Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 10:14 AM

8 posts, read 49,530 times

Advertisements

My family is getting ready to move to dallas. We have never been there, my husband will be working right in the middle of Dallas and I'm not sure where we should be looking for houses. We want out of the city and possibly on an acre or more would be nice. Looking for a slow paced country feel where my kids can ride the 4-wheelers and dirt bikes but also don't know how far too far of a commute is going to be or how bad traffic is. SO any help would be really appreciated.
thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 10:54 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,470,206 times
Go south or east instead of North. Most of the new growth and suburbs are north, so traffic is worse heading into downtown Dallas from the north and property is more expensive.

Try Midlothian, Red Oak, Kaufman, Forney, Waxahachie, Ennis - the schools are okay but aren't as academically competitive as the schools in the northern half of the Dallas area, but to find a country feel up north will be a lot harder and cost a lot more money. Plus the houses are really close together. I'm talking Frisco, McKinney, Allen, Plano, Grapevine, Coppell - when I say north of Dallas.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:06 AM

thank you for your help! We definatly don't want to be in a subdivision where you can reach out the window and touch your neighbors house. How bad is the commute from downtown Dallas to Fort Worth? crazy? I found a nice log home on quite a few acres over there but its an hour drive and thats not considering traffic....probably not worth it??

Old 09-12-2010, 12:08 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,693,073 times
Do you care about the school district? Some are very good, some not so much. Most of the better school districts are in the touch your neighbors' homes communities in the north. What is your price range? You may like Forney or Rockwall

Old 09-12-2010, 12:54 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,749,981 times
Some people believe it's more important for their kids to be able to run and play on four wheelers than to get classroom learning. And the areas suggested by FND would fit that.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:41 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
What is your budget? And what are your expectations for schools?

Without knowing those answers, I'd recommend Rockwall and Sunnyvale to the east of Dallas, parts of Cedar Hill near Joe Pool Lake, parts of Southern Arlington by I-20. These would all have the possibility of a large lot and a commute under 45 minutes (most days).

Fort Worth is a tough commute because you are driving straight into the sun both ways (east in the am, west in the pm). It would be around an hour to up to 90 minutes, depending on what side of downtown FW the house is.

Some of the areas recommended to you by myself and pp's have good schools, some have abomidable schools (including most of FWISD). I mean, horrible, horrible public schools with distractions of drugs, out of control kids, and metal detectors/police on campus. If you do have kids and intend to put them in public schools, you really do need to do your homework so you're not surprised.

There is also the option of kids going to private school in Dallas; mom or dad could drop them off on the way to work. First Baptist Academy is Downtown, Bishop Lynch Catholic HS and some catholic elementaries are on the drive in from the eastern suburbs.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laneaosborne View Post
My family is getting ready to move to dallas. We have never been there, my husband will be working right in the middle of Dallas and I'm not sure where we should be looking for houses. We want out of the city and possibly on an acre or more would be nice. Looking for a slow paced country feel where my kids can ride the 4-wheelers and dirt bikes but also don't know how far too far of a commute is going to be or how bad traffic is. SO any help would be really appreciated.
thanks so much!!
Also, where in the "middle" of Dallas is his job- actually in downtown Dallas? Or did you look at a map and just describe the location as the middle?

If his job is further north or northwest of downtown that would open up more housing opportunities with better schools.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:19 PM

Wow, some of the schools are really that bad? I will definatly be checking into them! Thanks everyone for the input, keep it coming. When I say Middle of Dallas I'm talking about love field. I found a couple of houses with acerage around Melissa would that be a bad commute?? or what are everyones thoughts on that??

Old 09-12-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laneaosborne View Post
Wow, some of the schools are really that bad? I will definatly be checking into them! Thanks everyone for the input, keep it coming. When I say Middle of Dallas I'm talking about love field. I found a couple of houses with acerage around Melissa would that be a bad commute?? or what are everyones thoughts on that??
Depends on your criteria for a "bad" commute. That drive would take around an hour with NO traffic (so, never during rush hour and "maybe" if your hubbu works odd hours)....in rush hour, probably closer to 80-90 minutes, up to 2 hours if there is a bad wreck on 75/Central.

If you have a big enough budget, you could look at northwest suburbs of Flower Mound (new construction has a 1 acre min lot size now), Colleyville, or Southlake. All have excellent schools and around a 40-60 minute commute to Love Field. But you'll need $$$.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:34 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
Cedar Hill or Duncanville? Both have small hill country, preserves, and a state park. The Colony is near a lake. Try those 3 cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas