Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 10:44 PM

30 posts, read 74,394 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I've been reading and trying to figure out why Las Colinas and Addison are recommended pretty frequently. I understand that Uptown and Legacy/Plano has mostly young professionals, and bars, movie theaters, restaurants, etc. within walking distance. In reading about Las Colinas and Addison, I see they are recommended for young professionals, but really not too much is said about their walkability factor. So please help me understand the the pros of Las Colinas and Addison. Thanks.

PS: I used to live in Uptown but it's been many years. There is a small possibility I may be moving back to Dallas and working in the telecom corridor so I'm thinking of something other than Uptown to try something different. I did go to Addison once it while, but it was a drive of course, but not really to Legacy/Plano and Las Colinas (I don't think Legacy/Plano existed at the time, not sure when it was built).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 06:36 PM

127 posts, read 318,168 times
Where will you be working? I wouldn't describe Legacy/Plano as young professionals. You get a very different experience in Uptown bars and Legacy/Plano bars after 10pm or so... the difference of 15-20 years or so, in my experience. Addison is nice, lots of restaurants, some walkability. It is more suburban than Uptown in terms of shopping/eating, although it does not have the full-on suburb feel. Las Colinas isn't bad, but there you're getting away from local flavor. Lots of chains. Not much walkability here, unless there's an area I've missed, but convenient to the airport, Dallas, FW, etc.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:29 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Las Colinas... not really walkable, unless you have an apt that's right off of MacArthur next to a few restaurants or something. Addison is slightly more walkable in certain areas, if you are living in Addison Circle for example. In that regard, the Legacy/Plano area is the same as Addison. It can be walkable, but you're going to have to get an apartment/townhome in that specific area.

Uptown is the most walkable of all those choices.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:55 AM

4 posts, read 10,628 times
Hi everyone,
You all have been giving some great advice so I thought I would ask you all what you think of apartments in Las Colinas. I am 25 and relocating to Dallas. Can anyone give me advice as to which apartment complex is better, Bella Casita or Mandalay on the Lake. What are some pros and cons of each place? Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I am hoping to get some advice from you all on which apartment complex is best for a 25 year old. I am relocationg to Dallas in a few months and am trying to pick where to live. I am looking at Bella Casita or Mandalay on the Lake. Does anyone have any advice which one is better. Know of any pros or cons of each place?

Thanks!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-28-2012 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: posts by same OP about one of the original listed areas

Old 08-27-2012, 10:53 AM

812 posts, read 2,184,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston626 View Post
Hi everyone,
You all have been giving some great advice so I thought I would ask you all what you think of apartments in Las Colinas. I am 25 and relocating to Dallas. Can anyone give me advice as to which apartment complex is better, Bella Casita or Mandalay on the Lake. What are some pros and cons of each place? Thanks!

As someone who moved here from Boston (well, Dedham) in 1999 I can tell you that Las Colinas is top notch, but totally different than urban Boston. It's a mixed use development in Irving, with country clubs, million dollar homes, very nice apartments, high rise office buildings, and some affordable homes too.

You'd have to visit the 2 apartment complexes to see for yourself. I recall that apartments used to do deals like a month free if you sign a year lease. I think you can negotiate up the wazoo. The 2 keys are if you like it, and your commute time.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:26 AM

4 posts, read 10,628 times
Thanks. Good to have a former bostonians advice. I'll be working in Westlake which is why I thought Las Colinas would be a good location. I've visted one of the apartment places and really liked the location of it as well as the prices. Definitely wouldn't find any apartment like that up in boston for that price.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:03 PM

34 posts, read 156,179 times
I visited both apartments before going with Canal Side Lofts on the other end of lake Carolyn. Both are close to the Dart rail line which is a big plus. Both are on the more affordable end (by Las Colinas standards) as well. I would go with Mandalay on the Lake. Bella Casita lacks some of the amenities you find in other apartments around the area, such as a parking garage. Mandalay is right on the lake offering great views if you are willing to pay the extra cost. If you're looking for loft style, than neither will work.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:58 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,046 times
Beltline in Addison is basically a glorified strip mall. Addison circle is very nice and somewhat walkable, but it doesn't measure up to Uptown. I'll group Austin ranch off windhaven with the shops at legacy in saying they are both new and really nice, but it's not exclusively YOUNG professionals it's pretty mixed in ages. las colinas is so far out there and there's not much you can walk to. I think uptown is the best choice. Specifically, west village with nightlife, shopping, restaurants, and a movie theatre all in walking distance.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:56 AM

812 posts, read 2,184,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Beltline in Addison is basically a glorified strip mall. Addison circle is very nice and somewhat walkable, but it doesn't measure up to Uptown. I'll group Austin ranch off windhaven with the shops at legacy in saying they are both new and really nice, but it's not exclusively YOUNG professionals it's pretty mixed in ages. las colinas is so far out there and there's not much you can walk to. I think uptown is the best choice. Specifically, west village with nightlife, shopping, restaurants, and a movie theatre all in walking distance.
No question that Uptown is very urbane, but the commute to Westlake? Holy sheet!

Alternative is FtWorth. Reverse commute to Westlake on 35W.

As I've suggested often on this forum, suggest you locate close to your work. You can always go to whatever location on Friday and Saturday night.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:22 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggolf View Post
No question that Uptown is very urbane, but the commute to Westlake? Holy sheet!
I agree. That commute would be horrible, and would put a ton of miles and wear & tear on your car. Plus, for the next year, you would be stuck driving through the DFW Connector construction twice a day. That would be AWFUL!

Quote:
Alternative is FtWorth. Reverse commute to Westlake on 35W.
Not really. In the morning, traffic eastbound on 170 is VERY heavy with the people from Keller heading into town. I35W has its own construction nightmare where it intersects with North 820. I've driven through that intersection at various times, and even in the middle of the day, it is a snarl. Then there's also the construction at the 170/114 interchange. Thankfully, that one is progressing quicker, but it's still a mess.

So, long story short, living in downtown Fort Worth isn't really a viable alternative, either. It's also a lengthy drive, so reference earlier comments about mileage on car, etc.

Quote:
As I've suggested often on this forum, suggest you locate close to your work. You can always go to whatever location on Friday and Saturday night.
Yes, I totally agree here. And as I keep saying, you are here for a JOB. If you are constantly late to work becausae you are stuck in traffic due to your lengthy commute, you may well find yourself unemployed.

Find a decent apartment complex in Grapevine, or north Euless, and go somewhere fun on the weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas