Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 03:55 PM

297 posts, read 476,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
If Hollywood ever came to Texas they would automatically head for Austin first.

Dallas has the pretentiousness, but its not weird & liberal enough.
Actually, "metro matt", EVERY CITY IN TEXAS, with the exception of the True Cowboy-types, are Extremely pretentious. Even Houston. That was the 1st thing I noticed when making my homecoming back
to Dallas from California.
It seemed that the styles etc... were all being mimicked or stolen from anything that comes from
Music, television and movies; Meaning: Mimicking Hollywood & California.
Sad but true.

The only time I've seen Texans not mimicking people from California, Chicago or New York, is when
they listened to that Noise coming from the "Dirty South". AKA Rap "music" coming form Louisiana and
Atlanta.

And I don't want my hometown to continue being that way. I'd like it to have an identity of its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
I hope Dallas stays far away from the film industry.
You should move to the suburbs, then, BCB. Where all the 'sane' family-types live;
and all the "crazies" can't harm you. LOL. (don't take that too seriously)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallahoohoo View Post
There is no reason why any city in Texas, much less Dallas, should have a robust film/music industry. It doesn't attract the talent, the infrastructure, the demand
1: Don't hate on Texas
2: Actually , Houston has potential to be in the film Industry; That is why I want Dallas to
achieve this first.
3: "Attracting talent" has a LOT to do with getting the word out. The population here is large enough
to be self-sufficient. And large enough, that if everyone believed that it was worth it, they would
start at an early age to make that happen.
4: The NEWS is not doing its job in helping promote Dallas.
If Studios for movie-making WERE built in Dallas, it would be smart for them to 'report' what is going
on with our studios, on a DAILY basis.

Out of sight, out of mind, applies here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallahoohoo View Post
...Austin has got the music thing hands down due to its university town feel, and thus the youthful demand and openness to new bands. Dallas is just not an "artsy" town.
The reason AUSTIN is so.. "artsy" is because it is the Capitol of Texas.
If you know anything about state Capitols, you'd notice that they use state monies
to beautify their cities and make their city "fun" and ... "ARTSY'.
State Capitols are ALWAYS very touristic, and "nice places to visit".
And the fact that it is viewed as a cow-town; makes it seem like an authentic "cowboy" city,
(to an outsider) something on the level of Nashville, but not quite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolentMimes View Post
Las Colinas movie studios had a ton of shady stuff going on...they had stolen a bunch of money from independent bands. Basically, you sent them a master copy of your music and they would press it on to cd and print cd inserts and package it....
No Wonder they failed; you can only act like a crack-head and cheat and steal from others
for so long before you get a bad name and mess it up for everyone Else.

Still, things like that have gone on since the beginning of recorded music.
(u get a rep)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
...At this point, there's probably no way to get it back. C'est la vie.
Gave u a rep for giving probably one of the best and informative comments on here,
but in the end, you put a negative twist on it.

In MY opinion, the only thing stopping the Possibility of another Texas city wrestling
the Industry from Austin, is AUSTIN; since I'm sure the Bureaucrats there want to keep
their Monopoly . Even if the industry is better served HERE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.2Orlando2Dallas View Post
Who would finance all these productions? More importantly who would actually pay money to see all these movies?
I WOULD.
And I'm sure that Any Texan that wants to support America and TEXAS and its economy would.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:58 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,881,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkSide View Post

I WOULD.
And I'm sure that Any Texan that wants to support America and TEXAS and its economy would.

If you don't support a film industry in Dallas you're un-American? Puh-leeze.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:04 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Dallas first, then Texas, then America!

Old 02-24-2014, 03:19 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkSide View Post
Actually, "metro matt", EVERY CITY IN TEXAS, with the exception of the True Cowboy-types, are Extremely pretentious. Even Houston. That was the 1st thing I noticed when making my homecoming back
to Dallas from California.
It seemed that the styles etc... were all being mimicked or stolen from anything that comes from
Music, television and movies; Meaning: Mimicking Hollywood & California.
Sad but true.

The only time I've seen Texans not mimicking people from California, Chicago or New York, is when
they listened to that Noise coming from the "Dirty South". AKA Rap "music" coming form Louisiana and
Atlanta.

And I don't want my hometown to continue being that way. I'd like it to have an identity of its own.
I totally disagree.

Fort Worth is anything but pretentious & its in the same metro area. Houston doesn't have near the pretentiousness attitude Dallas does possibly because Houston is more blue collar who knows. Dallas tries to be as glamorous as Hollywood, that's why Dallas gets made fun of so much & picked on by the national media. Its a big city trying to act bigger than it really is. Sure its the 4th largest MSA with Fort Worth, but take that away & its the size of San Antonio.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Dallas first, then Texas, then America!
That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about. DALLAS FIRST.

I Love Texas, But DALLAS - and the DFW- come 1st.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
I totally disagree.

Fort Worth is anything but pretentious & its in the same metro area. Houston doesn't have near the pretentiousness attitude Dallas does possibly because Houston is more blue collar who knows. Dallas tries to be as glamorous as Hollywood, that's why Dallas gets made fun of so much & picked on by the national media. Its a big city trying to act bigger than it really is. Sure its the 4th largest MSA with Fort Worth, but take that away & its the size of San Antonio.
You're right about Fort Worth; the reason is that Fort Worth has more of a Texas Cowboy type of person.
There's some here in Dallas, here and there.. so I wasn't referring to 'them'.

The farther you get away from the Larger cities and Metros, the MORE 'Texan' the folks are;
But even there, you find a LARGE amount of people trying to mimick the "Dirty South" style.

It makes me shake my head.

As for Houston.. maybe you're a little right;
If Houston is not being pretentious when coming to mimicking styles, etc...
It is probably because Houston gets a lot of Californians migrating there.
Thus, they BRING their 'hip' style.

Dallas seems to get a lot of people from places like Ohio, Indianapolis, and other
mid-West and mid-East people.

Still , Dallas should not have to Rely on OTHER cities from OUT of Dallas,
or TEXAS, for that matter, to tell us how to dress, act, walk and talk.

I wanna see more Dallasites on my screen; It's about community.
Dallas is coming into its own, but will not have its own 'Style'
until it can CREATE its OWN MEDIA.

How do you think the "Dirty South" rapper image came about??? They are 'pushing'
their own media out there, and putting out their image.

New York pushes its image out there, and Los Angeles pushes its image.

It's weird, that Dallasites are not as concerned about this. Why would ANYONE
be content with receiving their information and entertainment from 'strange'
cities and people that don't know anything about this area. ?

Old 02-26-2014, 07:55 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
Why would ANYONE
be content with receiving their information and entertainment from 'strange'
cities and people that don't know anything about this area.
We have our own news channels that are better than the ones in LA, so we don't receive our information from outside our area. To be well rounded, one should receive their entertainment from outside their own area and inside their area.

Go look up the list of artists from TX and Dallas. It's been posted before. We're doing ok. Who cares if movies don't get made here? Most movies aren't actually made in the place they are about anyways. This post seriously seems to misunderstand the business of Hollywood and movie making.

And Dallas gets made fun of in national media? Please point out some recent instances of this.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:09 AM

954 posts, read 1,549,894 times
Fact is Dallas is Squaresville because I can remember working there in the 90s and because of the socalled "local option" one had to join a private club at a restaurant if he/she wanted to have a beer with your meal. Now to my knowledge that was never an issue with Fort Worth ? But it's just very silly to discuss Dallas in terms of being anything vaguely like Hollywood as it's just a very stuffy, conservative city.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:44 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
join a private club at a restaurant if he/she wanted to have a beer with your meal.
People used to wear pilgrim hats with buckles too. Do you have anything more recent? That private club thing hasn't been true in 10 or more years, and that was limited to the suburbs (many of which have recently passed laws allowing the sale of hard liquor), not Dallas itself.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:47 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,396 times
Quote:
I totally disagree.

Expand Dallas' borders to cover 600 square miles as Houston and their populations would be very similar. Also both metros are 9-10 thousand square miles. So, the with Ft. Worth stuff is dumb. There is no reason it shouldn't count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas