Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 15,265 times

Advertisements

I need some assistance. My family is moving from Abilene to the Dallas and Mesquite area. My husband will be working out of Mesquite and I will be working out of Dallas. Is there a city that anyone could recommend that has an okay commute for the two cities and also has a good school system for our son? I would also like input on areas in this location that would also be good to look in for a house. We would like a house that has a large yard and other young families there also. I really appreciate your help with this matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 03:46 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Garland. Depending on where in Garland and where in Mesquite & Dallas you are headed it could be a really short commute.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:49 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,694 times
If you don't I would reccomend renting for a while until you can familiar and find an area you like, and then look into buying. However it would hardly seem fair to get your kid settled in one school and uproot him again.

How much are you looking to spend on a home? Do you want an older home, or something new?

Old 10-31-2007, 06:12 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Since Mesquite and Dallas share a border on Dallas' east side, they aren't very far apart. ;-)

Mesquite itself has good schools in some areas. If you move into an area that feeds into Poteet High School, that is a good area.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:02 PM

2 posts, read 15,265 times
We are looking in the 200 to 250,000 dollar range for a house. Either old or new just depends on the shape the house is in and if there are kids in the neighborhood for our son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
If you don't I would reccomend renting for a while until you can familiar and find an area you like, and then look into buying. However it would hardly seem fair to get your kid settled in one school and uproot him again.

How much are you looking to spend on a home? Do you want an older home, or something new?

Old 10-31-2007, 11:28 PM

5 posts, read 24,091 times
It really depends on how much you are wanting to spend. You might want to consider Rockwall if you want a newer area and good schools. Some areas of Mesquite are not bad and also some areas of east Dallas. But Dallas proper is very expensive. It's not a bad idea to rent and get familiar with the area or consult a realtor.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:30 AM

You won't find many houses in that price range in Mesquite or South Garland. I'd recommend looking in Sunnyvale, which is just East of Mesquite.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:03 AM

23 posts, read 131,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbyates1 View Post
I need some assistance. My family is moving from Abilene to the Dallas and Mesquite area. My husband will be working out of Mesquite and I will be working out of Dallas. Is there a city that anyone could recommend that has an okay commute for the two cities and also has a good school system for our son? I would also like input on areas in this location that would also be good to look in for a house. We would like a house that has a large yard and other young families there also. I really appreciate your help with this matter.
You may want to check out Forney/Crandall/Heartland...?

Old 03-27-2008, 11:38 AM

6,800 posts, read 14,018,392 times
There are homes in Mesquite in that price range but they pretty much confined to a couple of subdivisions. They will be located in the north east corner of Mesquite and they feed into Mesquite Horn High school. I would suggest you take a look at the Rockwall area. Your husband could cut thru Sunnyvale to avoid the traffic on 30. Most of the people in Mesquite who want a larger home move to Rockwall. Sunnyvale would be great but I am not sure if they have any homes in that price range and if they do it would be a older home which means there would not be very many kids your child could converse with.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:45 PM

My friends who live in Mesquite tell me that Horne High School is already pretty rough.

Rockwall is a great idea, as is Sunnyvale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas