Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 08:25 AM

299 posts, read 1,153,362 times

Advertisements

I do appreciate all of your replies and PM's.

Could someone tell me which cities in ND area don't have to deal with the DART? Also, my son in CA wants me to move to Irving.... Dallas Cowboys don't ya know. I researched it to a small degree and seems they have a HIGH CRIME RATE. I know every city/town/neighborhood has crime but could someone tell me how Irving is in your opinion(s)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 08:45 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,046 times
Don't have to deal with DART?

Cowboy stadium is in Arlington now, and they don't have DART or any public transportation there.

Irving's crime rate has been dropping for the last few years. In the 90's a lot of inner ring suburbs experienced decline. South Irving has been rebounding from this slump for a while now, but Valley Ranch and Las Colinas(northern Irving) have always been nice safe areas.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:41 PM

Default Moving from the Philippines to Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Don't have to deal with DART?

Cowboy stadium is in Arlington now, and they don't have DART or any public transportation there.

Irving's crime rate has been dropping for the last few years. In the 90's a lot of inner ring suburbs experienced decline. South Irving has been rebounding from this slump for a while now, but Valley Ranch and Las Colinas(northern Irving) have always been nice safe areas.
Thank you and that is good news. Several have mentioned Las Colinas and I believe also Valley Ranch. I'm really trying to research as much as possible on-line all of the cities in N. Dallas and also Fort Worth. One great guy DM'd me about "Why not Houston" with a lot of good info.

If you live in Plano you do have to take DART, right or wrong?

Again, thank you for your reply.

jOE

Old 06-15-2013, 05:01 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsret View Post
Thank you and that is good news. Several have mentioned Las Colinas and I believe also Valley Ranch. I'm really trying to research as much as possible on-line all of the cities in N. Dallas and also Fort Worth. One great guy DM'd me about "Why not Houston" with a lot of good info.

If you live in Plano you do have to take DART, right or wrong?

Again, thank you for your reply.

jOE
No, no one is forced to take DART

Sorry that sounds funny, but I guess I need to remember your in the Phillipines

The number of people taking DART as opposed to driving is still pretty low. Public transportation gets minimal funding here, and most people only use it if it's convenient and live very close to a station. For most people it's not, therefore almost everyone owns a car in Dallas (and surrounding suburbs).

Las Colinas and Valley Ranch are great areas of Irving. They are central to a lot of job centers, and again they're also very safe places to live. That's why they keep getting suggested.

Fort Worth might work, but you need to live centrally because of commute. Fort Worth isn't as big of a job center as Dallas. I wouldn't move to Fort Worth with out knowing where your family will be working.

I don't know what those people DM'd you. On a public forum it's better to post on the forum, to help other people in the future, who may be in a similar situation. With that said, Houston is a good place to live, and shares a lot of similarities with DFW.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
No, no one is forced to take DART

Sorry that sounds funny, but I guess I need to remember your in the Phillipines

The number of people taking DART as opposed to driving is still pretty low. Public transportation gets minimal funding here, and most people only use it if it's convenient and live very close to a station. For most people it's not, therefore almost everyone owns a car in Dallas (and surrounding suburbs).

Las Colinas and Valley Ranch are great areas of Irving. They are central to a lot of job centers, and again they're also very safe places to live. That's why they keep getting suggested.

Fort Worth might work, but you need to live centrally because of commute. Fort Worth isn't as big of a job center as Dallas. I wouldn't move to Fort Worth with out knowing where your family will be working.

I don't know what those people DM'd you. On a public forum it's better to post on the forum, to help other people in the future, who may be in a similar situation. With that said, Houston is a good place to live, and shares a lot of similarities with DFW.
RonnieinDallas, I blew it, didn't mean to say "DART", what I meant was Toll roads. What I was wondering is how many toll roads there are while commuting from the cities in N. Dallas to down town Dallas and how much do they charge. I ask so I can "guestimate" a budget for that.

I will be going back over my info regarding Irving and especially Las Colinas and Valley Ranch areas. After we move from the PI to Dallas I'm sure we will be checking out Forth Worth and even Houston during that 1st year of renting but I sorta get the feeling that we will end up settling down in N. Dallas. The question will be which city. Certainly appreciate your info.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:55 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,042 times
Being ex-active military you may already know this, Fort Worth has a Naval Air Station on the westside of town. There's a number of military retirees who have settled nearby for the amenities. Navy Federal CU also has a branch in that area.

Last edited by First24; 06-16-2013 at 07:08 AM..

Old 06-16-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
Being ex-active military you may already know this, Fort Worth has a Naval Air Station on the westside of town. There's a number of military retirees who have settled nearby for the amenities. Navy Federal CU also has a branch in that area.
Scout, I knew there was a NAS or some Joint Services Base there, but will check it out further. Assuming you live in that area.... how do you like it? Do you believe the budgets items I posted above are doable or am I just dreaming?

Appreciate your reply.

jOE
Angeles City
Pampanga, Philippines

Old 06-16-2013, 07:32 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsret View Post
Scout, I knew there was a NAS or some Joint Services Base there, but will check it out further. Assuming you live in that area.... how do you like it? Do you believe the budgets items I posted above are doable or am I just dreaming?

Appreciate your reply.

jOE
Angeles City
Pampanga, Philippines
Fort Worth would be doable on your budget. A few areas to look into are north and west of the city; Lake Worth, Saginaw, Wautaga, Azle and Keller.

I currently live in Las Colinas. Spent much of my early life in west Fort Worth though. My Dad was at Carswell AFB, then retired before it was transitioned into a NAS/JRB.

The advice given to rent for 6 months while getting to know the area is the best. The DFW Metroplex is huge and you may be surprised how different the Fort Worth side is from Dallas.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
Fort Worth would be doable on your budget. A few areas to look into are north and west of the city; Lake Worth, Saginaw, Wautaga, Azle and Keller.

I currently live in Las Colinas. Spent much of my early life in west Fort Worth though. My Dad was at Carswell AFB, then retired before it was transitioned into a NAS/JRB.

The advice given to rent for 6 months while getting to know the area is the best. The DFW Metroplex is huge and you may be surprised how different the Fort Worth side is from Dallas.
Scout,

Certainly will take your advice and check out those cities. I/we do intend to rent for at least 6 months, most likely a year before buying. Market will most likely go up but I should have a better feeling for what area we are best suited for. I will be almost 70 y/o and want this move to be my last.

Would be great if it were possible to visit before making the big move, but, doubt if that will happen.

Last edited by macsret; 06-17-2013 at 04:33 AM..

Old 06-20-2013, 09:29 AM

Want to thank everyone for their post/input and/or their DM's, lots of good info. I realize that I'm not that good on forums and terrible with my grammar so that turns off those that are indeed I.

Well, I do have another questions and this one is about furniture. Hopefully some of you have already made a long distance shipment or better yet a shipment from a foreign country. We have 3 br, a man cave/office furn, small formal living room 6 pcs, naturally lots of kitchen utensils, a large dinning room table but only 6 seats, a china cabinet and just 'STUFF'. The wood furniture is all maple and hand made. What would your opinions regarding shipping, Yes or No? Cost to replace, fully understanding that I haven't provided pictures or even a 'real good description'. I had a guestimation made on a 20' container and it was approx. $11k from the Philippines to Long Beach, plus the cost of moving it from there to Ventura County. Hopefully more will chime in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas