Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 04:48 AM

149 posts, read 386,796 times

Advertisements

There's a debate going on down in the General US forums about the ten most cosmopolitan cities. While a number of posters list Dallas in their top ten, several continue to insist that Dallas is not deserving of this title.

Here's the facts:

1. DFW has over 10,000 companies headquartered there, more than any other metropolitan area.

2. DFW Airport is the largest of it's kind in the US, and the third busiest in the world.

3. Dallas has been dubbed the silicon praire (primary area of technological significance) in the southwest region.

4. Dallas is the third fashion capital of the US, behind New York and LA.

5. Dallas' Arts District is a 19 block area, the largest of it's kind in the US, featuring a variety of unique exhibits and performances.

6. Dallas was the first city to use automated toll technology, and was also the second city in the nation to start a smooth jazz station, the now defunct, 107.5 The Oasis.

7. Dallas is the biggest market for Lexus vehicles.

8. Dallas has more shopping and restaurants per capita than any other city, including New York.

9. Dallas has seen explosive growth of upscale developments/services (such as the Ritz-Carlton) in key areas.

10. Dallas is home to a regional Federal Reserve Bank.

11. Dallas has in excess of a million foreign-born residents.

12. DFW is home to roughly 68,000 millionaires and 15 billionaires.

13. UT Southwestern Medical Center is an extremely prestigious institution with four Nobel Laureates on staff (more than any other hospital system), and continues to be at the forefront of medical quality medical treatment.

14. JFK was shot in Dallas.

15.There's a show named after Dallas.

With all of these points, I think Dallas is very cosmopolitan. It seems some people can't let go of the cowboy hat wearing, hick stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 05:39 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F355 View Post
There's a debate going on down in the General US forums about the ten most cosmopolitan cities. While a number of posters list Dallas in their top ten, several continue to insist that Dallas is not deserving of this title....With all of these points, I think Dallas is very cosmopolitan. It seems some people can't let go of the cowboy hat wearing, hick stereotypes.
This is just a fact of life that most folks on the coasts see Dallas as part of flyover country. I'm from L.A. and my wife is from NYC, and we both feel that Dallas is much more cosmopolitan than most people give it credit for. It may not be NY, L.A. or San Francisco, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:43 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,596,369 times
Perception always lags reality.

It's just a matter of time before Dallas is "discovered" by the coasts. As if DFW weren't already growing at an amazing rate - imagine what will happen when that happens! I personally think that if coastal real estate prices (like FL and CA) didn't pop - and instead flat lined, but the inventory didn't balloon like it did, DFW would have seen much more of a boom. Based on my conversations with people from CA, if they felt they could sell their home, they'd move here.

Brian

Old 11-14-2007, 07:25 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,762,286 times
Dallas would definately be in the top 10, I would put it at a 5. What other cities are mentioned - must have atleast NYC, San Fran, LA, Chicago, Houston, Miami, Seattle, ...............

Old 11-14-2007, 07:38 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
I think Dallas is extremely cosmpolitan due to its diversity and opportunities for business and career growth, plus the incredible diversity of food, cultural activites, etc. available to people here.

I don't think JFK having been assassinated here contributes to its cosmopolitan vibe, though; if anything it takes away from it.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:11 AM

87 posts, read 383,335 times
Every thread on the general US seems to turn into city vs. city and gets old really quick. That's why I just stay on the local boards.

Anyone who has spent any time in Dallas would agree that the city belongs in the top 10 most cosmoplotian cities.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:16 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
I have almost a million AAdvantage miles, so I've been around - and I think Dallas stacks up pretty well. Most people don't realize we have 6.5 million residents (using Lost in Space Robot voice: "And Accelerating.") -- although to me that might not be such a good thing!

Old 11-14-2007, 08:25 AM

670 posts, read 2,999,222 times
I think it is, but I really never even as a kid viewed it as "hick" (I was a child in the 1970s so Dallas the show was on the air). I do hear that from people that have not been there, but I consider it in the top 10 US cities as far as that being cosmopolitan goes.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:37 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,297 times
I believe it is. There is also world class shopping in Dallas, NorthPark, Galleria, and Highland village will prove that. Many high end luxury brands have stores here, stores often found in Paris, London, Milan, NYC, and LA are in Dallas.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:50 PM

791 posts, read 2,223,005 times
I would share a few observations regarding your argument concerning a 'cosmopolitan Dallas'.

The only way you'll find Dallas on a cosmopolitan list is when you're not looking for Dallas on a cosmopolitan list. Only then will you know Dallas is cosmopolitan, or at least the street you live on may be.

2. DFW Airport will soon surpass Atlanta as busiest airport. Not that it will make Dallas more cosmopolitan but it'll sure give that new terminal shuttle a work out. Perhaps selling drinks while in transit will boot Dallas's reputation.

3. Georgina Mosbacher turned Dallas into a silicon 'prairie' long before technology became the rage.

7. Lexus - uuuuuuuggghhh, I wouldn't spread that around

14. JFK - probably Dallas's single largest international claim to fame and put Dallas on the international map

15. Dallas - less publicized is that from that show Dallas, there are two bars in Dallas named after lead characters, Sue Ellen and JR. That both of those bars are primarily gay clientele puts Dallas w a a a y up on that international list. See 'bohemian'.

You didn't mention Norma Lou and her annual bicycle trek on the continent. I mean, if you haven't been there then.......

I'm sorry to hear about your problem with cowboy hats and hick stereotypes. The cowboy hat is a quintessential element to Dallas's mystique and contributes to it international allure. That you need to parody the 'hick stereotype' refers me to my first point above, the street where you live.

Last edited by Willys; 11-14-2007 at 04:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas