. Which has the worse traffic
3. Shorter commute times
4. Better for jobs (especially during our nation's recent economic crisis)
5. Which city has the better black social scene
6. Which has the better music scene

Sorry if my post seems a little choppy or incomplete, but I'm typing this as it comes to head.

I'll be more than happy to provide you with any other information you may need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 10:58 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
which one has the JOB is the question I would be asking and that would be the answer for where to move

Old 04-15-2009, 11:31 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,529,597 times
1. Which city usually has the cheaper rent for apartments
Anywhere you can find CHEAP rent...it what you perfer is the real question. Down Town, Uptown, Night life, Communtiy Living, Rural, Burbs.....you posting has to be more specific.
2. Which has the worse traffic.
Both Cities have their fair share of traffic, so you MUST be more specific.
3. Shorter commute times
From where to where???? Need to be more specfic.....from one side of Dallas to the other? From South Dallas to West Dallas....again can't help you with these questions.
4. Better for jobs (especially during our nation's recent economic crisis)
What kind of jobs, jobs are everywhere, need to narrow down to work path your in, retail, contructions, office.....night time jobs, daytime jobs, third shift jobs.......
5. Which city has the better black social scene.
I can't answer this one because I don't have social knowledge of Houston.
6. Which has the better music scene.
Austin! Dallas has good music driven areas, and I am sure Houston does as well.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:42 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
I'm a single male who's lived in central Texas for too long and wants to make that transition to life in a big city. I've lived in the San Antonio area but that hardly counts as a major city to me. I'm ready for more opportunities and a fuller lifestyle with an endless amount of things to get into.
Man...San Antonio's the 2nd largest city in Texas and 7th largest in the US. Now as far as metro-area is concerned, D/FW is 5th in the nation in size, Houston is 6th, and San Antonio is 31st.

Be aware that by asking this question you're gonna get a TON of homers who will do nothing but bash the other city incessantly because there's a HUGE swordfight between DFW and Houston as to which area is better.

For me it boils down to the quality of life. Sure DFW is hotter than the blazes in summer, but Houston is swampy and humid year-round.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Man...San Antonio's the 2nd largest city in Texas and 7th largest in the US. Now as far as metro-area is concerned, D/FW is 5th in the nation in size, Houston is 6th, and San Antonio is 31st.

Be aware that by asking this question you're gonna get a TON of homers who will do nothing but bash the other city incessantly because there's a HUGE swordfight between DFW and Houston as to which area is better.

For me it boils down to the quality of life. Sure DFW is hotter than the blazes in summer, but Houston is swampy and humid year-round.
Well, the last thing I want is any bashing. I'm hoping all posters will be mature.

And I know San Antonio is large, and it is on the come-up, but not on the scale of HOU/DAL/ATL.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:26 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,516,646 times
Quote:
And considering the fact that it's smaller than Houston, I would assume there's less to do.
I really don't want to start another Dallas/Houston pissing match, but I will say that despite the difference in population they both feel about the same size to me when I am inside either inner-city. The city of Houston is spread out over 600 square miles and the city of Dallas is spread out over 385 square miles. Houston does have a larger population than Dallas, but that population is distributed over a geographically larger area. Dallas has a lot more suburbs than Houston and that is where much of the population that works in Dallas actually live. If you erased the municipal boundaries between Dallas and some of the inner-ring suburbs you would end up with a similar number of people spread out over a similar amount of land as Houston. The big picture is that there is a lot to do in both places. The inner-core of each city is relatively dense and offers plenty of options for living/working/playing.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:30 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
I can't say much about Houston but I'll tell you about Dallas.

"5. Which city has the better black social scene?" - Cedar Hill, Lancaster, and Oak Cliff/Dallas has a large black social scene.

Dallas has The Deep Ellum Arts Music festival, The Wildflower Music Festival, Mardi Gra festival, Halloween party on cedar springs rd , and New years eve party each year.

The retail is located at the galleria,north park, and grapevine mill malls. There are many other newer shopping centers and bookstores scattered all over Dallas. Shopping centers are also all over Frisco, Lewisville, Cedar Hill, and Grapevine.

Arlington has theme parks. Dallas has concert venues like house of blues, the amphitheater, AA center, and palladium.

There are several movie theaters where you can be served a nice dinner or lunch at.

The hill country state parks and nature preservation of Dallas is in cedar hill and south grand prairie.

The night life is huge without it being crowded like it is on 6th in Austin. There are many night clubs and sports bars in central Dallas, uptown, and greenville avenue. Unfortunately they are scattered about, and you never know which one is good and which one is a dump. You have to do trial and error. I don't know which ones black people go to either.

The big art scene is on dragon street and deep ellum.

There are a variety of unique restaurants and hang out places scattered all over the city.

Dallas wasn't bland when I visited the area. I would check out Cedar Hill if I were you.

Last edited by artsyguy; 04-15-2009 at 04:40 PM..

Old 04-15-2009, 05:22 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Houston regularly gets threats from hurricanes and Dallas might get the tornado warning here and there - from the perspective of an outsider who listens to the news.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I can't say much about Houston but I'll tell you about Dallas.

"5. Which city has the better black social scene?" - Cedar Hill, Lancaster, and Oak Cliff/Dallas has a large black social scene.

Dallas has The Deep Ellum Arts Music festival, The Wildflower Music Festival, Mardi Gra festival, Halloween party on cedar springs rd , and New years eve party each year.

The retail is located at the galleria,north park, and grapevine mill malls. There are many other newer shopping centers and bookstores scattered all over Dallas. Shopping centers are also all over Frisco, Lewisville, Cedar Hill, and Grapevine.

Arlington has theme parks. Dallas has concert venues like house of blues, the amphitheater, AA center, and palladium.

There are several movie theaters where you can be served a nice dinner or lunch at.

The hill country state parks and nature preservation of Dallas is in cedar hill and south grand prairie.

The night life is huge without it being crowded like it is on 6th in Austin. There are many night clubs and sports bars in central Dallas, uptown, and greenville avenue. Unfortunately they are scattered about, and you never know which one is good and which one is a dump. You have to do trial and error. I don't know which ones black people go to either.

The big art scene is on dragon street and deep ellum.

There are a variety of unique restaurants and hang out places scattered all over the city.

Dallas wasn't bland when I visited the area. I would check out Cedar Hill if I were you.
Honestly, the Cedar Hill/DeSoto area appealed to me the most, but my worry was how far away it was from the airport which is where I'll be working.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:43 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
What airport?

Quote:
Honestly, the Cedar Hill/DeSoto area appealed to me the most, but my worry was how far away it was from the airport which is where I'll be working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas