Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 09:23 PM

164 posts, read 793,495 times

Advertisements

Central Appraisal District of Collin County I am using this web site as a reference to verify info on realtor dot com. How accurate do you guys feel this web site is? It lists market value as well as tax value. I am noticing most houses for sale are pretty close. I still find some houses listed for over 50k above the l;isted market value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 07:39 AM

415 posts, read 1,721,198 times
Well, those are the values used to calculate the homeowners' tax liabilities, so they're accurate in the sense that that amount is what shows up on the bill. However, you can contest the value, which many do.

My brother (although he lives in Denton County) was assessed much more than what he could sell his house for (my realtor did some comps for him), so he disputed. They came down, but it was probably still more than he would have gotten for his house.

We bought our house in July, for $227k. The appraisal came in at $230k. I just got our tax bill for $228k valuation. Not a ton of variation there...

Old 10-22-2007, 12:13 PM

875 posts, read 1,098,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeLaura View Post
Well, those are the values used to calculate the homeowners' tax liabilities, so they're accurate in the sense that that amount is what shows up on the bill. However, you can contest the value, which many do.

My brother (although he lives in Denton County) was assessed much more than what he could sell his house for (my realtor did some comps for him), so he disputed. They came down, but it was probably still more than he would have gotten for his house.

We bought our house in July, for $227k. The appraisal came in at $230k. I just got our tax bill for $228k valuation. Not a ton of variation there...
As a newbie to Texas, I'm wondering why the assessed value isn't the same as the purchase price? What's up with that??

Old 10-22-2007, 12:30 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,971,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
As a newbie to Texas, I'm wondering why the assessed value isn't the same as the purchase price? What's up with that??
Cause we go fight our taxes every year so we don't have to pay extremely high taxes.

I go every year and fight mine and always get them lowered. I don't care how low they are on the taxes as I'm not in the market to sell. Now we did get hit w/ a high tax bill the first year we bought as they jumped it up at the county for our purchase price . Had to bite the bullet on that one but got it down the next year. Two years ago we had a real estate appraisal done and got it lowered again.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:09 PM

5,642 posts, read 25,006,263 times
Quote:
The tax appraisers will tell you that a sale is a one time transaction and the price may not be a reflection of fair market value. Their appraisal will always be the basis for taxes and it may not be the same as the last sale.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Well, I haven't had a chance to argue it yet, for one. We just bought the house and just got the bill (or statement, or whatever it is). The preliminary value was decided some time ago, because it's the exact amount that was online when we looked at the house this summer.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:24 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,971,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeLaura View Post
Well, I haven't had a chance to argue it yet, for one. We just bought the house and just got the bill (or statement, or whatever it is). The preliminary value was decided some time ago, because it's the exact amount that was online when we looked at the house this summer.
It should be your bill that you recently received. The first appraisals are sent out around April and that is when you must file a protest. You can do an informal hearing which is what I HIGHLY RECOMMEND and if that does not go as you wished you can keep going back for an informal until your hearing before the ARB board. You have to file by a certain date to protest so get that in ASAP. You want to avoid the ARB as much as possible, trust me . Much better luck w/ the informal hearings. The end of May is typically the last day to make a informal protest. So yes, it is too late to protest now and the amounts you saw online in summer were the final numbers for 2007.

Now that you have your bill you can write the check anytime by December 31st of this year to take it off of your 2007 income taxes and then mail it by the due date (which is sometime in January).

Old 10-24-2007, 01:30 PM

Eh, it only comes out $43 more. We escrowed, so hopefully the lender will send the check on time...

My thinking was that the first bill was the best one to protest on, since it was closest to the sales. However, if they take the appraisal, I'll just keep my mouth shut, since it was even higher.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:05 PM

93 posts, read 466,659 times
Also certain counties (such as Dallas) also rate the condition of the home (Excellent, Very Good, Good, Average, Poor). You could dispute that the house is NOT in Excellent condition and attempt ot get it downgraded a level or two for lower taxes.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:07 PM

87 posts, read 374,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Now that you have your bill you can write the check anytime by December 31st of this year to take it off of your 2007 income taxes and then mail it by the due date (which is sometime in January).
mom,

So you're saying I should mail my tax payment in by 12/31/07, or by 1/31/08 to write it off of my 2007 income taxes? Your statement confused me a lil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: