Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 05:28 PM

5 posts, read 16,787 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=5]First you must learn to pronounce the city name. It is DAL-LUS, or DAL-LIS depending on if you live inside or outside LBJ Freeway.

Next, if your Mapsco is more than a few weeks old, throw it out and buy a new one. If you're in Denton County and your Mapsco is even a day old, then it is already obsolete.

Dallas has its own version of traffic rules... 'Hold on and pray.' There is no such thing as a dangerous high-speed chase in Dallas . We all drive like that.

All directions start with, 'Get on Beltline,' which has no beginning and no end. It really doesn't.

The morning rush hour is from 6 to 10. The evening rush hour is from 3 to 7. Friday's rush hour starts Thursday morning.

If you actually stop at a yellow light, you will be rear-ended, cussed out and possibly shot at. When you are the first one on the starting line, count to five when the light turns green before going to avoid crashing with all the drivers running the red light in cross-traffic.

Construction on Central Expressway, LBJ and I-35 is a way of life and a permanent form of entertainment. Just get used to it.

All unexplained sights are explained by the phrase, 'Oh, we're in Fort Worth !'

If someone actually has his or her turn signal on, it is probably a factory defect. Car horns are actually road rage indicators - and remember, it's legal to be armed in Texas.

All old ladies with blue hair in a Mercedes (or Buick, or Cadillac, or anything else) have the right of way. Period. And remember, it's legal to be armed in Texas.

Inwood Road , Plano Road, NW Highway, East Grand, Garland Road , Marsh Lane , Josey Lane , 15th Street , Preston Road all mysteriously change names as you cross intersections (these are only a FEW examples). The perfect example is what is mostly known as Plano Road . On the south end, it is known as Lake Highlands Drive; cross Northwest Highway and it becomes Plano Road; go about 8 miles and it is briefly Greenville Ave., then Ave K, then Highway 5. It ends in Sherman .

The North Dallas Tollway is our daily version of NASCAR. The minimum acceptable speed on the Dallas North Toll Road is 85 mph. Anything less is considered downright sissy. It also ends in Sherman .

If asking directions in Irving, south Garland or SE Dallas , you must have knowledge of Spanish. If in central Richardson or on Harry Hines, Mandarin Chinese will be your best bet. If you stop to ask directions on Gaston or Live Oak, you better be armed - and remember, it's legal to be armed in Texas .

The wrought iron on windows near Oak Cliff and Fair Park are not purely ornamental. A word to the wise...

A trip across town east to west will take a minimum of two hours, although many north/south freeways have unposted minimum speeds of 75.

It is possible to be driving WEST in the NORTH-bound lane of EAST Northwest Highway . Don't let this confuse you. LBJ is called 'The Death Trap' for two reasons: 'death' and 'trap.'

If it's 100 degrees, Thanksgiving must be next weekend. If it's 10 degrees and sleeting/snowing, the Fort Worth Stock Show is going on. If it has rained 6 inches in the last hour, the Byron Nelson Golf Classic is in the second round (if it's Spring) - and it is the Texas State Fair if it's Fall.

If you go to the Fair, pay the $8.00 to park inside Fair Park . Parking elsewhere could cost up to $2500 for damages, towing fees, parking tickets, etc. If some guy with a flag tries to get you to park in his yard or driveway, well, caveat emptor.

Final Warning: Don't Mess With Texas Drivers ... remember, even though our motto is The Friendly State, it's legal to be armed in Texas.
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 09:25 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,056 times
Although, parking inside Fair Park is now $10. Everything else is right on!

Old 10-21-2007, 08:19 AM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Yeah, you've got a pretty good observation of Metroplex travel. By the way, the Dallas North Tollway ought to be referred to today as the DNT. We should just initialize everything since we're getting more toll roads built around here. But, nonetheless, good observations.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:54 PM

438 posts, read 1,782,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove77 View Post
Final Warning: Don't Mess With Texas Drivers ... remember, even though our motto is The Friendly State, it's legal to be armed in Texas.
"armed" and "friendly" aren't mutually exclusive terms.

fratermus,
armed and friendly. Heck, I even use my blinkers and let folks merge.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:48 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,235,972 times
Every word sounds true to me! That's why I try to stay out here on the rural route as much as possible.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:02 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,797,799 times
Default Great tips... here are some more!

Know that all freeways have at least two names... i.e., here are some that still can confuse me:

LBJ = I635
Central Expressway = US75
John Carpenter Freeway = 114
Airport Freeway = 183
Northwest Highway = Loop 12
George Bush Tollway = 190 or 161 depending on where you are,

and, so it goes!

Also, you must learn your compass directions... North, South, East and West... to get anywhere! If all else fails, remember... the sun rises in the East and sets in the West... more than once have I had to navigate based on the time of day and where the sun was at that time of the day... absolutely thinking I was going the other direction... but actually going 10 miles or more in the wrong direction! If it's nighttime... sorry, you may end up in Ft. Worth or Louisiana!

Another BIG point! When there are two turn lanes at an intersection, and the sign says the inside lane MUST turn left... does not mean that person in the inside lane WILL turn left (many people seem to take this as only a suggestion I guess!). Again, just like when a light turns green... WAIT 5-10 seconds if you are in the middle turn lane to see if the person in the inside turn lane will actually decide to turn left or go straight ahead! This has happened to me more times than I'd like to count that they go straight ahead!

The rest of the tips are right-on! Especially Beltline... begins and ends in every suburb of Dallas... changes names... changes back... changes again... ughh!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-21-2007 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: Thanks Ipepping :)

Old 10-21-2007, 04:05 PM

937 posts, read 2,905,969 times
Central Expressway = US75

Old 10-22-2007, 07:39 AM

409 posts, read 1,044,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove77 View Post
If someone actually has his or her turn signal on, it is probably a factory defect.

Thats so true! What's with that. You know here up North in Baltimore we actually use our indicators. I was back in Dallas in March on the Beltways and was shocked to see how many people just "get over" in front of you with no warning!

Old 10-22-2007, 10:15 AM

875 posts, read 1,092,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taroberts View Post
Thats so true! What's with that. You know here up North in Baltimore we actually use our indicators. I was back in Dallas in March on the Beltways and was shocked to see how many people just "get over" in front of you with no warning!
As a transplant from CA to Plano, I always use my turn signals, and let people into traffic in front of me. Usually, whoever is behind me honks because I stop and give the person enough room to get in front of me. I've begun yelling at the person behind me, "thank you for being so considerate" and smiling at them.

Also, NO ONE here stops for sirens! One day I could hear and see a fire truck coming up behind me. I was the first one in line at a signal in the right lane when it happened, so I just stayed where I was when the signal turned green.

The idiot behind me kept honking over and over, then started yelling at me. Unfortunately, this is VERY typical for my area. And, there are a LOT of emergency vehicles either hit by cars going through a signal, or ambulances take forever to get to their destination, because of getting hung up in traffic by RUDE, INCONSIDERATE drivers!

Old 10-22-2007, 10:20 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Dallas has its own version of traffic rules... 'Hold on and pray.' There is no such thing as a dangerous high-speed chase in Dallas . We all drive like that.

Very true. Dallas folks are some of the friendliest I have ever met, but put them behind a steering wheel and they morph into glue-sniffing Kamikazees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas