Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 08:59 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,405,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Are the majority of the residents Conservative Republicans, absolutely. But thats like saying everyone in jail is a minority....it's just not true. Heck my parents are extremely artsy republicans and the first time I meet Bill Clinton was at a house in the University Park area from a family that are huge democratic supporters.
I suppose there are exceptions to every rule, even when it comes to the Park Cities. But it's not the first thing that would leap to mind for an arty type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 09:05 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,480,959 times
Absolutely. And honestly, if the OP is fine with sending their children to private school and living in Lakewood, I completely agree that would be their best bet. I know one of the concerns I have with sending my kids to private school is not having multiple children on their street that they go to school with. But I know the Lakewood area has many families that attend private school, so it probably wouldn't be a huge issue.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:17 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,743,057 times
Here's the benefit of my experience.....if working from my home office and being in an environment with beautiful nature, bodies of water, cultured and open people and an excellent educational system ......I would not choose the Dallas area. Why Dallas? Since budget isn't an issue and neither is proximity to employment, there are waaaaay better choices outside of Texas.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Here's the benefit of my experience.....if working from my home office and being in an environment with beautiful nature, bodies of water, cultured and open people and an excellent educational system ......I would not choose the Dallas area. Why Dallas? Since budget isn't an issue and neither is proximity to employment, there are waaaaay better choices outside of Texas.
This too!!!!!!!!! I often ask myself why I still live in Dallas. Family is to important to me though.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:29 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,397,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Are the majority of the residents Conservative Republicans, absolutely. But thats like saying everyone in jail is a minority....it's just not true. Heck my parents are extremely artsy republicans and the first time I meet Bill Clinton was at a house in the University Park area from a family that are huge democratic supporters.
I believe 75205 was a top fundraising zip code for both Republicans & Democrats in at least the last 2 presidential elections. Heck, the family who wrote the check to Planned Parenthood to close the funding gap when Komen pulled out is a 100+ year old HP family. The liberal Uniterian Church on Preston Road right by the Park Cities YMCA has remodeled and expanded. It appears to be packed on Sundays so I'd guess many members live in & around the Park Cities.

Both sides are solidly represented, much more than 20-30 years ago, although it is still majority GOP / conservative.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:32 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,397,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
This is VERY true. OP, try Seattle or the Bay Area or Portland before Dallas as all are better aligned with your described wants & needs. Dallas has "niche" neighborhoods where you'll find your artsy/ academic / liberal types, but they are much more the exception than the rule.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:02 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,242,247 times
As the OP has posted his inquiry in the Dallas forum, it would be appropriate to respond with experiences as related to Dallas/DFW, and to stay on topic...
Quote:
...in my relocation to Dallas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
Lakewood, ref. posts by Lakewooder
I would have included UP and HP but determined that might be overkill for what seems to be the OP's intent.

Last edited by Willsson; 07-19-2013 at 11:12 AM..

Old 07-19-2013, 12:39 PM

66 posts, read 128,241 times
I lived in Boston for over 20 years and I've lived in Dallas for 7. There are lots of things I REALLY like about living in Dallas and I have no regrets. But honestly, the things I miss or find lacking down here are exactly the things you list as important to you. (with the exception of a quiet and safe neighborhood, which is easy to find here). It really may not be the best move for you.

Yes, all of those things can be found in the region, but it's not the same caliber. I might get flamed for saying this, but there it is.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:47 PM

16,086 posts, read 41,249,444 times
You won't need private schools in Lakewood. We have IB secondary schools which also have an extensive (20-something) assortment of AP classes. As far as elementary schools, Stonewall Jackson and Lakewood Elementary are known as the best in Dallas and have received state recognition.

People are open-minded and there are a lot of artists, entrepreneurs and professors.

And it can be very quiet - Williamson Road runs between part of Lakewood and White Rock Lake:

Last edited by Lakewooder; 07-19-2013 at 01:01 PM..

Old 07-19-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
You won't need private schools in Lakewood. We have IB secondary schools which also have an extensive (20-something) assortment of AP classes. As far as elementary schools, Stonewall Jackson and Lakewood Elementary are known as the best in Dallas and have received state recognition.

People are open-minded and there are a lot of artists, entrepreneurs and professors.

And it can be very quiet - Williamson Road runs between part of Lakewood and White Rock Lake:
You can say what you want and such, but they still don't stack up to a private or HPISD education. Sorry, facts are facts. Yes yes, we know the top of the top students may be close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: