Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 07:02 PM

14 posts, read 22,264 times

Advertisements

I have an internship in Dallas from January - May of 2008. I have lived in Michigan my whole life. I am having trouble finding a nice place to live. Looking for something in the North Dallas/Addison/Carrollton area that is relatively cheap (student...). Any suggestions? I have been looking at apartmentratings.com to get an idea about potential places, and it is not easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 07:12 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,806,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunnins View Post
I have an internship in Dallas from January - May of 2008. I have lived in Michigan my whole life. I am having trouble finding a nice place to live. Looking for something in the North Dallas/Addison/Carrollton area that is relatively cheap (student...). Any suggestions? I have been looking at apartmentratings.com to get an idea about potential places, and it is not easy.
Try budgetsuites.com, they have a location there in Addison; comes completely furnished w/all utilities, too, so you wouldn't have to pay deposits, transport stuff back and forth, etc., for just one semester.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:30 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,261,385 times
Default Cheap place to live for a few months.

You may want to try Craigslist. A lot of people facing financial hardship are renting rooms in their homes. Also, put a flyer up in your local Starbucks...

Old 11-24-2007, 07:58 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,242,029 times
I wouldn't put too much faith in apartmentratings.com, the manager of my old apartment complex used to rig the ratings.

I believe there are roomate finder sites. The college you are attending should have some sort of online message board.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:58 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,891,424 times
I'll second the recommendation for Budget Suites and looking on Craig's list.

You won't want to rent an actual apartment. First, it will be difficult to find one that will lease for less than 6 months, and then you'd have to haul furniture and stuff down...

Wouldn't the company where you're doing the internship help, or at least recommend somewhere to stay?

Old 11-25-2007, 10:13 AM

I checked out the Budget Suites website, and it looks like a good option. Is the one in Addison in a decent area? I do not want to have to worry about crime too much while I am down there. There is also one near Richardson that is close... which one would be a better choice?

Old 11-25-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I checked out the Budget Suites website, and it looks like a good option. Is the one in Addison in a decent area? I do not want to have to worry about crime too much while I am down there. There is also one near Richardson that is close... which one would be a better choice?
If you mean the one in North Dallas at Forest Lane... not such a good area. Addison is much better, w/restaurants/shopping, etc. Where will you be interning?

See Addison Texas

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-25-2007 at 11:28 AM..

Old 11-26-2007, 07:50 AM

Will be interning at the Cooper Aerobics Center. Has anyone ever stayed in the Budget Suites?

Old 11-26-2007, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Will be interning at the Cooper Aerobics Center. Has anyone ever stayed in the Budget Suites?
I've heard good things about them from people that have stayed at them when relocating and would not hesitate to stay in one in a good area. They are not advertised nationally because they're only located in TX and NV. And, while they are not one of the top of the line hotels in the area (those would cost you $200+/nite), they are certainly not subpar either, just good, modest accommodations for a modest budget, which you initially said was what you were looking for.

There are certainly many, many more in the area that you could choose from (look into extended stay accommodations), and again, there are always many, many apartments to choose from in the area as well, it's all in what you will feel comfortable with.

Good luck to you.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:39 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,150,997 times
Quote:
Addison's an OK area; I live just south of it. It does have problems with property crime though, just like any other moderately affluent part of Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas