Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 08:06 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times

Advertisements

Anyone done it, doing it or thinking about it?

General thoughts or impressions would be appreciated.

Thx

ETA - I know it's extremely expensive.

Last edited by EDS_; 01-12-2014 at 08:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 12:07 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Anyone done it, doing it or thinking about it?

General thoughts or impressions would be appreciated.

Thx

ETA - I know it's extremely expensive.
Never, ever, thought of it. But first thought is CONTACTS. I swear SMU contacts are incredible if anyone is planning on working in Dallas. YMMV.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:32 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
A former boss did the program about 8 years ago. He was an extremely sharp guy and absolutely loved it. He was very impressed with his classmates- not only learning a lot about different industries, but being challenged to think and question in different ways than our company's "culture." He also really enjoyed the China trip and the other abroad trip as his role in our company didn't have any international exposure.

Just one person- but he left our company not long after finishing and is now a C-suiter at an industry leading company on the East Coast. Although expanding one's network is a huge benefit to a mid-career MBA, I don't think that SMU connections landed him the big job at the new company, but rather I think he developed into a C-suiter because of the SMU program.

Oh yeah, and he studied. A LOT. Every Fri/Sat/Sun he was in class or with his study group. Even on the non-class weeks. And it's pretty social; lots of drinking, even while studying. I think it might be challenging to balance a family and the Executive MBA or help a spouse understand the necessity of drinking & studying at the Barley House every weekend, but it's just for 2 years.

Last edited by TurtleCreek80; 01-13-2014 at 05:57 AM..

Old 01-13-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
A former boss did the program about 8 years ago. He was an extremely sharp guy and absolutely loved it. He was very impressed with his classmates- not only learning a lot about different industries, but being challenged to think and question in different ways than our company's "culture." He also really enjoyed the China trip and the other abroad trip as his role in our company didn't have any international exposure.

Just one person- but he left our company not long after finishing and is now a C-suiter at an industry leading company on the East Coast. Although expanding one's network is a huge benefit to a mid-career MBA, I don't think that SMU connections landed him the big job at the new company, but rather I think he developed into a C-suiter because of the SMU program.

Oh yeah, and he studied. A LOT. Every Fri/Sat/Sun he was in class or with his study group. Even on the non-class weeks. And it's pretty social; lots of drinking, even while studying. I think it might be challenging to balance a family and the Executive MBA or help a spouse understand the necessity of drinking & studying at the Barley House every weekend, but it's just for 2 years.
My wife is thinking about the program. She's already a CIO with no intentions/desires to be a CEO. So there is limited upward career track utility that the degree might bring. She is interested in one day moving over to a non-profit and you know how much they love extra letters. Our youngest will be gone next fall as well.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:16 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,197 times
SMU MBA here. Wife went to UTD.

Very solid program at both schools.

You will learn a lot and meet a lot of interesting people.

If you want the c-level or the rung just below, then you will need an MBA, not just for the contacts and sheepskin, but for the knowledge as well.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
SMU MBA here. Wife went to UTD.

Very solid program at both schools.

You will learn a lot and meet a lot of interesting people.

If you want the c-level or the rung just below, then you will need an MBA, not just for the contacts and sheepskin, but for the knowledge as well.
Well, my wife has been a CIO for ten years without an MBA. But she wants one anyway.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:00 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,823 times
Friend of mine has an MBA from a well known school, but maybe a top 40 program. He is in a small group of contenders to be a CEO of a company in Dallas that everyone knows. I asked him if he wished that he would have gone to SMU or TCU based on the connections, etc. He said absolutely not. He wishes he would have just taken time off of work and gone to Wharton, Stanford, etc. He felt like not having the best possible school behind his name was a minor strike in his bid to keep advancing. Please keep in mind, there are numerous factors that will determine whether he gets to be CEO, and by no means is he saying that this is determinative, just a small factor. The other couple of people have nice schools on their resumes.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:33 AM

262 posts, read 468,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
My wife is thinking about the program. She's already a CIO with no intentions/desires to be a CEO. So there is limited upward career track utility that the degree might bring. She is interested in one day moving over to a non-profit and you know how much they love extra letters. Our youngest will be gone next fall as well.
Based on your post, if there is no desire for career progression, I would go with the cheapest program......:-)...Honestly, I don't think the university makes a difference (SMU vs UTD vs UD) if there is no desire to move up the ladder.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
Friend of mine has an MBA from a well known school, but maybe a top 40 program. He is in a small group of contenders to be a CEO of a company in Dallas that everyone knows. I asked him if he wished that he would have gone to SMU or TCU based on the connections, etc. He said absolutely not. He wishes he would have just taken time off of work and gone to Wharton, Stanford, etc. He felt like not having the best possible school behind his name was a minor strike in his bid to keep advancing. Please keep in mind, there are numerous factors that will determine whether he gets to be CEO, and by no means is he saying that this is determinative, just a small factor. The other couple of people have nice schools on their resumes.
Bloomberg rates SMU's Executive MBA at #3 in the world above Wharton or Stanford (not even sure Stanford has an EMBA). My wife has 25+ years of serious mostly high level business and IT experience, a regular MBA from anywhere would be a near-total waste of time.

ETA - forgot to say good luck to your friend.

Last edited by EDS_; 01-13-2014 at 10:48 AM..

Old 01-13-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseball123 View Post
Based on your post, if there is no desire for career progression, I would go with the cheapest program......:-)...Honestly, I don't think the university makes a difference (SMU vs UTD vs UD) if there is no desire to move up the ladder.

My wife does not think like that. SMU's is supposed to be the most demanding and have the best cadre of students. She's an all or nothing personality.

What she's really after is the chance to rub elbows with non IT types in efforts to lean more about how others think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: