Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 01:03 PM

4 posts, read 23,130 times

Advertisements

We are currently looking to relocate to TX area, we are debating between Plano, and Richardson. I will be working in Frito Lay.

1- Is Plano better school System than Richardson
2- Are homes better in Plano or is Richardson Better? We are looking at 2500 SF house, yard is not a problem, 4 BR, 2.1 bath, 2 car garage, built in the last 10 years, and around 225-250K
3- What are the home reslaes in this area
4- Crime rates
5- Malls
6- Easy Access to major Highways like 75
7- Are these areas diversified
8- Outdoor activities
9- How is the real Estate Market in those areas? is it buyers market, sellers market, or flat?

Any ideas?? I would like to hear from you.

Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 01:22 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otta View Post
We are currently looking to relocate to TX area, we are debating between Plano, and Richardson. I will be working in Frito Lay.

Overall I would say no; they both have good and not-so-good schools.

Quote:
2- Are homes better in Plano or is Richardson Better? We are looking at 2500 SF house, yard is not a problem, 4 BR, 2.1 bath, 2 car garage, built in the last 10 years, and around 225-250K
Depends on what area you're in.

Quote:
Generally they're good but again it depends on the neighborhood.

Quote:
4- Crime rates
Plano has a lower crime rate than Richardson does but again, it depends on the neighborhood.

Quote:
5- Malls
The Galleria is closer to Richardson than to Plano; it's a pretty good mall. Stonebriar is in Frisco, which is closer to Plano. It's also a pretty good mall. I don't think Richardson actually has any malls in the city limits anymore.

Quote:
You'll have to look on a map; 75 goes through both suburbs.

Quote:
Depends on what you mean by "diversified". It'll also depend on the area.

Quote:
8- Outdoor activities
Both suburbs are very built-up, but they both have pretty good parks.

Quote:
9- How is the real Estate Market in those areas? is it buyers market, sellers market, or flat?
The homes near excellent schools will usually sell more quickly and for more money than average. There are some parts of Plano and Richardson that are less desirable than others, but the desirable areas with good schools usually don't seem to be buyers' markets.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:37 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otta View Post

4- Crime rates
5- Malls
8- Outdoor activities

Any ideas?? I would like to hear from you.

Thanks for the info.
As for which school district is better that just depends on what you are looking for, both are very good. Again same thing with homes, its just a matter of preference. Homes in Plano are usually newer, so you may want to look there. Plano is highly sought after so it will probably have better resale. Both have easy access to malls and highways. Of the two Richardson probably has better freeway access. The Dallas area has tons of mall, and no matter where you live there is always one close by. Richardson is more more diverse, but Plano is becoming more diverse.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
As for which school district is better that just depends on what you are looking for, both are very good. Again same thing with homes, its just a matter of preference. Homes in Plano are usually newer, so you may want to look there. Plano is highly sought after so it will probably have better resale. Both have easy access to malls and highways. Of the two Richardson probably has better freeway access. The Dallas area has tons of mall, and no matter where you live there is always one close by. Richardson is more more diverse, but Plano is becoming more diverse.
There are some great neighborhoods by JJ Pearce in Richardson that I'd like to look at next year; I'd guess their resale value is pretty damned good too since the area schools are great.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:43 PM

Thumbs up Looking for a Good Realtor in Plano Area

This is great news, we are so excited. Thanks for the info. Any one knows a good realtor in the area of Plano? Please let me know???
Thanks ALL

Old 11-24-2007, 06:04 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,804,066 times
Just as a FYI, Frito-Lay is located in far west Plano at Legacy (runs east-to-west) and Dallas North Tollway (runs north-to-south) which is eight miles west of I75 (also runs north-to-south), so if you're looking close to I75, you'll be criss-crossing Plano on a daily basis. From where you'll be working, the Tollway would be your major highway, which is closer to Stonebriar Mall, Frisco, etc., rather than I75/Richardson.

To check the crime rates for each city, go back to the beginning of this forum, Stats about all US cities - relocation info, maps, race, income, photos, education, crime, weather, houses, etc. and enter in each cities name. You could also do a search in this Dallas forum for specific info on these areas/schools/housing as there are many (previous) postings on this same topic.

Good luck to you and welcome to Texas.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:01 PM

63 posts, read 365,791 times
Both cities have some great neighborhoods and it is a buyers market currently even in the "in demand" communities unless the property is unique and has no true comparables. You can also find great deals on foreclosures in both Richardson & Plano, many of my clients have purchased foreclosures this year due to the instant equity that they have been able to walk in with on the homes we have found. In my experience Plano is a winner for resale because the city appeals to a more broad pool of home buyers. It has easy access to different main freeways & the tollway for commute, industry, growth and it has several shopping centers and malls from Galleria to Collin Creek. Clicking on the link in the previous post will tell you a lot of good information about the two also.

Welcome to Texas.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorywalker View Post
Both cities have some great neighborhoods and it is a buyers market currently even in the "in demand" communities unless the property is unique and has no true comparables. You can also find great deals on foreclosures in both Richardson & Plano, many of my clients have purchased foreclosures this year due to the instant equity that they have been able to walk in with on the homes we have found. In my experience Plano is a winner for resale because the city appeals to a more broad pool of home buyers. It has easy access to different main freeways & the tollway for commute, industry, growth and it has several shopping centers and malls from Galleria to Collin Creek. Clicking on the link in the previous post will tell you a lot of good information about the two also.

Welcome to Texas.
I dunno...there's a neighborhood in Richardson I remember from my childhood because my best friend moved there. I was in that neighborhood recently and did not see a single "for sale" sign; I'm guessing if anything comes on the market in that 'hood it's snapped up instantly. The BF and I are interested in buying in that area next year, but not if there aren't any houses for sale! It's that area near Coit and Campbell...the SW corner of it...where all the street names are Scottish place names.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:50 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I dunno...there's a neighborhood in Richardson I remember from my childhood because my best friend moved there. I was in that neighborhood recently and did not see a single "for sale" sign; I'm guessing if anything comes on the market in that 'hood it's snapped up instantly. The BF and I are interested in buying in that area next year, but not if there aren't any houses for sale! It's that area near Coit and Campbell...the SW corner of it...where all the street names are Scottish place names.
SW of Coit and Campbell is the city of Dallas. Coit is the dividing line. That's Highlands North, Estates West, Prestonwood East and Holiday Park. Not sure which one you mean, but I bet it's Highlands North. Sometimes families buy in Estates West because it's cheaper and later on upgrade to Highlands North since it's all the same school sequence. SW of Coit and Campbell is JJ Pearce Addition in Richardson and I don't think there are any homes for sale in the subdivision right now.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
SW of Coit and Campbell is the city of Dallas. Coit is the dividing line. That's Highlands North, Estates West, Prestonwood East and Holiday Park. Not sure which one you mean, but I bet it's Highlands North. Sometimes families buy in Estates West because it's cheaper and later on upgrade to Highlands North since it's all the same school sequence. SW of Coit and Campbell is JJ Pearce Addition in Richardson and I don't think there are any homes for sale in the subdivision right now.
Thank you all for the great info, and for your time in rsponding to me. I appreciate all the time, and effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas