Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 11:50 AM

6 posts, read 17,271 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Dallas next summer. We are in our mid 30's and have a dtr who is 11 y/o. We think Dallas is the best area for her education and social growth. I need help deciding which city in the northern suburb of Dallas would be beneficial to my family and their needs. I have looked into Carrollton, Frisco, Allen and Mckinney and I like what they have to offer, but would like some incite on other cities in the area I am not aware of.

Which cities have the best school district? We are seeking a school district that will ensure our dtr will be prepared for college.

How is the job market? Should we apply for jobs before we move or should we wait until we get settled in Dallas? I am an immigration paralegal and my husband is a Cryogenic Gas Commercial Driver. We both have 10 years experience in our fields but no college education. Do you think this will be a problem?

We are christians and are looking for a church in the suburbs. I have read great things about One Community Church in Plano. Are there other churches in the northern suburb area of Dallas that ppl are raving about?

At some point my husband and I want to purchase a home. What areas are best to settle down?

Last edited by dreadlock diva; 10-25-2013 at 12:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 12:24 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
1. Get jobs first. You have kids and need to be responsible. The economy is pretty good here, but still better to get at least one of you a job prior to moving.

2. DFW is H-U-G-E. If one of you got a job near Alliance and the other got one in Cedar Hill, if could easily take 2+ hours to drive from one point to the other. Find jobs first and then zero in on a great place to live within your desired commute times. We've seen posters get their hearts set on one particular area and the only be able to find a job in Midlothian or some other corner of the metroplex. Come with an open -mind. There are fantastic neighborhoods, schools, and churches all over the metroplex, not just in a few suburbs that are really popular with City-Data relocatees.

Off the top of my head, people love Fellowship Bible, Irving Bible, Watermark, Potter's House, etc. If you start looking these up, you'll find several have services all over the metroplex like Fellowship does. It's the Bible Belt, you won't have a problem finding a great church home.

Likewise with schools, almost every district has good schools even if the whole district isn't highly rated. There are many, many threads on school quality. Most are focused on THE BEST schools for parents who think their kids are going to Harvard. If your goal is to have your daughter be a successful first generation college graduate, almost every district has schools which will prepare her well. My point: don't read a dozen threads and think if you don't buy in Plano / Southlake/ Flower Mound, your kid is screwed. There are SO many good schools never discussed on City-Data because they aren't in the hot relo areas or aren't sending 5 kids to Harvard every year. We rarely discuss Rockwall, Keller, southern Arlington, Garland, Mesquite, Carrollton, etc schools, but they are good, too!

Old 10-25-2013, 02:33 PM

26 posts, read 40,459 times
Marking this thread.

We are in a similar boat dreadlock diva...live in San Francisco, mid'30s with one baby but we want another and our small apartment isn't cutting it. BIL lives in Dallas and loves it so if my wife gets a job she is interviewing for, we are leaving California...never thought we'd see the day.

Going to rent for 6 months or so to get the lay of the land and then we will buy...crazy how cheap housing is in Dallas compared to the Bay Area!

Best of luck on your search.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:31 PM

6 posts, read 17,271 times
Thanks turtlecreek80 and cinap for your thoughts. My husband and I will visit Dallas in April 2014 for a week before we move in June 2014. Do u know the area of any nice apartments or townhouses we can take a look at while we are there? Our budget is $900-$1000 per month. When is a good time to start applying for jobs?

Old 10-25-2013, 03:32 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,464,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinap View Post
Going to rent for 6 months or so to get the lay of the land and then we will buy...crazy how cheap housing is in Dallas compared to the Bay Area!
Depending on which areas you look in, yes, yes it is.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:33 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
I agree that one of you MUST find a job before you move the family. Renting anywhere with no job will be nearly impossible.

As others have said, DFW is huge, and there are good areas on every side of the metroplex. Find the job first, then pick a place to live within a 20 mile radius.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:07 PM

681 posts, read 1,672,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I agree that one of you MUST find a job before you move the family. Renting anywhere with no job will be nearly impossible.

As others have said, DFW is huge, and there are good areas on every side of the metroplex. Find the job first, then pick a place to live within a 20 mile radius.

One of my biggest challenges is landing a job before I move to DFW....but I will probably have about $80K in cash in savings when I arrive, job or no job. The goal is to 1) ideally land a job before I arrive or 2) If I move without a job, I plan to hustle and look hard for a job once I arrive. It would be a shame to blow thru all that savings when my goal is to use that towards a purchase of a home.

Will a private landlord or even apartment complex rent to me if I offer to pay a whole 6 months to a year of rent up front?

In the meantime while I have a good paying job and great earning potential in NYC I will save as much as I can!

Old 10-25-2013, 08:54 PM

18 posts, read 110,079 times
No point planning far ahead on housing, unless you know where you work. From north Dallas suburbs, all freeways are pretty bad during rush hour, so you are better off living a reasonable distance from work. All school districts to the north of Dallas are decent.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:07 PM

307 posts, read 532,051 times
"Will a private landlord or even apartment complex rent to me if I offer to pay a whole 6 months to a year of rent up front?"

Yes you should be able to find someone. My daughter was right out of high school with an inheritance and got an apartment paying 6 months in advance with no employment. Heck, your money is more sure than someone with a job that moves in and pays monthly.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:52 AM

681 posts, read 1,672,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablebodied View Post
"Will a private landlord or even apartment complex rent to me if I offer to pay a whole 6 months to a year of rent up front?"

Yes you should be able to find someone. My daughter was right out of high school with an inheritance and got an apartment paying 6 months in advance with no employment. Heck, your money is more sure than someone with a job that moves in and pays monthly.
Thank you, that's the way I see it too..... hopefully I can find someone who's willing to rent to me thru Craigslist or thru a local realtor when the time comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas