Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 08:48 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini71 View Post
I am realizing that career wise there is a compromise while moving to DFW, but not sure if the savings that I make will justify the compromise. Can somebody validate if the savings in terms of Housing EMI and State taxes as steep as it seems on paper?
I can give you a really rough comparison of our costs in Texas versus NJ. I need to get my hubby to do a cost comparison on of these days. Sorry if my data is a bit rough but hubby and I were just talking about this yesterday.

Property taxes:
NJ: 2400 sf house assessed under $300k/$14k per year in taxes
Texas: 4100 sf house in Plano/$6k ish according to tax records of comparable properties..don't know exact amount since we are renting.

Utilities:
Electricity: about even. Costs a bit higher in NJ due to running a pool over the summer. About $600/month. If our crappy rental house was more energy efficient and the landlord did maintenance, costs would be much lower. Our neighbor with similar house only paying $230 in the summer but he has done some really energy efficient things. With pool, one other neighbor paying $600 or so but their house is decked out like Martha Stewart...wine and beer coolers, couple fridges, etc.
Gas: cheaper in Texas
Yard maintenance: cheaper in Texas
Water: not sure, have to ask hubby

Other big savings have been in transportation. NJ about $550/per month in NJ Transit and subway costs plus $350ish/year in parking. Texas $81/month DART pass, free parking. Food is slightly cheaper in Texas but discovering cheap places like WalMart stores and Trader Joes, overall paying less. Being a wine drinker, I'm enjoying my inexpensive wine compared to being gouged at the liquor store in NJ so that is another big plus!

We haven't filed our taxes since our move. In NJ, we were paying NJ and NY taxes. Really curious to see the difference when we do file.

Another thing you need to look at is quality of life. For us, we had no family ties to NJ. My hubby was pretty unhappy with a 4 hour commute everyday and dealing with the stress of working in NYC. He commutes into Dallas and it is about an hour from doorstep to work. I find the overall pace here in Texas much better, people friendlier, etc.

As others have said, come out for a week visit and see what you think. When we visited a few years ago, I fell in love with the area. I actually cried when we flew back into Newark and immediately were greeted rudely by those red coat "courtesy" guys at the airport. If you love NJ and have family there, a good stable job, I would consider things carefully. NJ isn't a terrible place and in spite of the high costs, it has advantages. If I'm coming across as bath mouthing NJ, that is not my intention. In fact, I've run into quite a few NJ transplants here in Texas. Together we discuss our pizza cravings, lack of good delis on every corner and some other NJ things we miss. For us, we didn't have close ties aside from friends who I miss horribly. My husband was also nearing his patience with his commute and would have probably looked for something else. Our move came at the right time. Now if he can find a good IT job, we will be set!!

Good luck!

Last edited by Siggy20; 12-16-2013 at 09:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 07:02 PM

974 posts, read 2,186,138 times
Someone said something about not having enough delis in Dallas... well it's true but there's these places:

http://cindisnydeli.com/

Gio's Cafe and New York Delicatessen

Deli News

and while German, it's still good: Kuby's Sausage House

Old 12-16-2013, 07:39 PM

35 posts, read 44,370 times
Hi,

We might possibly be moving to dallas area next week and i would need your inputs. I would be relocating from India with my wife and one year old kid. Have lived in connecticut for 3 years and The north east region on off for 6 months. so TX is something new to me and frankly a bit scary as i know very few people here as compared to the North east. Wife will be a stay at home mom for next 3-6 months before she starts working. Could you advise as to where i should start searching for rentals. Needs are

a) SAFE neighborhood (Indian neighborhood would be a big plus so that wifey can make contacts and chat over whilst i travel )
b)able to walk to all places without a car ( my job would involve traveling across country so would not do much intra city commute apart from groceries and entertainment). Intend to use the DART rail to the maximun
c) Nearby to parks or any walk trails so that wife can stroll the kid during the non summer months
d) Areas with good creche facilities 3-6 months down the line
e) Good job opportunities in IT sector for wife to work down the line
f)Good entertainment options
g) 2 bed 2 bath apartment is what we would look forward to rent and would prefer a washer dryer in unit. Prefer to stay in skyrises or luxury condos if applicable within our budget.

and any suggestions for a extended stay with a kitchenette less than 100$/ day. would stay there for the initial month till we find an apartnment to rent.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:35 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prasen View Post
Hi,

We might possibly be moving to dallas area next week and i would need your inputs. I would be relocating from India with my wife and one year old kid. Have lived in connecticut for 3 years and The north east region on off for 6 months. so TX is something new to me and frankly a bit scary as i know very few people here as compared to the North east. Wife will be a stay at home mom for next 3-6 months before she starts working. Could you advise as to where i should start searching for rentals. Needs are

a) SAFE neighborhood (Indian neighborhood would be a big plus so that wifey can make contacts and chat over whilst i travel )
b)able to walk to all places without a car ( my job would involve traveling across country so would not do much intra city commute apart from groceries and entertainment). Intend to use the DART rail to the maximun
c) Nearby to parks or any walk trails so that wife can stroll the kid during the non summer months
d) Areas with good creche facilities 3-6 months down the line
e) Good job opportunities in IT sector for wife to work down the line
f)Good entertainment options
g) 2 bed 2 bath apartment is what we would look forward to rent and would prefer a washer dryer in unit. Prefer to stay in skyrises or luxury condos if applicable within our budget.

and any suggestions for a extended stay with a kitchenette less than 100$/ day. would stay there for the initial month till we find an apartnment to rent.
This has Las Colinas in Irving written all over it. Huge Indian community, some walkable areas, IT jobs, and the DART rail.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:04 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,464,022 times
NJ sales tax is 7% while Texas is 8.25%

Old 05-16-2020, 05:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,934 times
Hello -
I have same question now in 2020. I live in Edison, NJ and have months old baby and with current situations and family wise, interested to move to Dallas, TX. Could you share your opinions? I'm in IT as well, may need to travel to NYC for work couple of times a month.

Thank you.

Old 05-16-2020, 07:01 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,412,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srini71 View Post
Hi,

But there is one big concern

- My current job allows me to be based out of anywhere in US. But if I need to switch, i am not sure if my next job will allow to be based out of Dallas. I know of people who moved back from Dallas to NJ citing the Tech jobs scene in Dallas is no where as vibrant as North east.
Unfortunately, this is the uncertainty we all with with. Job markets change and now more than ever. Instead of ruling out the unknown its best to secure your current position and make the move based on that. No one knows what the future holds. OP, you didn't even specify what kind of TECH job you're in so I could have helped you with a little more specifics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas