Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 6,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Foundation work is NOT anywhere near around $1000 a pier. There are many different kinds of piers, and on average, they range from $250-400 a pier, most around the $300 mark. From my 9 years in real estate, the most any client has ever paid in foundation work, including the pre and post slab leak tests and the engineer's reports for before and after the work, it was $10,500. Most are around $2500-4000. You are NOT looking at tens of thousands of dollars unless your house is a complete shambles and the entire thing needs piers inside and outside.
yeah i have only heard about work usually costing 6-12000. however, i'm wondering how effective the work is? does it usually correct the foundation problems? do houses with foundation work usually require more work later or does the initial corrections usually do the trick? the reason why i ask is because i found two really nice houses in great neighborhoods that i'm interested in buying because they are being offered at lower prices due to foundation problems. one of the houses just had work completed, the other has not had anything done to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 01:05 PM

3,075 posts, read 8,421,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyrutledge View Post
yeah i have only heard about work usually costing 6-12000. however, i'm wondering how effective the work is? does it usually correct the foundation problems? do houses with foundation work usually require more work later or does the initial corrections usually do the trick? the reason why i ask is because i found two really nice houses in great neighborhoods that i'm interested in buying because they are being offered at lower prices due to foundation problems. one of the houses just had work completed, the other has not had anything done to it.
If the work is properly engineered, performed and maintained after that then normally there is no problems, barring any significant acts of nature.

Are you buying as an investment? Are these slab or pier & beam?

Old 08-24-2009, 06:20 AM

192 posts, read 595,158 times
Just make sure that if you do get your work done, to keep a soaker hose around your foundation, and try to water daily during the very dry summer months.

That way when the floods come in May or June, your foundation won't just give up the ghost and CRACK in half again.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:06 AM

3 posts, read 8,178 times
Stone foundations are not used very much in the construction of homes or buildings today. However, there are several old homes and buildings were these structures still existent. When a stone foundation cracks the average homeowner or complete - undeniable - yourselfer, cannot hatch the imperative repairs on his or her own. For this instigation undeniable will mean imperative to hire professionals to accomplish the required repairs. Stone repair dallas crack for several reasons, tuck away drench damage being the most prominent create. Cracks caused by drench leakage in stone walls, which are mortared trust substitute feeble identified by a single thin crack located in a particular area of the wall

Last edited by FarNorthDallas; 02-15-2010 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: misspelled words

Old 02-15-2010, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 5,746 times
Default Hi..

I live in West Plano, just west of the Dallas Tollroad and east of 121. A few of the homes in my neighborhood has had foundation repairs; however Grand homes has been battling with a few to pay... How severe does the cracks have to be in order for hte warranty to kick in? We have cracks but this area is known to have sever foundation problems... i prefer to take care of it now rather than wait for it to be a danger to our health/life. ANy suggestions on how the warranty is triggered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
We're in the midst of a foundation warranty situation with our builder. There's two different companies (with two different repair methods - tunneling and traditional pier) bidding on the job. While the homebuilder (Ryland) will be footing the bill, it does present us with decisions regarding the type of repair and the warranty that each company offers.

To be specific, the traditional pier (Company A) would offer a 20/yr warranty and would require that we move out of our home for a short period (2-3 weeks). An inconvenience, but a per diem would be supplied. The added benefit to this option is that the kitchen tile would have to be replaced (and possibly the master bath tile), which we were having trouble with anyway.

Company B is using a method they refer to as "tunneling", and does not require us to relocate. It will be a mess, and we wouldn't get the possible replacements of tile because they don't go through the floor, but the lifetime transferable warranty is sounding pretty sweet, especially considering the long term growth potential of the Little Elm area.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:09 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,818,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thambers View Post
I live in West Plano, just west of the Dallas Tollroad and east of 121. A few of the homes in my neighborhood has had foundation repairs; however Grand homes has been battling with a few to pay... How severe does the cracks have to be in order for hte warranty to kick in? We have cracks but this area is known to have sever foundation problems... i prefer to take care of it now rather than wait for it to be a danger to our health/life. ANy suggestions on how the warranty is triggered?
Are you in Kings Ridge with all the Grand foundation issues? Yikes!

For the most part, you need to read the tiny tiny fine print in your warranty packet. You need to show an issue that shows the foundation is failing and "not performing as intended". Many won't do anything until it's a fire hazard. If you can't open a door to the exterior or get out of a hallway because a door won't open, that's a fire hazzard.

Get an engineer's report and poossibly an attorney. If you bought the house has a resale or a foreclosure in that neighborhood, good luck! Those are harder to get covered...

Old 02-19-2010, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 5,725 times
My home in northern Cal also has foundation issue. It was built on top of landfill. There was a geotech report done on it 13 years ago. The soil drilling was done, and the report said that it did not reach bed rock, and had to stop at 33 ft, since that was the limit of their drilling equipment.
Anyone has a recommendation or ever heard of such landfill depth?
The house is one level, has a ~4ft deep foundation, and ~ 1500 sq ft dwelling.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:13 PM

2 posts, read 9,795 times
Found a map of texas soil...now you know for foundation repairs are so frequent. I had mine done 10 yrs back...here is the map http://www.premierfoundationrepair.c...airsoilmap.png

Old 09-21-2010, 08:31 PM

3,075 posts, read 8,421,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfwhomeowner View Post
Found a map of texas soil...now you know for foundation repairs are so frequent. I had mine done 10 yrs back...here is the map http://www.premierfoundationrepair.c...airsoilmap.png
Nice map! Thank you for sharing. I'll pass it around for others to use.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:47 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,755,981 times
Cool map. It pretty much mirrors the landmass of the USA during the Cretaceous period, where the areas shown with high swelling potential soil were covered by a shallow ocean. Limestone bedrock developed during this era and eventually weathered into clay -> expansive soil.
The limestone bedrock, which is not very deep under the clay, is an excellent, stable substrate. It's a pity that homebuilders in DFW don't just drill down a few feet to reach rock and pour a slab over piers and void boxes in between... That way houses here would have a rock solid foundation! Apparently one has to go expensive custom to get a good foundation?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas