Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 10:36 PM

57 posts, read 126,522 times

Advertisements

Greetings,
I hope this finds everyone doing well. We are indeed moving to the Dallas area - my husband is driving next week - he starts work on August 16. I need to stay behind and finish up getting everything tied up here.

I plan on leaving the last week in August/First week in September.

I am slightly worried about driving with my 65 pound golden, my cat, and my 13 year old. But I cannot fly the animals at this time of the year - it has to be under 85 degrees on the tarmak and that isn't happening.

So - route suggestions?

I have seen the 1-40 route and the "southern route". I do not think with the passengers I have I can do this in two days - so I am okay with 3-4 days.

I do have friends in Albuqureque that we can crash with for one night.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 09:07 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,694,877 times
Used to live in Dallas and San Diego in the early 90's. Did the drive several times, usually flew.
I did the drive with my two 15 year old kids from Orange county to Dallas 20 years ago, we also stopped in Albequr. and drove thru the painted dessert; stood on the 4 corners, passed by the Grand Canyon. It was a long drive but just fine. No cell phone then or navigation system (however our car had a computer that kept beeping that we were out of gas --weren't -- that was unnerving!), old time version of Ipods (back then "Sony of my oney"). They thought they were too cool for school so weren't allowed back in the car until I heard a (often sarcastic) "owwoo - ahhhh" at the natural beauty. It took us 3 days. There were plenty of good rest stops. Now, at age 35, they both speak fondly of that trip. Hope you have a garmin just in case. Its about 100 miles more going thru Albeq., but I think a much more beautiful drive than going thru Phoenix, Tucson, etc.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:53 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,534,593 times
We did the I-40 route and I had a small SUV, a large 180lbs Newfoundland, and a 12 year old. We did the trip in two days. We stopped at the Grand Canyon the first day and then drove on into Albqureque, painted desert and stop off at some Indian shops and stayed the night there and then headed on into North Texas the next day. I would say we probably should have stayed in Amarillo and then drove on in as the panhandle is a whole days worth of driven....it would have made it a three day event. I wanted to stop in Amarillo and eat that big steak thing...but we didn't.

I would not suggest the 10 route, rough areas in El Paso and windy areas in Palm Springs. Plus not as scenic as I40.

Good luck to you!

Old 08-05-2010, 11:10 AM

687 posts, read 1,578,595 times
I've traveled both routes as well and also recommend the I-40 trek, especially if you haven't traveled it before. I usually do it in two days with plenty of time to spare, but if you spend three or four there is so much to see along the way. Fortunately, the only really hot parts will be near the beginning and end of the trip--crossing the southern California and Arizona deserts (until you start your ascent into the Flagstaff area) and then once you hit west Texas. Flagstaff to Amarillo should be comfortably hot. I made the trip from New Mexico and west Texas to southern California many times when I was younger and have nothing but great memories of the trips. Hopefully you can spend enough time to take it slow and take in the beauty as you head from one end of the southwest to the other.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:31 PM

58 posts, read 142,080 times
I JUST made this trip. We took I40 as well. I had my two pugs (who don't do well in the heat) and everything was great. We stayed in Flagstaff the first night, Amarillo the second, and caught the 287 all the way down to 380 (we live off of 380). It can be done. It won't get super hot until TX.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:47 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,218,878 times
Take plenty plenty plenty of water or non sugary drink. And Ice... LOTS OF ICE ! ! ! !

Years ago ('76) I took the 10 and 8 route to San Diego then back from LA via 10. It was HOT HOT HOT... in a VW bug.

Take 40. That drive on 10 from El Paso to Fort Worth would be boring enough to make you turn around and go back.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:15 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
I have not made the drive from Texas to California but have traveled more times than I can count to Colorado via 287 thru the panhandle & New Mexico. If you are not in a hurry to get here and need to make it in 2 days there is a lot to see along the way. As others have said, the Grand Canyon would be one must stop. While it might not stack up as great as the Grand Canyon it would be a good comparison and you can say you have done it (most Texans have not) and that is to see Palo Duro Canyon as well up out of Amarillo. If you spend the night in Amarillo you can get up early and see Palo Duro Canyon and then drive on in to Dallas in plenty of time. It is only a 6 hour drive from Amarillo to Dallas. If you want to stay pretty close to Palo Duro then stay down in Canyon, Tx. There is a pretty nice Holiday Inn there right by Texas A&M University, Canyon (formerly West Texas State Univ). Being that it is still summer vacation time I'd make sure to have reservations for this night. TRUST ME! The hotels/motels from ABQ to Amarillo and on down 287 fill up FAST! Between ABQ and Amarillo there is not much at all and you could spend HOURS looking for the last room in town in any of the small towns along the way. Even in Amarillo the hotels/motels fill up fast with travelers, vacationers and conventions. My parents were just going thru there and they could hardly find a room in all of Amarillo and they are familiar with Amarillo and they were traveling w/ their dog as well so that makes it even harder and theirs is small and they can sneak her in if they get down to it.

As you are driving on Hwy 287 pay close attention to the speed limits and they do drop off dramatically as you approach the small map dot towns. Between Amarillo and Wichita Falls there are some very nice rest stops. I would not hesitate getting out at one of them along the way to stretch your legs and walk the dog. They stay pretty busy. In the small towns along the way there are some Dairy Queen's and they don't mind if you go in and use their restrooms and most have an area with grass next to the parking lot for the four legged kids.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:26 AM

57 posts, read 126,522 times
Thanks everyone - looks like the northern route wins! I have time ...my daughter is not going to be there in time to start school on August 23 - so there is time - I would like to be in Dallas by Friday or Sat the 3 or 4. It is Labor Day weekend so rooms and traffic will be up there. I do not want to run into an issue of needing a weekend stay due to the holiday.
My parents live in Oklahoma - so depending on our housing situation - (we still do not have a home to live in when we get there as of now) - I may just stay the weekend in Oklahoma and have my husband drive up and meet us there and head back down to Dallas on Monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas