Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 08:45 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,836,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What airport?
DFW, most likely, but it's pretty far from Love Field also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 08:49 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,963,301 times
Try north Irving, Grapevine, or Dallas. More whites but less travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
DFW, most likely, but it's pretty far from Love Field also.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:40 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,378,952 times
Quote:
Honestly, the Cedar Hill/DeSoto area appealed to me the most, but my worry was how far away it was from the airport which is where I'll be working.
For the DFW area, check out North Irving/Valley Ranch in the 75063 zip. Reasonable rents for clean safe apartment complexes, also a very ethnically mixed area. Huge Asian-Indian population. There is an increasing African-American presence, mainly young professionals not alot of thug life. Lots of shopping and restuarants and you're only 10 mins from DFW airport with little traffic issues. There are black night clubs nearby in Addison (North Dallas) and Uptown/downtown Dallas.

Both DFW and Houston are top cites for Blacks looking to relocate. I'd give Houston the advantage for the black music scene and overall social vibe. But DFW's black social network compares well.

Houston is greener and warmer year around, Dallas has cooler winters and has hilly to rolling terrain.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Try north Irving, Grapevine, or Dallas. More whites but less travel.
Lol, I hope I didn't give off the impression that a lot of whites is a problem for me because it isn't. I don't necessarily have to live with a lot of blacks, I just want to be able to find a lot of black oriented activities.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
For the DFW area, check out North Irving/Valley Ranch in the 75063 zip. Reasonable rents for clean safe apartment complexes, also a very ethnically mixed area. Huge Asian-Indian population. There is an increasing African-American presence, mainly young professionals not alot of thug life. Lots of shopping and restuarants and you're only 10 mins from DFW airport with little traffic issues. There are black night clubs nearby in Addison (North Dallas) and Uptown/downtown Dallas.

Both DFW and Houston are top cites for Blacks looking to relocate. I'd give Houston the advantage for the black music scene and overall social vibe. But DFW's black social network compares well.

Houston is greener and warmer year around, Dallas has cooler winters and has hilly to rolling terrain.
Will I be able to find apartments in the $400-$700 range in the North Irving/Valley Ranch area?

And I knew Dallas was hilly on the south side, but I was told that it's just as flat as Houston on the north side. Also, Houston's "greenness" isn't really a big deal for me, especially since Dallas is a short trip from Tyler, so I'll make that drive when I want to see green.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:48 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,378,952 times
Quote:
Will I be able to find apartments in the $400-$700 range in the North Irving/Valley Ranch area?
Valley Ranch is more in the $750-$900 range. The 75038 zip of North Irving which is between Hwy 114 and 183 will be in your desired price range. The apartment communities aren't as new but the area is still relatively safe and you're just as close to DFW airport. If you're looking in the 75038 stay towards the west side of Irving above Hwy 183. That area tends to have a more diverse ethnic variety, anything south of 183 towards South Irving is predominantly Hispanic.

Quote:
And I knew Dallas was hilly on the south side, but I was told that it's just as flat as Houston on the north side.
This is true. Hilly terrain south side to more rolling as you go through central Dallas then flattens out in the far north suburbs.

Quote:
Also, Houston's "greenness" isn't really a big deal for me, especially since Dallas is a short trip from Tyler, so I'll make that drive when I want to see green.
Yep, the lush pine belt begins about 15 miles west of Tyler and looks pretty much the same all the way through Georgia.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:15 PM

Not trying to boost my thread, but I'm still desperately looking for any info I can receive. Please note any questions you have.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:13 PM

I should also point out that I prefer newer apartments with garages available.

$400-$700 per mo. is best, but I'd find a way to deal with anything under $950 a mo.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:24 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,600,849 times
Quote:
Well, the last thing I want is any bashing. I'm hoping all posters will be mature.

And I know San Antonio is large, and it is on the come-up, but not on the scale of HOU/DAL/ATL.
Oh, just wait awhile it will. It has changed alot in only 15 to 20 years! If I were you, I stay put get some property while the getting is good because the COL is less in SA and it's beautiful. You can always get some friends and do a rode trip to these other cities and check them out.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:25 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,963,301 times
Try Addison dude.

Quote:
I should also point out that I prefer newer apartments with garages available.

$400-$700 per mo. is best, but I'd find a way to deal with anything under $950 a mo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas