Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 04:45 PM

7 posts, read 10,936 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone...

I've been reading some of the threads that deal with this area but I'm not sure if opinions have changed since then since date back to 2011..2008.

Husband is being promoted and transferred to Van Alstyne TX. Have three boys..5th grade, 3rd grade and our college bound 18 yr old. All three Love football...my youngest mixes baseball and track in as well. All about sports in my house so I mix in pink whenever possible to stay sane! lol ....ok....tangent.

We will be renting...need a 3 bdrm at least. We've looked at surrounding areas...Frisco, Plano, Allen..McKinney is a maybe. Our max for a rental is 1300. Read about Prosper as well..Sherman...I've done searches for apts ect but I'd like to know what areas to stick to in these cities.

Not familiar with the areas at all...don't know which schools are more desirable than others...not too concerned with scores ect..happy to say that my boys are straight A's & B's and they've been in the great and not so great schools around here. But whatever is best for them as far as your experience/knowledge..I'd love to hear about it.

Looking for youth football leagues for my young ones...as well as colleges...my oldest is liking UNT but wants to do some campus visits to several.

If there are any other areas I should consider..let me know..we have 2 1/2 months or so. Unfortunately we can't pick up and go take a trip up there just yet since we need to be nice to that piggy bank for a bit to prepare. If you have links to threads that have answered anything I asked..please share those with me too.

thank you in advance..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 07:53 PM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Scattershooting....

It's a little over 20 miles from Sherman to Van Alstyne so that's easily doable.

I'd check out the schools and housing opportunities in and around Sherman, Mckinney, Celina, Prosper and Frisco. I don't know enough about the relevant school districts to comment.

Good luck and welcome to Texas.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:25 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,396 times
Access is very easy from McKinney.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:53 PM

352 posts, read 570,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessymrn View Post
Hi everyone...

I've been reading some of the threads that deal with this area but I'm not sure if opinions have changed since then since date back to 2011..2008.

Husband is being promoted and transferred to Van Alstyne TX. Have three boys..5th grade, 3rd grade and our college bound 18 yr old. All three Love football...my youngest mixes baseball and track in as well. All about sports in my house so I mix in pink whenever possible to stay sane! lol ....ok....tangent.

We will be renting...need a 3 bdrm at least. We've looked at surrounding areas...Frisco, Plano, Allen..McKinney is a maybe. Our max for a rental is 1300. Read about Prosper as well..Sherman...I've done searches for apts ect but I'd like to know what areas to stick to in these cities.

Not familiar with the areas at all...don't know which schools are more desirable than others...not too concerned with scores ect..happy to say that my boys are straight A's & B's and they've been in the great and not so great schools around here. But whatever is best for them as far as your experience/knowledge..I'd love to hear about it.

Looking for youth football leagues for my young ones...as well as colleges...my oldest is liking UNT but wants to do some campus visits to several.

If there are any other areas I should consider..let me know..we have 2 1/2 months or so. Unfortunately we can't pick up and go take a trip up there just yet since we need to be nice to that piggy bank for a bit to prepare. If you have links to threads that have answered anything I asked..please share those with me too.

thank you in advance..
As most have stated here already, Mckinney provides most of what your seeking, while the work commute to Van Alstyne would be around 20-30 mins. Check out zip codes, 75071 and 75070.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:14 PM

7 posts, read 10,936 times
thank you everyone! really appreciate the input!

Old 01-21-2014, 10:41 PM

149 posts, read 306,929 times
No matter where you land in Texas, you will be very close to a community that embraces football. There aren't really any "bad" sides of town in Allen, Frisco or Prosper. Some folks would say that Plano or McKinney East of 75 would be "ghetto", but those people have likely never seen a real ghetto.

I lean towards pointing you towards Sherman, mostly because I think your budget for a rental will go a little further than it would in DFW. It's a one high school town (without going to the lengths that Allen does to be a 'one high school town'), has everything most families need for day to day living, and will be a better commute than all the other cities you mention, except maybe McKinney. The West side of Sherman is nicer than the East side, and most of the good shopping will be north of 82.

You might also look at Melissa or Anna.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:37 AM

297 posts, read 476,271 times
If your son wants to be part of the BEST HS football team in Texas,
Allen High School is just between McKinney and Plano (they are #2 in the NATION)
https://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1C1...&ved=0CKABEPwS

As for RENT in McKinney or Plano, not really sure. I just know that there are PLENTY of apts throughout the DFW.

If you're looking for someone to give you a referral to some apts that are renting, etc... If you have internet,
then you have the same tools as ME. I can only refer you to where "I" live. But you don't want to live here. LOL.
Trust me, it's pretty rough in Old East Dallas.

you WILL be paying a lot more than here, tho'. (We pay $550/mo for 1 room, all bills paid; gas, water, electric)
It's ghetto, but the people are nice here, and since we don't pay utilities, we stay Cold in the Summer,
and WARM in the winters. And the lights are ALWAYS ON. ! LOL.

But trust me, there is NO WAY you won't be able to find somewhere that is affordable, and the right fit for you guys.

Welcome to the DFW. You'll LOVE downtown and Uptown.

Last edited by TheDarkSide; 01-22-2014 at 01:59 AM..

Old 01-22-2014, 12:45 AM

297 posts, read 476,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo81 View Post
No matter where you land in Texas, you will be very close to a community that embraces football. There aren't really any "bad" sides of town in Allen, Frisco or Prosper. Some folks would say that Plano or McKinney East of 75 would be "ghetto", but those people have likely never seen a real ghetto.
LOL ! I live in Old East Dallas. ! This is the REAL GHETTO.
But believe it or not... people are nice to one another.

I've lived in Ghettos where it is dangerous. Not dangerous here.
Old East Dallas is surrounded immediately by middle class to Upper middle class areas.

Ross ave has everything a guy needs, too.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:49 PM

3 posts, read 3,611 times
Do yourself a favor . Don't move to Van Alstyne. There is nothing there. Back water USA. Not trying to be funny. Just trying to keep you from making a huge mistake in your life. If you like hog farming or Mayberry RFD style of living, it's the perfect place to move to. People goal in life is to get out of places like Van Alstyne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas