Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 05:43 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,558,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas is only OK View Post
I have to get on my soap box about Berkner for a moment. Many people in my neighborhood have sent their kids to Richardson and Pearce. I really don't understand why. The teachers at Berkner are fantastic. My BFF's kid is at Pearce and both our daughters take AP classes. They are both straight A or AB students, yet my daughter passed her college-credit exam, and hers did not. That is just one example. The pie chart of race is more equally divided at Berkner. The band is beyond anyone else in the entire metro area except a school in Flower Mound (we got 1st in region, 8th in state, and regularly go to national competitions), and most of the sports are very competitive (Boys basketball was 3 or 4 in state last year). I truly don't know what makes people think that Richardson or Pearce is better, but I am sure I am missing something because that is what everyone thinks.
Berkner is my alma mater...go RAMS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 12:03 PM

161 posts, read 260,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi cake View Post
You should explore 75082, nicer homes and Plano schools. Its a great area and being at the lower end of the neighborhood, you'll have great resale.

75082 Real Estate - Richardson, TX 75082 Homes for Sale - realtor.com®
Is there a particular reason this area (75082) is a lower sq ft value compared to those zoned with the same zip code in RISD? schools, taxable value, city services, crime rate, etc?

Old 07-12-2013, 12:38 PM

477 posts, read 1,052,285 times
I live in 75081 in Highland Terrace, which is the neighborhood that is bordered by Beltline/Main on the North, Abrams on the West, Grove on the East, and Centennial on the South.

We bought in December and couldn't be happier with the neighborhood. Large trees, large lots, friendly neighbors. I see people out walking their dogs, jogging, sitting on their front porches every single day. Everyone we have met has been super nice. Most of the homes in this area are Pier and Beam, which is what we wanted. On the other side of Bowser, which is College Park I think, the homes are mostly slab as they look to have been built in the 70's and 80's.

Most of the people on our street are caucasian and older. By older I mean 50's and 60's. Although there are some young families moving in. Closer to Abrams there are some more ethnic people, but they are very friendly as well. Richardson, especially 75081 is diverse, and that's what we like about it.

I can't comment on the school situation other than to say my cousins grew up off Spring Valley near Plano Rd. One has a Phd in Biology and the other is an engineer for Nasa. They didn't go to Pierce and are doing just fine.

As for amenities like shopping, I go to the Kroger on Centennial or the Target on Plano for my grocery needs. The Lowe's is right there on Plano as well for when I need home improvement stuff. Our favorite sushi place, Zuki, is on Plano Rd and Arapaho. Our favorite Greek restaurant, Afrah, is just a few blocks away as well. We don't find ourselves West of 75 too much and when we do it's usually b/c we're heading to Addison.

As for those train tracks. I was wondering if they were even still used b/c I have yet to hear a train on them. Maybe they only run M-F from 9-5 while I'm at work b/c I've never heard one, much less seen one and I'm not that far away. Just on the other side of Grove.

Your budget is higher than ours was, so sure give 75080 and 75082 a look. Just don't rule out 75081 b/c it's considered undesirable. The people who say that are wrong imo. We love our neighborhood and are extremely happy here.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:53 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globe9 View Post
I live in 75081 in Highland Terrace, which is the neighborhood that is bordered by Beltline/Main on the North, Abrams on the West, Grove on the East, and Centennial on the South.

We bought in December and couldn't be happier with the neighborhood. Large trees, large lots, friendly neighbors. I see people out walking their dogs, jogging, sitting on their front porches every single day. Everyone we have met has been super nice. Most of the homes in this area are Pier and Beam, which is what we wanted. On the other side of Bowser, which is College Park I think, the homes are mostly slab as they look to have been built in the 70's and 80's.
A dear friend of mine lives in Highland Terrace. Love that neighborhood.

Quote:
Most of the people on our street are caucasian and older. By older I mean 50's and 60's. Although there are some young families moving in. Closer to Abrams there are some more ethnic people, but they are very friendly as well. Richardson, especially 75081 is diverse, and that's what we like about it.

As evidenced by the Kroger on Audelia and Centennial.

Quote:
I can't comment on the school situation other than to say my cousins grew up off Spring Valley near Plano Rd. One has a Phd in Biology and the other is an engineer for Nasa. They didn't go to Pierce and are doing just fine.

As for amenities like shopping, I go to the Kroger on Centennial or the Target on Plano for my grocery needs. The Lowe's is right there on Plano as well for when I need home improvement stuff. Our favorite sushi place, Zuki, is on Plano Rd and Arapaho. Our favorite Greek restaurant, Afrah, is just a few blocks away as well. We don't find ourselves West of 75 too much and when we do it's usually b/c we're heading to Addison.
I go to east Richardson specifically to shop at that Target, since it's the same distance from me as the one at Coit & Campbell but the Richardson Target has lower prices (no, seriously...check the grocery items) and I like my tax money to go to my own city.

Quote:
As for those train tracks. I was wondering if they were even still used b/c I have yet to hear a train on them. Maybe they only run M-F from 9-5 while I'm at work b/c I've never heard one, much less seen one and I'm not that far away. Just on the other side of Grove.
I know the ones you're talking about; I have never seen a train on them but that doesn't mean they don't get used. Maybe trains only come in the middle of the night? I can hear DART trains from my back patio a block west of Floyd, but I never hear freight trains.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:02 PM

88 posts, read 202,051 times
Thank you for all that info!! Very helpful. What I am looking for is an area that is not so much like Plano with the keeping up with the Jones' mentality, with diversity, the mature trees, more of a community feel where neighbors are actually, well neighbors and there's a feeling of community. A safe area, an area that's accepting of all types of individuals/personalities, family friendly and decent schools. It seems like most of Richardson fits this? Is there an area in 75081 that should be avoided with crime? How long does it take driving over to Park and Preston? Thanks again!!

Old 07-13-2013, 11:28 AM

276 posts, read 528,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miz77 View Post
Thank you for all that info!! Very helpful. What I am looking for is an area that is not so much like Plano with the keeping up with the Jones' mentality, with diversity, the mature trees, more of a community feel where neighbors are actually, well neighbors and there's a feeling of community. A safe area, an area that's accepting of all types of individuals/personalities, family friendly and decent schools. It seems like most of Richardson fits this? Is there an area in 75081 that should be avoided with crime? How long does it take driving over to Park and Preston? Thanks again!!

I live in West Plano and have it all, it all depends on finding the right neighborhood.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:32 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miz77 View Post
Highland Terrace would be a good fit for you, or most of the neighborhoods in 75080 in your budget. Look at Heights Park, The Reservation, and Canyon Creek.

I have no idea how long it would take to get to Park and Preston on a weekday morning but on weekend afternoons traffic can get heavy on NB Preston north of the Bush turnpike. You could always go 75/190 and exit at Preston. As the crow flies it's not that far away. Maybe 8-10 miles?

Old 07-13-2013, 12:51 PM

96 posts, read 194,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickbear View Post
Is there a particular reason this area (75082) is a lower sq ft value compared to those zoned with the same zip code in RISD? schools, taxable value, city services, crime rate, etc?

Everything is better, go and check it out yourself. Drive around East Renner road and North Star. Homes are bigger hence sq ft may be less but total value is much higher.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:09 AM

161 posts, read 260,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger G View Post
Everything is better, go and check it out yourself. Drive around East Renner road and North Star. Homes are bigger hence sq ft may be less but total value is much higher.
Thanks....I was wondering why it might be a better value per Sq ft. Could it also be a less $ per Sq Ft, since it is outside of the PGBT compared to the value of those that are RISD inside the PGBT?

Old 07-15-2013, 02:44 PM

30 posts, read 47,046 times
Try 75248. It is right to the West. There are two elementary schools rated a 10/10 (Bowie & Brentfield) and the junior high (Parkhill) is a 10/10 as well. The HS, Pearce, is a 9. Check out greatschools.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas