Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 08:03 AM

875 posts, read 1,093,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
Obviously, if you're here, you aren't.
I've taken my chances with earthquakes on more than one occasion.....they aren't that frequent. People who have never lived in CA seem to think they happen all the time. You do feel tremors from time to time, but as far as ground breaking, it's rather rare.

Tornadoes on the other hand, occur here every single year without exception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 08:05 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,150,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
I've taken my chances with earthquakes on more than one occasion.....they aren't that frequent. People who have never lived in CA seem to think they happen all the time. You do feel tremors from time to time, but as far as ground breaking, it's rather rare.

Tornadoes on the other hand, occur here every single year without exception.
Yeah, but you knew that when you moved here. Can't really complain about it if you knew about it but decided to move here anyway.

Those of us who grew up here have just accepted that tornadoes are a force of nature that can't be avoided or prevented. They just happen. There's no point in complaining about it; it won't change anything.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:58 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,173,374 times
[quote=ladysrodgers;2037135]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post

Yes you're right......I was thinking more about LA as far as skyscrapers. I dunno about the urban feel. When I go downtown, it seems like any other large city I've been to.
True, but I was specifically comparing Dallas' urban feel to Orange County's urban feel which is to say the latter has none. Even the cities some might deem as "old" or "bad" -- Santa Ana, Garden Grove, Anaheim, etc. -- are very suburban in design, outside of their very small, low-rise downtowns.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:10 AM

875 posts, read 1,093,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Yeah, but you knew that when you moved here. Can't really complain about it if you knew about it but decided to move here anyway.

Those of us who grew up here have just accepted that tornadoes are a force of nature that can't be avoided or prevented. They just happen. There's no point in complaining about it; it won't change anything.
I'm not complaining about it, just stating a fact for the OP.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
I'm not complaining about it, just stating a fact for the OP.
I don't know why people are so paranoid about tornadoes anyway. It's silly. There's almost nowhere in the US that isn't prone to one type of natural disaster or another. If it's not tornadoes and hail in Texas, it's floods in the midwest and Gulf coast...hurricanes on the east coast and Gulf coast...blizzards in the north...avalanches, mudslides, etc. in the mountains...earthquakes and wildfires in California...freaking VOLCANOS in the PNW...etc. Nature is dangerous.

Of all of those, I think I prefer tornadoes...the damage is almost always confined to a small area and they don't actually kill that many people. Plus, I know what to do when a tornado is coming.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:34 AM

1,539 posts, read 3,192,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsBrittney View Post
Hi!

We are admist relocating from Long Beach CA (so relatively same area) and thought I'd toss in my input - I've lived in Plano before and we're now headed back to McKinney.

Property taxes are higher in TX and home insurance is more costly, but it doesn't make it a wash by far. I believe property taxes in CA are about 1% and about 3% in TX. So if you have a $450k home in California (which is almost impossible, homes in OC are roughly $600k and up) it isn't the same thing as a $180k home in TX.

Compared to So Calif, gas itself is a smidge cheaper. When gas was about $2.89 in McKinney, it was about $3.40 in Los Angeles. You run your a/c a lot in TX, but if you've experienced So Calif the last several years, it isn't exactly cool here either. We've had 80-90% humidity summers recently with 90-100 temperatures. Thank global warming for preparing you for TX summers!

To help compare, think of Collin County (north Plano, Allen, Frisco, McKinney) as the slightly more rual versions of Irvine Calif. Except more affordable. Coming from Calif, it feels almost free, while if you're a native to the Dallas area, its the more ritzy overpriced sector.

Other basic general items, such as tv/internet/food/etc, are the same almost anywhere you go. That won't change. And from my experience so far, car insurance is MUCH cheaper in TX than in CA. Someone mentioned it being more costly in TX, not sure who they were using.

In Calif, we pay about $250 a monthy for insurance for just two cars. In TX, its about $175.

Thanks SO much for your input. Sounds like you're sick of the cost of living in CA also. Yes I work in Irvine so that is a nice comparison for me to think of. And the average price of a home in Irvine is about $800k. RIDICULOUS. The more I hear, the more I like the sounds of the North Dallas area. Thanks SO much for your help again.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:34 AM

14 posts, read 54,538 times
I'm moving to Plano from South Orange County in June of next year. I went to check out Plano last April and I was impressed. It is like a newer, nicer, bigger Orange County-with less traffic. I live in Laguna Beach presently and even though we have the beautiful ocean and great weather, none of that compares to those big, beautiful houses and an even more beautiful price. Also, the most important thing, the people were so nice and friendly. There's a good reason why residents are so proud of Texas and I can't wait to be one of them. Good luck to you! =)

Old 11-19-2007, 10:38 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,806,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starofsky View Post
I'm moving to Plano from South Orange County in June of next year. I went to check out Plano last April and I was impressed. It is like a newer, nicer, bigger Orange County-with less traffic. I live in Laguna Beach presently and even though we have the beautiful ocean and great weather, none of that compares to those big, beautiful houses and an even more beautiful price. Also, the most important thing, the people were so nice and friendly. There's a good reason why residents are so proud of Texas and I can't wait to be one of them. Good luck to you! =)
Okay, YOU can come here!

Old 11-19-2007, 10:39 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,806,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgirlinCA View Post
The more I hear, the more I like the sounds of the North Dallas area. Thanks SO much for your help again.
And, yes, YOU can come, too!

Old 11-19-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starofsky View Post
WOOO, that's what we like to hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas