Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 12:53 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,009,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
From a logistics standpoint, Dallas has a great location. Direct flights to LAX or NYC which makes it easier on cast, crew and producers. Logistics has hurt Shreveport, La. as there are no direct flights from Shreveport to LA/NY or even to NEW ORLEANS and BATON ROUGE if you can believe it! Dallas could really become a super-player if the tax incentives were to be raised even a little bit just for the logistics benefits and hospitality amenities alone.
All of Texas is a great location. Its centralized with every major city offering direct flights to LA & NYC.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 03-12-2014 at 01:55 PM..

Old 03-12-2014, 01:11 PM

54 posts, read 96,704 times
Hopeful this happens ~

Old 03-13-2014, 10:08 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,178,892 times
Two pilots for NBC, including Ashley Judd ‘mega-church’ drama, shooting in Dallas | Dallas Morning News

Old 03-26-2014, 08:41 PM

50 posts, read 88,699 times
Quote:
From a logistics standpoint, Dallas has a great location. Direct flights to LAX or NYC which makes it easier on cast, crew and producers. Logistics has hurt Shreveport, La. as there are no direct flights from Shreveport to LA/NY or even to NEW ORLEANS and BATON ROUGE if you can believe it! Dallas could really become a super-player if the tax incentives were to be raised even a little bit just for the logistics benefits and hospitality amenities alone.
not even better tax incentives would save Dallas---as most of the work would still go to Austin. There are too many major problems in Dallas for there ever to be a real film business: inexperienced and corrupt crews, a terrible film commission, an unhelpful city. And people in Dallas just don't get film production. They don't want to deal with the inconvenience of it. Dallas is known throughout the major production hubs (New York and LA) as being extremely film unfriendly. Producers with any smarts generally know to avoid Dallas and Texas in general, but if they're going to shoot anywhere in Texas, it really has to be Austin. At least there the city and surrounding area get the general idea of film production and try to be accommodating. In Dallas, the city, film commission, and various unprofessional people who think they work in film production all work to create obstacles for production. I have seen this firsthand. It's assbackwards in Dallas. Also, there's no real diverse "looks" for Dallas. It's an ugly city filled with ugly people, and the "film community" is a total joke. That is why Dallas will never be on the map for production, unless there's some revolutionary changes with the City and Film Commission, which I don't see happening anytime soon. If you're interested in discussing specifics, please contact me directly and privately. I've worked on major productions in many different cities, and Dallas has been by far the worst. A true nightmare for productions. If you're looking to film in Dallas, do yourself a favor, and shoot somewhere else. You'll save a lot of time, money, energy, and heartache trying to deal with the corruption and lunacy that exists in Dallas.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:30 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,178,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random1982 View Post
Also, there's no real diverse "looks" for Dallas. It's an ugly city filled with ugly people, and the "film community" is a total joke. That is why Dallas will never be on the map for production, unless there's some revolutionary changes with
Oh really? -- I'm sure everyone will take you seriously now with that statement...

Old 03-27-2014, 11:46 PM

15,537 posts, read 10,516,019 times
They were filming a pilot episode in my Preston Hollow neighborhood last week. I have no idea what it was exactly, television production was the rumor I heard. They had the street roped off and a bunch of semi's were parked at the church parking lot. One of the trucks said Universal Studios, so who knows. It gave me something different to look at during my daily walkabouts.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:42 AM

16 posts, read 33,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random1982 View Post
not even better tax incentives would save Dallas---as most of the work would still go to Austin. There are too many major problems in Dallas for there ever to be a real film business: inexperienced and corrupt crews, a terrible film commission, an unhelpful city. And people in Dallas just don't get film production. They don't want to deal with the inconvenience of it. Dallas is known throughout the major production hubs (New York and LA) as being extremely film unfriendly. Producers with any smarts generally know to avoid Dallas and Texas in general, but if they're going to shoot anywhere in Texas, it really has to be Austin. At least there the city and surrounding area get the general idea of film production and try to be accommodating. In Dallas, the city, film commission, and various unprofessional people who think they work in film production all work to create obstacles for production. I have seen this firsthand. It's assbackwards in Dallas. Also, there's no real diverse "looks" for Dallas. It's an ugly city filled with ugly people, and the "film community" is a total joke. That is why Dallas will never be on the map for production, unless there's some revolutionary changes with the City and Film Commission, which I don't see happening anytime soon. If you're interested in discussing specifics, please contact me directly and privately. I've worked on major productions in many different cities, and Dallas has been by far the worst. A true nightmare for productions. If you're looking to film in Dallas, do yourself a favor, and shoot somewhere else. You'll save a lot of time, money, energy, and heartache trying to deal with the corruption and lunacy that exists in Dallas.
Maybe, it's just that you're an amateur.

Dallas has a record of film production both past and present that shatters your credibility.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:05 PM

974 posts, read 2,186,982 times
If you saw the film "Battle L.A." the street scenes were shot in Shreveport, LA at I-20 & I-49 interchange. They made the area look like Los Angeles under siege by aliens. The movie wasn't great but the point is that thanks to post-prodn compositing, they made the lackluster area in Shreveport look like Santa Monica Fwy & Harbor Fwy - Downtown L.A.

http://www.battlela.com/site/

The only reason they came to Shreveport was because of two things: They had the freeway terminus that they could get closed for filming AND the 30% transferrable tax credits. The transferrable feature of the tax credits is a big, big deal for filmmakers as they can cash in on those at a discount when transferred to a party looking for a tax break. That's the thing that has made Louisiana a go-to destination for filmmaking. If they didn't have this tax incentive, it wouldn't get as much attention as it has from Hollywood & NYC studios.

Last edited by BeenThereDunThat; 03-29-2014 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: add link for reference

Old 03-29-2014, 12:51 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,174,090 times
Quote:
If you saw the film "Battle L.A." the street scenes were shot in Shreveport, LA at I-20 & I-49 interchange. They made the area look like Los Angeles under siege by aliens. The movie wasn't great but the point is that thanks to post-prodn compositing, they made the lackluster area in Shreveport look like Santa Monica Fwy & Harbor Fwy - Downtown L.A.

Battle: Los Angeles - Official Site

The only reason they came to Shreveport was because of two things: They had the freeway terminus that they could get closed for filming AND the 30% transferrable tax credits. The transferrable feature of the tax credits is a big, big deal for filmmakers as they can cash in on those at a discount when transferred to a party looking for a tax break. That's the thing that has made Louisiana a go-to destination for filmmaking. If they didn't have this tax incentive, it wouldn't get as much attention as it has from Hollywood & NYC studios.
The same was true for This is the End, which was filmed in New Orleans, but was supposed to be LA.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:57 PM

50 posts, read 88,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Oh really? -- I'm sure everyone will take you seriously now with that statement...
..As someone who has worked as a location manager and scout on major productions for almost two decades, they should. i know what directors, production designers, and producers are looking for---firsthand, and dallas is significantly lacking: no hills. no beach. no good small town feels. there's not even good urban options here. it's just urban and suburban sprawl and a bunch of chains. dallas has no real character---no real soul---unlike the cities where major productions actually want to film in. also, everything is extremely spread out---making things even more difficult logistically... if productions want to film in Texas, there's a million reasons why they would choose Austin, over Dallas, but really, there's even better reasons for them to avoid Texas altogether. but again, the major factor is that Dallas just isn't film friendly---starting with the folks who are paid to be the most film friendly of all. there are big problems here. it's very corrupt. it might be painful for some of you Dallas lovers to hear, but if you want Dallas and/or Texas to seriously be on the map for film production (as opposed to being the jokes they currently are), then revolutionary change is needed. Unfortunately, most think that everything is great, and thus, the status quo is maintained.

Last edited by Random1982; 04-02-2014 at 03:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas