Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 01:51 AM

990 posts, read 2,303,765 times

Advertisements

If you want to know more, you should join the Dallasmetropolis.com forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 10:19 AM

6,824 posts, read 14,036,923 times
If the city spent $5mm for a bridge to Joppy it is safe to safe to say they have lost it. The entire Joppy neighborhood is worth that much. It has historical value but it is truly a place time has past by. It's as close to a shanty town as I have ever seen in my lifetime (excluding tent city that was once located near downtown).

Old 03-15-2013, 10:54 AM

307 posts, read 532,051 times
Joppa, pronounced as Joppy by most who know of the area, is actually tagged for revitalization if the Trinity River project became a realization. My grandmother lived there in the early 60's. It is in the Wilmer-Hutchins School District. In the 60's there was a terrible smelling dump behind the neighborhood and it reeked all the time. Before the bridge you could wait forever waiting for Southern Pacific to clear the track allowing you out of or into the area. Many of the teens would work as caddies at the nearby golf course. As the young people grew up they left and they are a lot of elderly there now. So, not as scary as it looks. But if the city ever gets that Trinity project full scale, they plan on rebuilding in the area. You know we have to have visitors see nice brick homes as they sail down the Trinity.

Last edited by Ablebodied; 03-15-2013 at 12:22 PM..

Old 03-15-2013, 10:58 AM

743 posts, read 1,321,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablebodied View Post
Joppa, pronounced as Joppy by most who know of the area, is actually tagged for revitalization if the Trinity River project became a realization. My grandmother lived there in the early 60's. It is in the Wilmer-Hutchins School District. In the 60's there was a terrible smelling dump behind the neighborhood and it reeked all the time. Before the bridge you could wait forever waiting for Union Pacific to clear the track allowing you out of or into the area. Many of the teens would work as caddies at the nearby golf course. As the young people grew up they left and they are a lot of elderly there now. So, not as scary as it looks. But if the city ever gets that Trinity project full scale, they plan on rebuilding in the area. You know we have to have visitors see nice brick homes as they sail down the Trinity.
FWIW Wilmer-Hutchins was absorbed by DISD years ago. Joppa is currently zoned to SOC.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:09 AM

Wilmer-Hutchins is yet still named Wilmer-Hutchins after protests against DISD, which started busing the students to various schools in Dallas. Today, though in the DISD, hose from the area of the former WHISD will probably forever see it as a separate entity from Dallas. It is difficult to see it as part of DISD, though like you said, it indeed is. The Wilmer-Hutchins district was made up of certain close knit communities in far southern Dallas as well as Wilmer and Hutchins and a small part of Lancaster.

Last edited by Ablebodied; 03-15-2013 at 11:34 AM..

Old 03-15-2013, 01:10 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
Blackspider - Thanks for writing about Joppa. I find these neighborhoods/areas fascinating and how they can disappear so quickly.
I had posted about Little Egypt a while back, but didn't get much response. Little Egypt From what I understand the original sharecroppers from the area around Northwest Hwy were relocated to the area behind Townview High School off 8th St. There is an elderly black man who travels from (new) Little Egypt to White Rock Lake near the spillway. He wears a suit and a cowboy hat, even on the hottest days, and travels by bus to sit at a bench along the lake where his family spend their youth. I don't see him as much as I used to, but I imagine he has a great deal of history to tell.

Equally, I used to enjoy walking and driving around State Thomas before the gentrification. Another neighborhood full of culture lost.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:26 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
Blackspider - Thanks for writing about Joppa. I find these neighborhoods/areas fascinating and how they can disappear so quickly.
I had posted about Little Egypt a while back, but didn't get much response. Little Egypt From what I understand the original sharecroppers from the area around Northwest Hwy were relocated to the area behind Townview High School off 8th St. There is an elderly black man who travels from (new) Little Egypt to White Rock Lake near the spillway. He wears a suit and a cowboy hat, even on the hottest days, and travels by bus to sit at a bench along the lake where his family spend their youth. I don't see him as much as I used to, but I imagine he has a great deal of history to tell.

Equally, I used to enjoy walking and driving around State Thomas before the gentrification. Another neighborhood full of culture lost.
I've seen him at White Rock! Funny how certain people stand out.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:38 AM

122 posts, read 349,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablebodied View Post
Joppa, pronounced as Joppy by most who know of the area, is actually tagged for revitalization if the Trinity River project became a realization. My grandmother lived there in the early 60's. It is in the Wilmer-Hutchins School District. In the 60's there was a terrible smelling dump behind the neighborhood and it reeked all the time. Before the bridge you could wait forever waiting for Southern Pacific to clear the track allowing you out of or into the area. Many of the teens would work as caddies at the nearby golf course. As the young people grew up they left and they are a lot of elderly there now. So, not as scary as it looks. But if the city ever gets that Trinity project full scale, they plan on rebuilding in the area. You know we have to have visitors see nice brick homes as they sail down the Trinity.
Thanks for the info!

Yeah it would suck if your house was burning down or someone needed immediate assistance and they could not due to a train coming through and no one able to get in or out.

My drive through there, I saw mostly middle aged people out there. 40s or so. But that was just what I was able to see from whomever was outside at the time.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:21 AM

Now maybe others can understand why so much money was spent to install this bridge. On the other end you can also get out of the area through a back route leading onto loop 12 Ledbetter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas